News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tuning a 4401 Carter AVS...

Started by StockMan, March 26, 2008, 06:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StockMan

I have a 383 4bbl with the original Carter AVS carb.  I recently added a new carb kit to it.  How can I tell if the carb is setup optimally as far as the air/fuel mixture?  Can I tell by reading the plugs?  I'm not at a point where I can drive the car yet but it does run quite well.

Thanks

resq302

You can hook up a vacuum gauge and adjust the mixture screws till you get the highest vacuum reading.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

StockMan

Thanks.  I'll pick one of those up and give that a try.  I have a bit more duration on my cam so I would expect that the vacuum might be a little lower than stock.  I've been told that I may have over did it with the cam.  I had a new crane 'Fireball' that I purchased years ago but never installed.  The stock cam had a bit of wear so I installed the fireball/lifters.  It runs great.  I was told that it will be pretty flat off the line but will hit at the higher RPMs.  Not really what I wanted but its in now.  This motor is temporary anyway, I will be rebuilding another one to factory 383 4bbl specs.