News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Petty Superbird Hauler Up For Sale

Started by nitrometal, February 20, 2008, 09:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitrometal

I just got of the phone with owner of this race car hauler.  It's been sitting in a field for 25+ years but he knows all the previous owners since Petty had it and they swear it's the real thing.  It is complete but it's in pretty rough shape and would take a lot of work not to mention the expense of hauling it halfway across the country which won't be cheap.

The more I think about it, the more I'm talking myself out of it.  It is a great piece of history though.  There was only six of these built by Chrysler and they all went to their top funded teams.  Dick Landy, Sox & Martin, Cotton Owens and Petty.  This particular one was originally painted white when Petty had it because he was still under contract with Ford for 1969 and he was sneaking out and testing the brand new Plymouth Superbird for the next season.

Just the thought of having the real thing to haul my car around would blow my mind.  Can you imagine what kind of attention it would get then!  But, all that work and expense is really discouraging me (and the wife, of course!).

Phil
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

hemigeno

That's an awesome find if it's the real thing.  Proving it's Petty pedigree will probably be very tough though.

My old truck project cured me of ever wanting to do a project like that ever again, but if someone was just bound-and-determined to fix it up it can be done.

nitrometal

Geno, was your truck in pretty rough shape when you got it?

Phil

Troy

That one or one of the others was for sale fairly recently. Without documented proof of ownership it's hard to say what it'd be worth (as-is or completed). Something I noticed - there's no way that thing will hold a Superbird - it's too short!

Last year I found an old race car hauler near me. It was a 67 or 68 truck but it had an extended frame with a corrugated "Frehauf" box on the back. It had 20' ramps and a winch for loading the car. I seriously wanted it but it would have cost a pile of money to make it nice and it wouldn't have been worth much more when finished. If I could have found some documentation or history I may have changed my mind - but probably not.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Aero426

There have been old timers on another board that have expressed doubt that this particular truck was a Petty hauler.

No doubt it is professionally constructed hauler and was likely used by a major team. 

Maybe Gene could comment, but I would not want to have to source a new cab for the thing. 

hemi68charger

That's pretty cool !!! If it's a Petty hauler, even more cool............

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

RAC95054

Do you have any more pictures of it?  It would seem like some registration history should be able to be found, if it's always been registered, that is.  And if you have other owner's names, that would make the task much easier.
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

nitrometal

Quote from: RAC95054 on February 20, 2008, 12:11:36 PM
Do you have any more pictures of it?  It would seem like some registration history should be able to be found, if it's always been registered, that is.  And if you have other owner's names, that would make the task much easier.

Yes, here's some more pics. 

He's known all four owners since Petty personally for 40 years or more (good friends of his, he said).  The worst damage is the B-pillar is wasted along with some of the roof and the cab would have to be replaced unless you are the ultimate body man.  The rest is mostly surface rust.  He restores cars for a living so I assume he knows what he's talking about.  Realistically it would be a ton of work and you would never recoup the costs of restoration.  But, man, it would be the ultimate conversation piece, wouldn't it?

nitrometal

More...

Howie

Where is it located? I recently purchased a 70`s dodge with a cumins in it and it hauls anything.

nitrometal

Quote from: Howie on February 20, 2008, 12:36:16 PM
Where is it located? I recently purchased a 70`s dodge with a cumins in it and it hauls anything.

Dade City, Florida near Tampa.  It has a 383 with a/c & power everything. He said that's why these haulers are so unique.  They sold a bunch of crew cabs to the railroad but they were always basic trucks.

hemigeno

Quote from: nitrometal on February 20, 2008, 10:15:20 AM
Geno, was your truck in pretty rough shape when you got it?

Phil

Yep  :brickwall:

hemigeno

Quote from: DougSchellinger on February 20, 2008, 10:38:59 AM
There have been old timers on another board that have expressed doubt that this particular truck was a Petty hauler.

No doubt it is professionally constructed hauler and was likely used by a major team. 

Maybe Gene could comment, but I would not want to have to source a new cab for the thing. 

I thought parts for Hemicars & Daytonas were tough to find, until I went looking for truck parts.  The bigger the truck is, the less likely you'll find parts in decent shape since they were rarely garaged.  However, you might have some luck finding parts if you JUST HAPPENED to find a similar vintage crewcab that was used by a Fire Department.

It would be a nice conversation piece, and it would definitely be a head-turner with a Petty 'Bird clone on the back as well.  Then comes the headache of trying to find a place to store it, finding opportunities to drive it, trying to keep it nice in order to protect the tremendous investment you'd undoubtedly have in it, etc. etc.  DAMHIK

nitrometal

That doesn't look anywhere near as bad as this one is!  And you said it "cured you of ever doing it again" eh?
I'm sure parts are scarce and hard to find.  What else did you run into?  Did you have a thread of this project?

