News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Zo's 70 Charger Project

Started by SoCal Zo (.)(.), March 20, 2008, 08:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

Hey Everyone,

Well I just began the long and grueling process of restoring my charger. I've had it since May of last year, I bought if from a guy in Colorado. I live in Cali so I didn't get to look at the charger in person (Not the best way to buy a car :-\). The car looked in good shape from the pictures, but pictures are very misleading.Take a look

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

Heres what I found after many hours of sanding away bondo. Not what I was expecting, but hey theres no point to get upset with it. At this time all that matter is that I bring her back to life. It look like something riped threw the QP . The previous owner did not try to fix it the right way (Replace the QP). Instead he put about $100 worth of Bondo on it to cover it up. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

More

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

So the goal it to make picture 1 look like picture 2 :scratchchin: . The second one is BlackNBlowns. I love his  car and would like mine to resemble it. :2thumbs: A lot of work, but as you all know it well worth the trouble.

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

So today I finished sanding down the doors. I was a paint bcuz one door had a bit of bondo on it. Anyway I manged to clean them up pretty good, but found a few dents on them. Nothing too bad so I'm going to attempt to fix as many holes without body filler. Also the body lines look a little worn out and I would love to sharpen them up a bit . I've never done any type of body work(NOOB), so I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction? :shruggy:

yeahitsgotahemi!

Thats a shame about all the bondo. Sorry to see that. As far as sharpening up the body lines, theres alot of stuff on here about that, try searching. Also, I think you might want to wait until you have the quarters replaced and all the panels hanged and fitted before putting any filler on, as you want a straight line across all the panels and working on a piece at a time might not get the best results, but I'm no expert. Good luck!
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

MoParMetal

wow and i thought i had a lot of bondo! sucks that they used mud to "fix" the quarter panels. :-\
looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

markstealth91

Hey Zo,
I know how you feel, waited all my life, checked the car out seemed good, then while I was prepping it for pain I kept finding bondo spots and it led to exactly the same situation! I know the pain and at the same stage sadly, but look at it positively, at least our cars have owners who want to fix them correctly, and when they are all done and we are driving them around it will be all good.
-Mark

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

Thanks Mark,

These baby's aren't easy to find, so making sure there restored the proper way is a MUST!!!. Also "yeahitsgotahemi" your right about waiting for the QP to be replaced and aligned before I start fixing the doors. This weekend I have to privilege of sanding the front fenders Woo Whoo!!!(  :ohhthesarcasm:) \ Here are my two fenders, if you look close to the second picture you can see theres absolutely no body line on it :ahum:. I'm willing to bet theres about 5 pound of Bondo on it. The other one feels a lot better and might have just a bit of filler on it, but I,m not holding my breath. I'll keep you guys posted with pics once the Bondo and I, fight it out. :girlfight:

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Derwud

Sorry about the problems, but like someone said, at least it's in the hands of someone that is going to fix it right.

So where is all this work being done?
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

I'm going to be doing all the work myself. I've never done any type of body work, but I have an awesome neighbor who is very familiar with my situation and is willing to show me how to fix it. He also has a charger that he had to put back together that came out amazing. I figure I would save money by doing the work by myself and also learn a new skill.  :cheers:

Derwud

Quote from: SoCal Zo (.)(.) on March 22, 2008, 03:21:54 PM
I'm going to be doing all the work myself. I've never done any type of body work, but I have an awesome neighbor who is very familiar with my situation and is willing to show me how to fix it. He also has a charger that he had to put back together that came out amazing. I figure I would save money by doing the work by myself and also learn a new skill.  :cheers:

Where do you live?

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

Ventura, CA. Why do you ask? :scratchchin:

Derwud

I'm in Pasadena and thought maybe I could stop by, but that is bit far..

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

OK Gentlemen,

I know I said I would get these fenders sanded by this weekend, but family was in town and I had to entertain. Hers the drivers side fender, this one feels like it has the most filler on it. I only managed to remove some of the filler from the top of the fender.  Here's a pic before and after. The top of the fender is a little bumpy. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to smooth out this area with as little filler as possible. The fender looks a lot worse in the picture then it really is and the  red areas are just old pain. Any advice would be appreciated. Thankz

Zo

terrible one

Before even starting to think about fixing the top of it, I'd strip the side down to see what's hiding under all that bondo. I'd be worried myself, due to the absence of a body line. If the top is wrinkled up, I would bet it took a hit to the side of that quarter and you've got some surprises when you start sanding on the profile.

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

Ok,

So I was doing some more sanding on my fender. The more Bondo I remove, the sadder I got :icon_smile_dissapprove:. The fender is so wrinkled,  I'm not sure if its fixable. Has anyone run into the same situation?

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

more :pullinghair:

LeeBoy

You have your work cut out for you. Your gonna need these. The last ones a metal shrinking hammer.
My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

MoParMetal

thats not as bad as i originally thought. thats ALMOST as bad as my quarter panel. it discourages me so. and that piece of bondo you were holding was the minimum on my quarter. hope you're wearing a mask of some sort when your doing that. at least that baby is got what she deserves. a good home with someone who wants to do it right.
looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

Finn

WOW....I totally didn't see that one coming.

My front right fender was terrible but the rest wasn't bad compared to yours.
It looks like it was in a demolition derby lol.
Good luck dude!
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

Hey guys,

I was working on my fenders today and decided I wanted to do a little cleaning. When I bought the car the prev owner told me that the back seat was not original. Can anyone tell me if this seat is for a charger? I would like to know if its correct so I can keep it or throw it away.

r73mopar

bondo :flame: :brickwall: :'( yes that is a seat for a charger but i dont know if its correct for a 70 it is the same as the one in my 73.

SoCal Zo (.)(.)

I found I passenger side Qp. Has lower rust issue, but looks in good shape. The guy is giving me a good price for it. Can anyone tell me if this would work for me? It looks like I have to buy a patch panel for the bottom.  :shruggy: