News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Soda Blasting???

Started by 68_R/T_Eric, March 05, 2008, 12:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68_R/T_Eric

I ran into a guy here in Salt Lake City that soda blasts. As far as i know soda blasting is fairly new and i was wondering if any of you have had experience with the finished product? Also if there was any negatives to soda blasting? The guy said he would do the outside of the car for $800.00 dollars and the whole car for around $1500.00 Let me know what you think!!! The guy's website is www.utahsodablasting.com

-Eric

shaunman1979

Whats up Eric. Glad to see some Utah guys here  :cheers: I have talked to that same guy, he seems a little steep in price as compared to come Media Blasting places. I dont know if this is correct of not but I have heard that with soda blasting it can sometimes ruin the ph level of the metal making it harder for paint and primer to adhear. Has anyone else heard this same thing? I have a Ford Falcon that I am getting ready to take to Gary Lowe. He is out of West Point I can get you his number if you want and you can see if his prices seem fair. He has done some great work using media.

Shaun

defiance

My charger was soda blasted at the start of its adventure in body work.  Pros, I'd say it did a good job.  Everything came off clean, no damage I could find anywhere as a result of the blasting. 
Cons: Man, that crap is in EVERYTHING! :P  It dissolves in water and comes out, but believe me, that does NOT mean it comes out easy!  Weeks later and several cleanings, it was still coming out of cracks! :)

And wow... at least for me ... be prepared...  It exposed a whole lot more under-paint damage than I'd expected.  There were places where panels were literally swiss-cheesed with rust that had been skimmed with bondo and painted  :brickwall:

But yeah - I was pretty happy with what I saw of the results from the soda blasting.  No idea what the price was for mine, though; that was all handled by the body shop and it's just one of a WHOLE CRAPLOAD of line items...

68_R/T_Eric

Thanks for your input guy's!!! Those two issues were what i was wondering about fist of all if paint adheres to it because of the baking soda. and I'm sure it creates a big mess trying to wash it off when the whole car is blasted! Shaun That would be great if i could get that guy's number who does the media blasting. I'm actually taking the motor out tomorrow and want to do some cast iron motor parts so the sooner the better would be great!!!

Thanks

Eric

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 68_R/T_Eric on March 05, 2008, 06:31:16 PM
Thanks for your input guy's!!! Those two issues were what i was wondering about fist of all if paint adheres to it because of the baking soda. and I'm sure it creates a big mess trying to wash it off when the whole car is blasted! Shaun That would be great if i could get that guy's number who does the media blasting. I'm actually taking the motor out tomorrow and want to do some cast iron motor parts so the sooner the better would be great!!!

Thanks

Eric

You need to sand the metal before applying anything to it , the sada actually polishes the metal making it to smooth for any type of mechanical adhesion.

And as said it gets EVERYWHERE and you need to get it out or it will hold moisture.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

68_R/T_Eric

Sweet Thanks for the tip!!! That is a good point! :iagree:

BlueSS454

Besides sanding the metal, you also need to neutralize the film that the soda leaves behind.  I used laquer thinner, then a wax and grease remover before hitting the test panel I did with 80 grit and a DA.  So far so good.
Tom Rightler

keepat

You must wash the car with a solutions by Hold Tight before painting I've had two cars soda blasted and after blowing it off with air I would do all metal bumping and welding which help knock soda out of all the nook's and cranny's. Then after two or three weeks I would blow the car down again and then I would wash it down with Hold Tight.  sales@holdtight.com The soda dust is a rust inhibitor for about a month or two and the Hold Tight is good for another mouth or two.
Here are some pictures of the car I'm working on now. Sorry it's not a Mopar.
I hope this helps.
Pat

soda blaster

Soda Blasting is a very good way of removing the paint and other contaminates from your car, and if done right with proper air systems you will not end up with a car full of soda. There is definitely a method to  blowing the car off after wards. As far as prep goes you do have a few steps you need to do before you paint. Soda Blasting  takes the metal back to how it was from the factory so paint adhesion should not be a  issue IF you do your prep work.  We are a  Utah based company  out of West Jordan www.stewartspecialtyservices.com I am more than happy to answer any question you might have with soda blasting or if you want to come down to the shop we can show you first hand how it works. With over 30 years experience we have a portfolio that spans the world.

68_R/T_Eric

Soda Blaster

I might have to take you up on your offer. Where exactly are you located in west Jordan? It would be cool to come down and check out your shop! Thanks for everyone's advice!! :icon_smile_big:

68_R/T_Eric

Keepat,

Thanks for the pics even though it's not a mopar it still looks like you are doing a good job on the restoration! The soda blasting looks like it did a pretty good job stripping and a good base to start the restoration!

Eric

soda blaster

We are at 4152 west 8370 south suite D Right next to Tough Country Suspensions. We will doing a bunch of different things in the shop this week so feel free to stop by and check it out.

daytonalo

Been  sandblasting for over 20 years , why would I go soda ?  If your good you wont warp panels , and it etches metal like nothing else . I buy triple ooo sand for 4.50 per 100 pound bag , I have a 200 lb pressure  hopper and tow behind diesel comp , and use a 3/16 nozzle . It strips very fast