News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

pinholes found in floor, how to fix?

Started by 1BAD68, March 12, 2008, 09:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

I pulled my carpet and after hitting the floor with a drill and wire brush I found a few small pinholes on the passenger side front.
Whats a good way to fix?
I'm thinking of cleaning all the rust out and then welding up the pinholes then sealing with something like Por15.

bill440rt

You can try to weld them, but chances are the metal is fairly thin around these holes & you'll just blow them larger.
Try to weld first, couldn't hurt. If you find you're just blowing holes, then cut out the area & weld in a small patch.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hemi-hampton

I've welded up small holes like that many times but you'll have to keep the heat range or amperage down low, about as low as it will go or you will blow holes through the thin metal. LEON. :scratchchin:

thatildo68

sometimes when mig welding gaps i clamp a piece of say 1/4 inch thick piece of copper behind the area,the steel weld
wont fuse to the copper and will fill the hole with out blowing through. the copper plate comes off cleanly most of
the time falling straight off provides a good heat sink to! great when youve cut a gap to wide as well
good luck mate. -harry

The70RT

You need to cut out and add like a 6X6 patch or whatever size after you cut the rusty part out to do it right. Your not gonna have any luck welding those holes shut  :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

charger2fast4u

:iagree: i'm welding holes like that in my floor right now. best thing to do is make a new piece of sheet metal up and weld it in. plus i like doing it this way because it eliminates the pitted metal around it and gets replaced with new metal. not to mentin the pain in the ass quick tack welds to build up enough so it wont blow through.

six-tee-nine

You can weld that but it's pretty kinky and will take some patience.

If you want to do a no compromise resto then i'd say replace the pan ecause the area you have there is pretty thin.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Silver R/T

I believe por15 makes something just for holes like that. Its thicker than regular por15 so it will just fill up holes and area around it then you just paint/undercoat it.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

The70RT

After looking at the ribs on the left of the picture they are pitted bad. I can't see the other areas but if most of it is like that I would replace the front floor pan on that side. Or cut out what you need to & piece and trim it to fit. To make it look factory you would have to use the whole piece unless it doesnt matter or you take time finishing your welds. I guess it depends on the kind of resto you are doing, you could just try to get most of the rust out and just cover it with some kind of filler or coating but that is just a short term fix.  :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Charger-Bodie

Cut it out and butt weld in a new piece. Done.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

StockMan

I would want to get inside of that frame rail for some prep and paint.  Mine were like that so I chose to replace the pans and found that it was a good thing as the rail did need attention.  These rails sometime rot from the inside out.