News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

The cambered rear wheel in this pic makes me wonder if the IRS rearend rumors are true.   AFAIK they still haven't given an official answer about that.

JB400

I'll have to wait until they put the manufacturers' noses on.   That one is just a generic body.

Aero426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 10, 2019, 10:36:37 PM

The cambered rear wheel in this pic makes me wonder if the IRS rearend rumors are true.   AFAIK they still haven't given an official answer about that.

It was discussed on local radio here prior to the car being announced that the car would have a transaxle and IRS.     Being that Dallara is building the cars, I certainly can't see them doing a live axle .     The new car seems like it is going to be "IMSA lite".  

LaOtto70Charger

Interesting looking car.  Reminds me of Carbon Fiber Lightning McQueen from the Cars video game.

RallyeMike

What's up with the alloy wheels?
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

JB400

They're stepping up to 18 inch wheels to make the cars look more like what's on the street

djcarguy

Quote from: JB400 on December 10, 2019, 11:31:55 PM
I’ll have to wait until they put the manufacturers’ noses on.   That one is just a generic body.

SOUNDS like 1 nose Fits All ??? 1frame an 1 body an teams put different stickers and paint an calls it a Toyota or Honda ???

JB400

Nascar is going to let the manufacturers design certain parts of the car within parameters.  I say this nose is to test those parameters.

Mike DC

OEM cars are all very aerodynamic from the factory now.  

The OEMs go many years between restylings now.  

With NASCAR's switch over to composite racing bodies, it won't be such a PITA to build & repair intricate body lines on the racers.

If this set of circumstances had existed in the 1980s/90s, NASCAR would never have moved away from stock-looking car bodies.  

But I don't expect them to go back to stock bodies any time soon.  That would make too much sense.  And it's not the path of absolute least resistance for the league.  

TruckDriver

I have also heard and read that the new cars have a good chance, but still not certain, of having the single lug nut like Indy cars. I forget the exact name used right now.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

RallyeMike

QuoteThey're stepping up to 18 inch wheels to make the cars look more like what's on the street

I thought the whole reason for a steel wheel is that steel typically bends under contact while alloy is more likely to break. 2021 will be interesting.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

odcics2

Quote from: RallyeMike on December 14, 2019, 12:39:02 AM
QuoteThey're stepping up to 18 inch wheels to make the cars look more like what's on the street

I thought the whole reason for a steel wheel is that steel typically bends under contact while alloy is more likely to break. 2021 will be interesting.

So much for "Rubbins Racin."     Now it'll be "Rubbins Wrecking!"    Hmm, could draw a few more fans that like wrecks.

Tell Nascar the word on the street is 22".   Again, behind the times... 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

RallyeMike

Quotehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erlNoAsoRN8

BOOM

Thanks - I enjoyed that throw back.

Darell was partly right, however, grass-roots loss is way bigger than just Nascar business decisions. Outlaw short tracks have dried up and disappeared because new generations have been absorbed into e-reality. When we raced hobby stocks 1989-1998 there were 100 registered cars in class. The tracks we raced at are now gone, and the local track to me now might have 4-5 cars per night, and they don't even run every Saturday. It's not because you can't buy a cheap pile and race it on a short track. The e-generations don't want to get dirty, hot, cold, or be separated from screen time. This is the most significant grass-roots loss  :rotz:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Mike DC

QuoteDarell was partly right, however, grass-roots loss is way bigger than just Nascar business decisions. Outlaw short tracks have dried up and disappeared because new generations have been absorbed into e-reality. When we raced hobby stocks 1989-1998 there were 100 registered cars in class. The tracks we raced at are now gone, and the local track to me now might have 4-5 cars per night, and they don't even run every Saturday. It's not because you can't buy a cheap pile and race it on a short track. The e-generations don't want to get dirty, hot, cold, or be separated from screen time. This is the most significant grass-roots loss  rotz

Meh.  

Racing has always been a money-losing operation for most of the people doing it.  The ones who aren't losing money are still usually working too hard just to financially tread water.  That's the same thing as losing money if you value your time.  

In 2019 non-wealthy America just doesn't have any money to spare.  It's been a downward slide for the last 40 years in the big picture.  Combine that, with the fact that car ownership/driving in general is no longer much fun for kids . . . bad combination for the future of racing.  