BigBlockSam

thats a very cool hauler . I've always wanted to build one of them to carry my cars . that looks like it needs tons of work but it's doable . it just takes a hell of a commitment. good luck Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemigeno

Quote from: nitrometal on February 20, 2008, 12:53:11 PM
That doesn't look anywhere near as bad as this one is!  And you said it "cured you of ever doing it again" eh?
I'm sure parts are scarce and hard to find.  What else did you run into?  Did you have a thread of this project?

The pictures actually make it appear a better than it actually was.  With the floormat in, you can't see the Flintstone floorboard option; or some of the concealed rust damage we found in the fenders and nearly every other crack & crevice; or the roofing tar on the cab roof used to close up various holes.  The list goes on and on... The hood was in good condition though  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Granted, that car hauler has more visible surface rust than mine did - and I certainly cannot say that mine was in worse condition than it, because it may not have been.  However, I have given every person who asked me about doing a similar project of their own the same one-word counsel:  "Don't".  If you started with a truck that had every part in decent condition and only needed a cosmetic makeover it would be easier to justify.  What you end up with is not terribly practical and would make very little sense for the average person to own.  I am lucky enough to have a business which can somewhat justify what would otherwise be nothing more than an expensive conversation piece.  Oh, and if someone really wants a vintage truck with a modern rollback bed that badly, I can make them a heckufa good deal on mine. ;)

I think there were some before & after pictures posted on the old site about the truck, but I don't think I've ever done a formal thread about that excruciating process.  If I did, the nightmares would probably return. 

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on February 20, 2008, 01:43:17 PM

The pictures actually make it appear a better than it actually was.  With the floormat in, you can't see the Flintstone floorboard option; or some of the concealed rust damage we found in the fenders and nearly every other crack & crevice; or the roofing tar on the cab roof used to close up various holes.  The list goes on and on... The hood was in good condition though  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Granted, that car hauler has more visible surface rust than mine did - and I certainly cannot say that mine was in worse condition than it, because it may not have been.  However, I have given every person who asked me about doing a similar project of their own the same one-word counsel:  "Don't".  If you started with a truck that had every part in decent condition and only needed a cosmetic makeover it would be easier to justify.  What you end up with is not terribly practical and would make very little sense for the average person to own.  I am lucky enough to have a business which can somewhat justify what would otherwise be nothing more than an expensive conversation piece.  Oh, and if someone really wants a vintage truck with a modern rollback bed that badly, I can make them a heckufa good deal on mine. ;)

I think there were some before & after pictures posted on the old site about the truck, but I don't think I've ever done a formal thread about that excruciating process.  If I did, the nightmares would probably return. 

SPEEDWAY AUTO RECYCING would sure look great on the side of that roll back gene  !  :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

Quote from: moparstuart on February 20, 2008, 01:57:53 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on February 20, 2008, 01:43:17 PM

SPEEDWAY AUTO RECYCING would sure look great on the side of that roll back gene  !  :Twocents:

:callme:

daytonalo

I would take to my local scrap yard and be done with it !!!! Walk away with about 500 bucks !!What a waste of time and money

moparstuart

Quote from: daytonalo on February 20, 2008, 02:14:29 PM
I would take to my local scrap yard and be done with it !!!! Walk away with about 500 bucks !!What a waste of time and money
your 71 clone you might build would sure look great on it though  :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

62 Max

Magnumcharger

Ya know, finding one of those truck bodies out here in the west is almost too easy. I personally know where there are a few of them, languishing in the back of old wrecking yards. And when I suggest that they might be wearing their original coats of paint...you could probably bank on that.
I took a trip to Montana on the weekend, to retrieve my "new" Sweptline shortbox pickup (actually called a "Utiline") at the border.
The border town in question, Sweetgrass, was extremely small. So small in fact, that they had but one gas station, a bar, a dog and a tumbleweed.
The dog was trying to mate with it.
Anyhow, while waiting for the shipper to arrive, my brother and I decided to tour the town. That took about a minute.
In the process, we discovered a psuedo-junkyard mostly comprised of old Army vehicles of all types.
Also in that yard were several of that style of Dodge Power Wagons, all 1968 vintage. All ex-utility trucks of some kind, all in original paint...all rust-free!
When I finally received my truck, I had to park it with it's kinfolk for a family gathering!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

69_500

That reminds me of the town that I bought my Charger 500 out of. 1 gas station, 1 hotel (that was really just a house where they would rent you out a room), and not a whole heck of a lot else. Lots of wide open spaces though.

Magnumcharger

Yup...almost a ghost town.
My brother and I actually had to drive to the next down down the highway, Sunburst, to get a meal at the local diner (Big D's)
I had a Prime Rib sandwich....which was the special of the day, for $9.95. Man, was it ever good! :2thumbs:

Here's a couple more pictures of that "Petty" truck, and a few others like it.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Magnumcharger