News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

From Jayski...

NASCAR turns down 'General Lee': Concerned over the negative image of the Confederate flag, NASCAR told PGA star Bubba Watson he cannot drive his "General Lee'' show car around Phoenix International Raceway before the March 4 Sprint Cup race. Watson, an honorary race official for the event, was originally told he could appear in the #01 car from the "Dukes of Hazzard'' television series, which he purchased for $110,000 at an auction. NASCAR officials vetoed that because there is a Confederate flag on the roof of the bright orange Dodge Charger made famous in the series, which aired from 1979-85, and the sport is trying to distance itself from the negative image that brings. "NASCAR, International Speedway Corp. and Phoenix International Raceway officials discussed this and decided it was not in the best interest of our sport,'' NASCAR said in a statement on Friday. "The image of the Confederate flag is not something that should play an official role in our sport as we continue to reach out to new fans and make NASCAR more inclusive." Watson, who recently drove the car to the Phoenix Open golf tournament, wrote Thursday on Twitter: "Sorry to say @nascar won't let me drive The General Lee at the @PhoenixRaceway !!! #dreamcrushed." The Confederate flag still is flown by fans at many racetracks, particularly in the South. But NASCAR has made it clear over the years that it doesn't want to be associated with that image.(ESPN)(2-17-2012)

TruckDriver

Yup, I postyed that in the Charger section already ;)
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 17, 2012, 06:54:17 PM
From Jayski...

NASCAR turns down 'General Lee': Concerned over the negative image of the Confederate flag, NASCAR told PGA star Bubba Watson he cannot drive his "General Lee'' show car around Phoenix International Raceway before the March 4 Sprint Cup race. Watson, an honorary race official for the event, was originally told he could appear in the #01 car from the "Dukes of Hazzard'' television series, which he purchased for $110,000 at an auction. NASCAR officials vetoed that because there is a Confederate flag on the roof of the bright orange Dodge Charger made famous in the series, which aired from 1979-85, and the sport is trying to distance itself from the negative image that brings. "NASCAR, International Speedway Corp. and Phoenix International Raceway officials discussed this and decided it was not in the best interest of our sport,'' NASCAR said in a statement on Friday. "The image of the Confederate flag is not something that should play an official role in our sport as we continue to reach out to new fans and make NASCAR more inclusive." Watson, who recently drove the car to the Phoenix Open golf tournament, wrote Thursday on Twitter: "Sorry to say @nascar won't let me drive The General Lee at the @PhoenixRaceway !!! #dreamcrushed." The Confederate flag still is flown by fans at many racetracks, particularly in the South. But NASCAR has made it clear over the years that it doesn't want to be associated with that image.(ESPN)(2-17-2012)

Isn't that silly. Let's see now, Charger was a Nascar, General Lee was supposed to be a Nascar. General Lee fame probably brought lots of fans to Nascar. Suddenly they don't like it. From up in the track tower, it must look like a swastika on the roof to them. Maybe they're worried that all the fans will cry out for real cars instead of those cookie cutter, template specials they run now. I've never been to a Nascar race but was thinking about it. They're not doing much to reach out to me as a new fan.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: TruckDriver on February 17, 2012, 07:12:13 PM
Yup, I postyed that in the Charger section already ;)

Ooops - Sorry - I was pondering where I should have put it.

The70RT

And the cheating still goes on  :scratchchin: I know, I know of course all of them cheat  ::) but this seems to be a habit and wonder what will eventually happen to Knaus.....if anything?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

General_01

Sad news for Chris Myers. His 19 year old son was killed. He will not be at Daytona for the broadcast this week.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/story/2012-02-17/Son-of-Fox-studio-host-Chris-Myers-killed/53137330/1
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

nvrbdn

well,for the bud shoot out my driver knows the back bumper of everyone out there. ryan newman finished 7th. only because there was only 12 on the track. still my guy though.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

TruckDriver

Definatly a one of the most exciting Bud Shootouts ever. First time ever for Jeff Gorden getting on his roof in a cup car. I still don't like Kyle Busch, But he did deserve that one.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

nvrbdn

after gordon tried to wreck him and he saved it for the second time, yes he did deserve it. then gordon talks after the race sayin i dont know what happened, he was gettin loose like he did all night and i seen him wrecking so i tried to move up not knowing that someone was there. what a crock. but he did take him and jimmy out.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Indygenerallee

Heck of a race, Kyle knows how to drive and tonight he reminded everyone again! I have always liked him and the guy is a driver!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

TruckDriver

Quote from: Indygenerallee on February 18, 2012, 11:50:48 PM
Heck of a race, Kyle knows how to drive and tonight he reminded everyone again! I have always liked him and the guy is a driver!!

