News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

clicking sound when I turn the steering wheel

Started by Charger72SE, March 09, 2008, 05:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger72SE

there is a clicking sound whenever I make a turn & spin the steering wheel.  This year I'd like to take care of it.  Does anyone have any ideas on where to look?  It is definitely coming from the steering column

many thanks!!

chgr500

Quote from: Charger72SE on March 09, 2008, 05:46:05 PM
there is a clicking sound whenever I make a turn & spin the steering wheel.  This year I'd like to take care of it.  Does anyone have any ideas on where to look?  It is definitely coming from the steering column

many thanks!!

Do your turn signals work properly and cancel after turns?

Charger72SE

yep, the turn signals work just fine - holding and canceling during use

Tilar

I'd say it is either the upper bearing, or you are hearing the cam that cancels the turn signals. Does it do it all the time or only when you actually have the lever pulled to activate the signals?
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Charger72SE

it does it all the time, whether I have a turn signal on or not

where is the upper bearing located??

thanks much!

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Charger72SE

thanks guys!!

where can you order a new upper bearing?

RD

Quote from: Charger72SE on March 12, 2008, 07:01:05 PM
thanks guys!!

where can you order a new upper bearing?

just pop it out, clean it, and regrease it. those hardly ever go bad.

if it is that, great, but it may be your locking mechanism riding on your steering lock lever just gradually to cause a click.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Charger72SE

thanks RD!

I just got the Charger out of storage yesterday after a loooong Wisconsin winter.

so I'll be able to check it out and get it taken care of

have a good summer!!

hutch

mine did that, it turned out to be the steering gear  joint that connects to the column was rubbing on the headers.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"