News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starting Daytona Project Finally with a 70 charger

Started by petercharger, February 25, 2008, 09:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharger

Well I finally found the car..its a 70 charger that came from Boise and it's very solid with no rust..the fenders are perfect along with the hood etc. I am selling my 69 charger and the wing is for sale..Took the car to the body shop and according to the shop it will be ready for paint in about 4 weeks..in the mean time..does anyone have a nice set of pictures and instructions on what is the best way to place the Vega plug in..I gave the body shop several past articles on how members did it..would like something more resent?? If anyone needs 70 charger fenders or a hood...I have them..will post pictures as project develops...here are pictures of the car that I picked up on Saturday...thanks for the great web site...Peter  brushcollege@msn.com   left Dane a message for one of his wings...anyone have you gotten the new hollow one's from him??
best way to get a hold of me is brushcollege@msn.com...thanks

Old Moparz

Hey there,

Nice car, & it sounds like a great project. I don't have the hollow wing, but I bought one of Dane's solid wings a couple of years ago & can only tell you he is a great person to deal with. There are tons of topics in the Aero forum with lots of photos, you'll just have to scroll through & see what others have done. Hope the conversion goes smooth & good luck.

Keep us updated with some more photos if you can.   :cheers:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

petercharger

Thanks I know Dane, He only lives about 15 miles from me and He does a great wing..just trying to determine if hollow or solid wing would work for me..I know the weight is an issue to some..looking forward to posting more pictures..bought a 70 440 six pack motor a couple of years ago with no miles on it to be placed in the daytona...should rock

69charger2002

i'm putting a 70 6 pack 440 and pistol grip 4 speed in my 70 R/T(daytona clone). man that looks like a super solid 70 . congrats
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

petercharger

I have a solid 70 charger hood, and a pair on nice 70 fenders and a OK drivers spare fender...can send pictures if interested...shipping fenders via grayhound will work,but the hood can be an issue and would have to be trucked...thanks

Magnumcharger

Why are you selling your '70 Hood and fenders....when you're building a Daytona clone? :scratchchin:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

petercharger

bought hood and fenders for 69 charger, but decided to find a 70 charger instead, so this are spares...thanks  :popcrn:

Howie

I have one of Danes hollow wings and love it. It looks like he put a lot of work into it and it is a very nice quality wing. :Twocents:.

moparstuart

Quote from: petercharger on February 25, 2008, 09:18:52 PM
Well I finally found the car..its a 70 charger that came from Boise and it's very solid with no rust..the fenders are perfect along with the hood etc. I am selling my 69 charger and the wing is for sale..Took the car to the body shop and according to the shop it will be ready for paint in about 4 weeks..in the mean time..does anyone have a nice set of pictures and instructions on what is the best way to place the Vega plug in..I gave the body shop several past articles on how members did it..would like something more resent?? If anyone needs 70 charger fenders or a hood...I have them..will post pictures as project develops...here are pictures of the car that I picked up on Saturday...thanks for the great web site...Peter  brushcollege@msn.com   left Dane a message for one of his wings...anyone have you gotten the new hollow one's from him??
why did you decide to switch to a 70 body ?  69 with 70 front sheet metal would be more accurate !  or was the 70 body just in that much better shape?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Daytona Guy

Look at those tail lights. Are they 69's in a 70 or the rare 70's lens (with built in reflector required by law in 70) with the chrome trim?  They put those on the cheep 70's to get rid of the extra 69 chrome but left off the complete 69 chrome that goes around the eyebrows and under the trunk. Some of these chargers did not come with upper door pads either and came with a bench seat.

billssuperbird

petercharger

car's in body shop and according to the shop it will be ready for paint in about a 2 week...they are working on it fast...have a fab shop lined up to do Vega plug for about 1k...I am making sure that they are not cutting corners...still have not gotten a hold of stinger..anyone know if he is on vacation or doing shows?? I can wait on the wing but want the nose here to have body shop start matching the charger..any info would help..thanks peter

hemi68charger

Looks like you have a great initial start there.........  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bzabodyn

Congrats on the find Peter - looks like a super solid body for a starting point...

Good luck on finding everything you need for your project!

BZ
1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

hotrod98

Quote from: petercharger on February 28, 2008, 10:42:40 AM
car's in body shop and according to the shop it will be ready for paint in about a 2 week...they are working on it fast...have a fab shop lined up to do Vega plug for about 1k...I am making sure that they are not cutting corners...still have not gotten a hold of stinger..anyone know if he is on vacation or doing shows?? I can wait on the wing but want the nose here to have body shop start matching the charger..any info would help..thanks peter

You might want to have the fab shop check out some of the threads regarding the installation of the vega plug.
Several of us have installed them and he could contact one of us if needed.
Don't forget the 3rd gen charger dutchman panel to close out the area between the plug and the trunk opening.
I guess you already have the deck lid reinforcement closeout panel.
Keep us posted on the project as it progresses.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

and remember the hatch does not go all the way to the top of the opening . there's a space on top. i've seen 2 cars done that way, looks wrong. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

petercharger

Thanks have given the information to them on the plug..they may start next week on the Vega plug..got hold of stinger and should be getting the nose in couple of weeks. question..besides having the Vega plug installed, should I hold off the body shop from painting the car until nose is complete?? reason I ask is that they body shop may want to paint the car to get it out of the shop an not wait until the nose comes in..what are your suggestions?? thanks peter

BigBlockSam

hey Pete
  you are no were near paint time . you have a lot of test fitting  and fab work to do . you would mess up any paint job you do now. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

Quote from: BigBlockSam on February 28, 2008, 10:58:48 PM
and remember the hatch does not go all the way to the top of the opening . there's a space on top. i've seen 2 cars done that way, looks wrong. Rene

It looks very wrong. The plug will naturally fit onto the opening at about 2 inches from the roof line. I use a steel ruler laid flat on the roof overlapping the vega plug. I then move the plug up and down until the transition is smooth.
I use a piece of the vega plug that's left over after cutting it to fit. I tape up the back side of the piece, lay it over the 2" opening at the top of the plug and spray the back side with black spray paint from inside the car. Makes a perfect outline of where to cut it. Fit's perfectly the first time.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteThe plug will naturally fit onto the opening 

:yesnod:  ah, yep . i notched the sail panels too. some people don't do that . Rene

hotrod98

Makes life a lot easier cutting that slice on both sail panels doesn't it?
As soon as I made those two cuts, the vega plug fell right in.

Charles Addams

petercharger

Just got back from Vancouver BC..Meet DINO who is doing a superbird with a hemi motor. I ended up buying his daytona nose, wing etc. What I am missing is the lower valance and top latch... I again emailed stinger and now answer..does anyone have at least a lower valance I could buy??? will post pictures of the progress of the car...I know the car is not ready for paint and trying to get the body parts for the shop to fit with body...thanks for all your help...also will also take pictures of the 70 spare stuff..could not post .. said to large a file..so will email all you back who have a need. thanks again peter

BigBlockSam