Yes he can drive, but I can't stand his attitute. Although, I will go as far to say, he is better then Kurt
PETE

A383Wing

I hope Kyle's little "Time Out" session last year helps with his attitude this year...so far from what I have seen...he is doing better.....the one that will tell how his "anger management" issue is doing will be when someone dumps him on purpose.

The kid can drive, that's for sure

Bryan

Budnicks

I wonder how the teams are liking the EFI set ups, they haven't said a whole lot about it... I also wonder if Kurt Busch has finally learned his lesson, he was a far nicer guy, even after being wrecked by Jeff Gordon trying to push his brother Kyle Busch out of the way {wrecked along with a bunch of other cars & Jeff Gordon ending the his race, with MWR cars on fire & him upside down}, how about those short little rear spoilers, they are making the cars really squirrelly in drafting, they cant even touch in the corners hardly... good race, that Kyle is a great driver, but too bad his attitude doesn't match his driving talent, I guess we will see, he was a nicer version of Kyle this time... I actually heard some cheering, after he got out of the car, after he won the race... Checkers or wreckers...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

The70RT

The Fox Network is off in my area and can't watch qualifying  :brickwall: anyone else?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Budnicks

Quote from: The70RT on February 19, 2012, 03:26:40 PM
The Fox Network is off in my area and can't watch qualifying  :brickwall: anyone else?
No were getting it here in NorCal...

nvrbdn

just watched the whole thing. danica did better than i expected, but there wernt any cars around her either.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

TruckDriver

I watched it. Carl Edwards POLE, Biffle 2nd.
PETE

A383Wing

Aero426

The Fords look strong like they did last year at the 500.

nvrbdn

fords were running strong. even trever in the woods car.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

TruckDriver

New Dodge Charger to be unveiled at Las Vegas

http://www.nascar.com/news/120220/2013-dodge-cup-series-car-las-vegas/index.html?eref=/news/headlines/cup

The 2013 Dodge Charger that will be run in the Sprint Cup Series beginning next season will be unveiled Mar. 11 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway following the driver's meeting prior to the running of the Kobalt Tools 400.

Ralph Gilles, Dodge's president and CEO of street and racing technology brand and motorsports, said Monday that fans have been relentless in asking about when the new car for 2013 will be revealed. The 2013 race car will more closely resemble the version of the car that is available for sale to the general public, which was the main goal of the project, Gilles added.

"When we did the Nationwide Challenger in 2010, the response we got was, 'Hallelujah, finally the race car is looking a lot like the car we can buy and drive," Gilles said. "We've got two rear-drive muscle cars in the Challenger and a Charger, so it really fits NASCAR well."

"It's been tough to keep the covers on this car. We've been working on it for over two years, developing it."

Gilles said he is excited about how the car not only looks, but how it has performed to date in limited NASCAR tests.

"I'm very pleased with the way the car turned out," Gilles said. "I think people will be shocked. They won't believe their eyes when they look at what basically looks like a street car with some flat rubber on it. It will be interesting to see what the response to it is."
PETE

nvrbdn

the car looks great, i cant tell from the angle, but is the front flat instead of laid back? seems like it will push air :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

jar1292

what? from the angle i see that aint a dodge Charger, it only has 2 doors... :nana:
Restoring a charger is like a saying I heard along time ago "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it".... Jesus I wish I could remember who said that...

Kern Dog

Considering the way that this country is headed with the insane political correctness and "cover your ass" mentality, I am not surprised at the General Lee snub. At the very least, they could have handled it better.
Nascar hasn't had real cars since the late 80s. I haven't watched a race since then.

Budnicks

Quote from: jar1292 on February 20, 2012, 08:14:10 PM
what? from the angle i see that aint a dodge Charger, it only has 2 doors... :nana:
It has no doors...LOL...