News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How good is the chrome on these new repro parts?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 22, 2008, 06:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I know different parts are made by different companies, but I would think with these great prices now a days that most items are reproduced in China.  I know nothing beats N.O.S chrome from 40 year ago made in the good ole USA, but does anyone have any long term experience with some of the newer stuff out.  lets say like the flip gas cap or ring, or door handles?  Would it be fair to say just keep them waxed and the car garaged and the chrome will hang in there for years to come?  Or do things like the door handles chrome that get lots of use start to fade away?  Just wondering as Spring time approaches?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bill440rt

Actually, the chrome originally on these cars was pretty much garbage.
I'd say, for the most part, that the chrome on the repro parts is probably better than original. Especially the higher end repro parts that are available nowadays.

Nothing beats a professional, quality plating job from a company that specializes in show chrome.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Chatt69chgr

I've heard that the repop bumpers don't have real good chrome on them and that they start turning blue-ish after a couple or three years.  I don't know if it's true or not.  But what Bill says is probbly true overall.

bill440rt

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on February 22, 2008, 02:22:49 PM
I've heard that the repop bumpers don't have real good chrome on them and that they start turning blue-ish after a couple or three years.  I don't know if it's true or not.  But what Bill says is probbly true overall.

I have a pair of repro bumpers waiting to go on my '69. As far as quality, I'd say they are better than "original" chrome, but not as good as show chrome. They are better in quality than the offerings I've seen by the Bumper Boyz, etc. (Not trying to trash them, but their work didn't impress me.)
The repro bumpers are on par with what you'd see on a moderate show car. I was happy with them suited for the car I'm building.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1969chargerrtse

You know I never thought about bumpers?  Mine are repro's and the chrome is very good.  Always thought the old chrome was good also? :shruggy:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Mike DC

Chrome quality is sorta like paint quality -- 

The original parts were perfectly straight sheetmetal with a mediocre coating on top. 
The reproduction & restored stuff you see is generally crappier sheetmetal quality with a nicer coating on top. 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 22, 2008, 05:54:16 PM

Chrome quality is sorta like paint quality -- 

The original parts were perfectly straight sheetmetal with a mediocre coating on top. 
The reproduction & restored stuff you see is generally crappier sheetmetal quality with a nicer coating on top. 

Great, I'll take the nicer coating on top!

jerry

i have 4 original front and back bumpers laying around and still have pretty nice chrome for a 38 yr old bumper. get the originals re-plated if you want a nice piece. the repops are just what they are ,cheap with new chrome. the only people that like them are the ones that already spent the money and can't return them.or someone that wouldn't know the difference between a nice bumper and a look alike cheap repo. :Twocents:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: jerry on February 23, 2008, 09:48:28 AM
i have 4 original front and back bumpers laying around and still have pretty nice chrome for a 38 yr old bumper. get the originals re-plated if you want a nice piece. the repops are just what they are ,cheap with new chrome. the only people that like them are the ones that already spent the money and can't return them.or someone that wouldn't know the difference between a nice bumper and a look alike cheap repo. :Twocents:
What I'm really after is not bumper comments.  How about the new gas cap and ring I just bought, or the door handles, SE emblem?  I have a repro Honda CT 70, China made.  The rubber and re chrome is just cheap, the chrome rust easy if not always kept waxed.  The rubber signal boots in both front and rear rotted off within a year.  This is the stuff I wonder about?  The gas cap ring etc... Is it good stuff or cheap China stuff.  One thing I know is it's cheap in cost and I love that.  I would think that cap and ring would be an easy 350.00 years ago.  To get the cap and ring for 90.00 ( 20% off code ) blew my mind.

bill440rt

Quote from: jerry on February 23, 2008, 09:48:28 AM

Really, Jerry??
Well, I for one know the difference.  :slap:

To me, it seems the repros are actually made of a slightly thicker metal than the originals (I've compared side by side). Again, if you're building an ALL OUT SHOW CAR, then you'll want a set rechromed by a company specializing in show chrome.
They fit my car very nice during the test fit. The only "problem" I found was that the front bumperettes do not fit very well against the bumper.  They have an angled notch vs. a rounded contour to match the profile of the bumper.
The chrome was decent for the price these bumpers cost, which is minimal. I've paid more than DOUBLE just in rechroming a bumper than what these things cost.

Bottom line is that you get what you pay for. I'd have no problem putting them on a moderate show car, cruise-night type car, etc. They're decent, but not great.