Chargen69

I think leaving places like rockingham and north Wilkesboro has had more of an effect than anybody gives it credit for.  Leaving the roots of racing to chase the $$ paid off for the short term.  Sure they went and found places to host big races and draw a lot of people. but where are those people now.  They all came to see a few races, and checked it off their list. now that nascar has been changing every thing trying to get people in the stands, they lost the diehard people that never missed a race.  we've been to our share of races, and we never EVER missed one on tv.  now I don't care if I see a race.  if I see one fine, if I don't fine.  until nascar goes back to rewarding the driver that is shows up and does well week in and week out, I don't care what they do.  They had a chance to hang on and catch a second wind, and then the chase happened.   there's no draw to hang in there weekly when you have the possibility of having a "Champion" that didn't race 1/3 of the season. now you could win 10 races in the season, one in every elimination round and come in 2nd in the final race and somebody else is the "champion"  give me a break that's stupid and everybody knows it, that's why they don't watch anyone.  that's why you can get a ticket to the next Bristol race without having to wait 2 or 3 years.  that's why they're pulling and have pulled thousands of seats out of tracks.

:flame: :brickwall: :soapbox: :soapbox: :violin: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :fireangry: :fireangry:

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Stevearino

As far as the new car is concerned they have awarded the contract to produce the chassis to a company in Michigan called Technic.  They currently supply the center section roll cage components and are gearing up for production. The transmission is located at the rear of the car and it is has independent rear suspension. Front and rear clips are to be a bolt on affair. It has a full belly pan. Aluminum wheels. Wider tires. What you see in the picture is the Nascar generic base car. The manufacturers are developing there own body panels from the greenhouse down so they will have common roofs , windshields back glass, A,B,and C pillars as well as common deck lids and body under pans. The manufacturers bodies must conform to a small aerodynamic box dictated by the generic body. They have talked about the desire to faze in hybrid and also stand alone electric motors ( we will see) All pieces of the car must be purchased from Nascar approved vendors. There will be no components built by the team shops. Here at Hendricks that means an end to our Carbon Components, Suspension components, body and chassis fabrication, our C and C operation ect. You get the picture. Lot's of people going home for good once this car is in place. While it is being sold as a cost cutting measure it is more a wealth consolidation program from where I stand.  Lots of unhappy folks going to have to learn to code.

odcics2

Quote from: Stevearino on December 22, 2019, 06:37:19 PM
As far as the new car is concerned they have awarded the contract to produce the chassis to a company in Michigan called Technic.  They currently supply the center section roll cage components and are gearing up for production. The transmission is located at the rear of the car and it is has independent rear suspension. Front and rear clips are to be a bolt on affair. It has a full belly pan. Aluminum wheels. Wider tires. What you see in the picture is the Nascar generic base car. The manufacturers are developing there own body panels from the greenhouse down so they will have common roofs , windshields back glass, A,B,and C pillars as well as common deck lids and body under pans. The manufacturers bodies must conform to a small aerodynamic box dictated by the generic body. They have talked about the desire to faze in hybrid and also stand alone electric motors ( we will see) All pieces of the car must be purchased from Nascar approved vendors. There will be no components built by the team shops. Here at Hendricks that means an end to our Carbon Components, Suspension components, body and chassis fabrication, our C and C operation ect. You get the picture. Lot's of people going home for good once this car is in place. While it is being sold as a cost cutting measure it is more a wealth consolidation program from where I stand.  Lots of unhappy folks going to have to learn to code.

:'(  :rotz:

JB400

Sounds like Nascar just bought the C7 Corvette, slapped it's own body on it, and is making an IROC car out of it.

chargerperson

How fast do you think the presidential limo went around the track?

JB400

I bet it set a track record.

djcarguy

Quote from: Stevearino on December 22, 2019, 06:37:19 PM

odcics2

Quote from: chargerperson on February 16, 2020, 04:30:53 PM
How fast do you think the presidential limo went around the track?

It was the perfect lap.  

:D

RallyeMike

QuoteAs far as the new car is concerned they have awarded the contract to produce the chassis to a company in Michigan called Technic.  They currently supply the center section roll cage components and are gearing up for production. The transmission is located at the rear of the car and it is has independent rear suspension. Front and rear clips are to be a bolt on affair. It has a full belly pan. Aluminum wheels. Wider tires. What you see in the picture is the Nascar generic base car. The manufacturers are developing there own body panels from the greenhouse down so they will have common roofs , windshields back glass, A,B,and C pillars as well as common deck lids and body under pans. The manufacturers bodies must conform to a small aerodynamic box dictated by the generic body. They have talked about the desire to faze in hybrid and also stand alone electric motors ( we will see) All pieces of the car must be purchased from Nascar approved vendors. There will be no components built by the team shops. Here at Hendricks that means an end to our Carbon Components, Suspension components, body and chassis fabrication, our C and C operation ect. You get the picture. Lot's of people going home for good once this car is in place. While it is being sold as a cost cutting measure it is more a wealth consolidation program from where I stand.  Lots of unhappy folks going to have to learn to code.

I guess select source sealed engines will be next. Then the conversion to the National Association of Giant Dwarf Car Racing will be complete.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"