News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Operation HOOK...the frame ties are in!!! (w/pics)

Started by Hemidoug, March 22, 2008, 05:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidoug

Went to pick up the car from my chassis guy and I got to see the frame ties he made and installed for the first time today....... He did a GREAT job! He even incorporated a driveshaft loop with the frame ties. I had him do some other work as well (Dana tubes welded and some repair work on the upper shock mounts). I think the look good as well as a lot stronger then the Mopar performance ones. The car drives so much better now, it's like a different car. If anyone wants QUALITY chassis work done at a reasonable price this is the guy to go too! The guy's name is Dominick at Victory Lane Customs in Stony Creek NY, 518-696-7226...The guy really knows his stuff!

So what do you guys think?
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Hemidoug

pics2

Hemidoug

pics3

Hemidoug

pics4

Hemidoug

resq302

Damn Doug!  That looks excellent.  Looks like he did a bang up job on it.  Did he paint that the color silver of your car too or is that just the natural color of the steel?  All in all, looks fantastic. :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Hemidoug

Thanks! I gave him some paint I had leftover.....I think he did an excellent job! :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Nice work!  E-brake cable looks nicely "dealt with" through the connectors as well :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Back N Black

MoParMetal

is that a Denny's driveshaft? those connectors look very nice. awesome incorporation of the driveshaft loop. very clean job. do you know if he welded that with stick or mig? kinda looks like stick. :scratchchin:
looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

daytonalo

Nice job ! I made and installed the same type ! Ripped them out and installed U.S car tool and they look factory and  will far out strengthen because they weld to the floor and front and back .

Larry

Ghoste

Man those look good Doug!  Yours too Larry.  :2thumbs:

Hemidoug

Quote from: daytonalo on March 23, 2008, 12:25:09 AM
Nice job ! I made and installed the same type ! Ripped them out and installed U.S car tool and they look factory and  will far out strengthen because they weld to the floor and front and back .

Larry

It was to late in the game for me to install the U.S.Car Tool ones,besides I wanted to be able to have them removeable at a later date (being a factory Hemi car). I showed him the Mopar performance ones and he just laughed! Told me to toss them in a scrap bin.The ones he made have a bigger wall thickness and are completely boxed.

firefighter3931

Doug, very nice installation....Fantastic work !  :bow:

I really like how he fabbed in the driveshaft loop  :2thumbs:

Have you driven the car yet ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Hemidoug

Thanks Ron! yes, I did drive it down to the gas station when I got home (put $50 bucks in it :o). It's a different car now. no more squeaks and rattles, car feels solid. I can't wait to see what she does with the Cal Tracs and slicks!. Still is lighting them up at a whim though.... :icon_smile_big:. I should have most of the stuff in next week. I'll mock them up in the garage and T&T at Atco in May. I have to turn to the driveline next.... :coolgleamA:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Hemidoug on March 23, 2008, 09:56:06 AM
Thanks Ron! yes, I did drive it down to the gas station when I got home (put $50 bucks in it :o). It's a different car now. no more squeaks and rattles, car feels solid.

Only 50 bucks huh....what did that buy 1/2 a tank  :lol:

I Knew you would like those frame connectors  ;)

Quote from: Hemidoug on March 23, 2008, 09:56:06 AM

I can't wait to see what she does with the Cal Tracs and slicks!

The Caltracs and slicks will make a huge difference in the hook department. Just a suggestion : use a stiffwall slick or Drag Radial because the car is heavy. You can run these at 18-20 psi and the car will react better on the launch. I'm considering a 30x9 radial slick for mine if i can't get a set of 295/65 MT drag radials. You can run the 30x9's on an 8in wheel also....heck mount them on your Magnums and go racing.  :icon_smile_cool:

The stocker guys with heavy cars run the 30x9's with excellent results.  ;)

Ok, enough of my advice....i'm giving up too much info. :D  That Hemi of yours is gonna  :spank: mine if i keep supplying information.  :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Hemidoug

30 x 9 eh? :scratchchin: The guy (owner) at Cal trac told me to stick with slicks on a 4 spd car....drag radials have too stiff a sidewall and don't recover as well as a slick. He recommended the M/T slicks or the Hoosier Quick Time pros...I was thinking of going with a 28 inch slick as that is the same dia as the tire I have now. I was going to use some 15 x 8 steel rims I have in the shed and screw the slicks to the rim. Should I run tubes or not?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Hemidoug on March 23, 2008, 11:32:55 AM
30 x 9 eh? :scratchchin: The guy (owner) at Cal trac told me to stick with slicks on a 4 spd car....drag radials have too stiff a sidewall and don't recover as well as a slick. He recommended the M/T slicks or the Hoosier Quick Time pros...I was thinking of going with a 28 inch slick as that is the same dia as the tire I have now. I was going to use some 15 x 8 steel rims I have in the shed and screw the slicks to the rim. Should I run tubes or not?

Hmmm...that's an interesting comment from Calvert regarding the stiff sidewall. He would know better tham me on that one....especially since the Clatracs were invented for a 4 speed car originally.  :yesnod:

The quick time pros are a stiff wall dual purpose tire much like the MT et street bias plys.  :scratchchin: Neither will be as stiff as a drag radial or radial slick though....

So he's recommending a semi-stiffwall if i'm reading this right ? The caltracs are adjustable (pre-load) so you can soften the hit with a violent 4 speed launch but the trick is getting it just right so it bites well and doesn't blow the tires off.  :P

Tough choice there buddy....i suppose the 4 speed complicates things a bit. I haven't raced a 4 speed so it's a little out of the realm of my experience.  :-\

I'd put a post up on the race section over at Moparts and see what the stick guys are having success with. Emphasize the heavy car weight and ask for slick suggestions and caltrac settings. You should pick up some good feedback i would think.  :icon_smile_big:

As for tubes ; if you do run them make sure to screw the slicks onto the rim. On a smaller slick it's not really necessary to run tubes, inmo.  :Twocents:

Ron

werner

Quote from: daytonalo on March 23, 2008, 12:25:09 AM

Larry
how do the US tool ones fit ? Do you have stock floor pans or aftermarkit?
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

b5blue

Fantastic fab job and install, love how they "step down" with the contour of the floorboards! 

acelondon

i would trade my girlfriend for my car to look like that :smilielol:

Rat Exterminator

AceLondon, we're gonna need pics of the girlfriend before we can go any further.  Looks awesome Doug, that is beautiful work!

73 charger

Nice job!  I had a tough time putting in my drive shaft safety loop!   
1973 Dodge Charger, "Big Blue", Petty Blue (TB3), 408 Stroker, 460 TQ, RPM Air Gap Dual Plane Intake #7577, Edelbrock 750 cfm Performer Carb #1411, Holley Fuel pump (110 gph), Edelbrock #8877 water pump, MSD #8388 pro-billet RTR distrib, Comp Cam 233I/240E, lobe sep 110 deg, Hayes Heavy-Duty Flexplate, TCI Breakaway Torque Converter-stall 2200-2400, TCI 727-Street Fighter, DTS Stainless Steel balanced drive shaft tube with 7290 u-joint/yoke, DTS 3:54 Dana 60, Trak-Lok posi-unit, MT Drag Radials

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.