News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Dodge Charger Sheet Metal

Started by 1968Coronet500, March 20, 2008, 01:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968Coronet500

My mopar parts guy told me that the new Fenders, Hoods, and Full Quarter Panels for the '70 Chargers are coming out by 2 or 3 quarter of this year!! :drool5:  I've already bought the new '69 Charger Hoods and they are dead on as far as weight/fabrication goes...

Death1970Proof

Any word on a valance....I need one thats better than what I have now....
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

Daytona R/T SE

There will be no '70 Front sheet metal.

NO fenders.

NO hoods.

NO Valances.

period.

Scroll to the bottom of this link:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,30067.90.html

Death1970Proof

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 21, 2008, 06:53:30 PM
There will be no '70 Front sheet metal.

NO fenders.

NO hoods.

NO Valances.

period.

None!!!??????????????????  :o Let me guess they probably figure they wouldnt sell as many because the '70s are in the minority of 2nd gen chargers. I may have to swap to the '68/9 style clip if thats the case, my '70 valance is beyond repair...  :-\

Last time I checked year one did offer a fiberglass hood for '70..whether they still do or not...??? :shruggy:
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

Spike

Not so much the minority as 70 parts are a one year deal only.
Fenders, hood, front valance all 70 Charger only. It cost a lot for tooling as it is, never mind making parts for a one year application.

1968Coronet500

The '70 Charger Fenders and Hoods are slated for production, you won't see any pricing, etc. until they have been approved and in route for sales.  That's how it worked for the other Sheetmetal.  There is enough of a demand for the '70 Chargers parts.  We will all be glad to see more of the old cars put back on the road!! :2thumbs:

Death1970Proof

Quote from: Spike on March 21, 2008, 07:19:12 PM
Fenders, hood, front valance all 70 Charger only. It cost a lot for tooling as it is, never mind making parts for a one year application.

I see much more 68/9 chargers...than 70s however

Blown70

Quote from: Death1970Proof on March 21, 2008, 06:57:42 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 21, 2008, 06:53:30 PM

Last time I checked year one did offer a fiberglass hood for '70..whether they still do or not...??? :shruggy:

I got a 70 fiberglass hood but not from year one if you really want I can look up where I got mine it was something to the effect of wsracingfiberglass?  GOOD PARTS  they also make a fiber glass front bumper for a 70 Charger,  I cannot handle all the weight on my front end.

Blakcharger440

Quote from: 1968Coronet500 on March 22, 2008, 12:57:06 AM
The '70 Charger Fenders and Hoods are slated for production, you won't see any pricing, etc. until they have been approved and in route for sales.  That's how it worked for the other Sheetmetal.  There is enough of a demand for the '70 Chargers parts.  We will all be glad to see more of the old cars put back on the road!! :2thumbs:

I sure hope this is true! I could use some fenders for my 1970 Charger Plumcrazy 500!

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Spike on March 21, 2008, 07:19:12 PM

Yep they are more rare. The front end parts would be useful to those wanting to make a Daytona Clone also!

Daytona R/T SE

Pure fantasy.

Here's the facts straight from Jeremy at AMD, not some "Mopar parts guy" or the tooth fairy or any other imaginative bullshitter:

Daytona R/T SE,

I talked to my boss this morning.  We will not be making hoods or fenders for the 70 Chargers.  Because they are specific to one model year only, quite honestly, we couldn't sell enough parts to cover the expense of the tooling.  This will probably create a lot of conversation but, unfortunately, there are a lot of parts for a lot of different year/make/models that companies won't make due to factors like this.

I'm sorry to disappoint.  We'd love to make everything for everybody but we have to make the right business decisions.

Let me know if you have any questions.  I'll answer them as best as I can.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

Case closed.

Derwud

The true question to ask is what was total production for 68-69-70? Would 70 owners be willing to pay a preimum for these parts if they were produced?
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

Crazy Larry

Is it out of the realm of possibility of one of these metal companies to start buying the new 68/69 fender sheet metal and converting them to 70?
That would be cheaper than tooling for a whole new fender and you could fabricate the 70 fenders on an order to order basis.
sounds like one could make as buck doing it that way

Death1970Proof

What a letdown...It would be nice if somebody would consider making a valance... :'(

Mike DC

Crazy Larry took the words out of my mouth.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone investigate the economics of making some partial-panel-sized patch sections. That way you could convert a '68/69 fender into the 1970 part.

Nobody is saying it's as good as getting a real 1970 fender. 
But most used '70 fenders you find these days already need at least as much repair work as this conversion job would be.   And producing smaller sections of just the outer skin of a fender is a hell of a lot less tooling investment than a whole fender. 

Lowprofile

Quote from: Death1970Proof on March 23, 2008, 07:57:09 AM
What a letdown...It would be nice if somebody would consider making a valance... :'(

I agree! 70 Front end parts are hard to find........You would think with all the restos of 70's going on + all the people needing hoods/fenders for their Daytona clones that it would/could not be profitable?

Just my  :Twocents: :shruggy: :scratchchin:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Derwud on March 22, 2008, 10:49:24 PM
The true question to ask is what was total production for 68-69-70? Would 70 owners be willing to pay a preimum for these parts if they were produced?

roughly....

'68           96,100 units
'69           89,200 units
'70           49,800 units

BBD

Derwud

Well that is a different story, but still sucks for us... I guess I'll be praying to the Bondo gods...
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Lowprofile on March 23, 2008, 03:37:49 PM
Quote from: Death1970Proof on March 23, 2008, 07:57:09 AM

I agree! 70 Front end parts are hard to find........You would think with all the restos of 70's going on + all the people needing hoods/fenders for their Daytona clones that it would/could not be profitable?

Just my  :Twocents: :shruggy: :scratchchin:

Im a 68 Guy myself, but I would think it would make sense to make 70 front end parts atleast.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69charger2002

who are you exactly and where are you getting your info?
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Crazy Larry

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 23, 2008, 11:28:22 AM
Crazy Larry took the words out of my mouth.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone investigate the economics of making some partial-panel-sized patch sections. That way you could convert a '68/69 fender into the 1970 part.

Nobody is saying it's as good as getting a real 1970 fender. 
But most used '70 fenders you find these days already need at least as much repair work as this conversion job would be.   And producing smaller sections of just the outer skin of a fender is a hell of a lot less tooling investment than a whole fender. 

Exactly Mike - I was thinking about some of these auto metal companies - if they made a patch, they wouldn't even have to sell it, they could just use it to convert the fenders on their own and then sell more fenders (with an adjusted price of course). It seems like that would be a way of increasing sales, and instead of turning away customers, you have an option for them.

And I would have to say, it can't be too difficult, since you are basically taking away metal from the fender instead of adding too much on.
I'm sure any auto metal/restoration shop could make the conversion, simplify the process and start turning out fenders on a regular basis. After that, all 2nd gen Charger owners will have options other than the uber-inflated yard/ebay market.

AKcharger

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 22, 2008, 10:20:20 PM

Pure fantasy.

Here's the facts straight from Jeremy at AMD, not some "Mopar parts guy" or the tooth fairy or any other imaginative bullshitter...

Well I have a source in a Communist Chinese re-education camp factory in Zing Xaung who said they just got the samples back after test fit in the corrected models should be out in July. It was supposed to be late Nov but they just got a bunch of new 'workers" in from Tibet so production has sped up!  :coolgleamA:

hemi-hampton

Maybe another company is making them & not AMD? Tibet? wonder how much they get paid a hour? :scratchchin: :-\ LEON.