News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

vanishing point 1997

Started by gordo1968charger, March 30, 2008, 05:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcs69rt

I believe it was Cleavon Little who played the original DJ...he was also Sheriff Bart in Blazing Saddles  :2thumbs: The cars from the remake were on display at the Mopar National in Las Vegas 1997, I have video somewhere of them.  :cheers:
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

Ghoste

Bad B-rad

OK been years last I saw any of them(the original,USA version, the original European version, or the 1997 one) I like them all.

The European version of the original movie has an extra scene, when Kowalski hides out in cave, and a very different ending.
This version of the film clears up some of the "makes no sense" of the USA.

SPOLIER : In European version Kowalski's dead wife appears to him beyond the small crack in the two dozer blades, and he kind of drives right threw the small space to her, and they keep on driving.
It is sort of like the ending of the 1997 version.

b5blue

Ya know as a 16 year old sitting in the theater watching the original and seeing what I knew was a Chevy hit the bulldozer....I'd never guess it would be talked about in 2020. What about Aloha Bobby and Rose, anyone remember that one?

Mike DC

AFAIK there's no wife beyond the bulldozers in any cut of the 1971 movie.  That happened in the remake.  

Some of the video disc copies of the 1971 movie do include a 'European' version with the hitchhiking woman scenes.    

Kern Dog

Yeah, I don't recall anything in the Barry Newman version like that. The hitchhiker was "Death" in the extended Euro version and te ending was exactly the same as the USA version. I like the idea of the vision of the Wife in between the dozer blades though.

Bad B-rad

The dvd copy I have has the director commentary on it, now perhaps my memory is a tad off, but there is a woman waiting beyond the dozer blades for him, same woman in the car with him in the Dream sequence.And if I recall hit is his dead wife/lover/girlfriend.
I will now have to rewatch,lol

The thing about the hitchhiker being his ex dead lover is said on the director commentary, it isn't said in the film. I believe, but I could very well be wrong.

I just remember once I saw the European version the film made a bit more sense.

Bad B-rad

Quote from: b5blue on June 13, 2020, 11:17:04 AM
Ya know as a 16 year old sitting in the theater watching the original and seeing what I knew was a Chevy hit the bulldozer....I'd never guess it would be talked about in 2020. What about Aloha Bobby and Rose, anyone remember that one?

Not only are we talking about it, we are now breaking it down like  Shakespeare, LOL

I recall someone saying the nude biker girl is life, and he turns down her offer of smoking grass,saying I will only stay for a while, while the woman I called his girl, is death and he embraces her fully, even smokes pot with her.

Bossman963

FYI as I owned the Challenger that Charlie had, I also have all the movie sheets, wardrobe casting, etc, also have the tapes/cd that Charlie gave me along with photos if Viggo @ Marina Del Ray old airport track where Viggo learned to drive a 4 speed :2thumbs:
68 Charger 440- under construction
70 Challenger R/T 383 in 2nd version of Vanishing Point. 4 SALE
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS

Bad B-rad

Very cool Bossman963
Maybe we will see another remake, this time Kowalski is a woman, driving a new  Challenger/Demon. :popcrn:

Kern Dog

No...just no.
E N O U G H of the remakes that fuck up a classic. Remakes often screw it up by making the movie too different. The female cast of the remakes of Ghostbusters, Oceans 8 and some other forgettable movie were absolute crap. Make an original movie with women ....don't piggyback off of a movie that featured traditional male actors.

Mike DC

I'm a little surprised that they've never tried to remake 'Smokey & the Bandit' in a big-screen big-budget way. 

I guess it's too hard to imagine somebody else in Burt's place. 

Kern Dog

It seems to me that with GPS and other tracking abilities, cross country car chase movie plots would be hard to believe nowadays. You'd have to make the movie take place years ago to make it plausible.

Bad B-rad

Movies don't have to be plausible.
Look at any of the Fast & Furious movies, those are not very plausible, lol!!!     ;)

(or more my style the jumps on the Duke boys TV show)

But you are right about remakes, even Bill Murray, couldn't save the Ghostbusters one.

Mike DC

A 'Bandit' remake . . . I'm sure they could write a way around the GPS problem.  Although police helicopters would be harder to excuse.  

They might just set the movie in the 1970s again.  Or even in 1990s - that is the new 'retro' decade for young pop culture now (do you feel old yet?).

I get the feeling the original Ghostbusters cast were pressured into endorsing that 2016 remake (and they were paid too, no doubt).  Their supporting comments seemed kinda forced & unnatural.

It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.  Pissing off a major studio can give you problems in that town.  Losing out on future work, contract negotiations, etc.    

Kern Dog

I do wonder how often that the people in the movie industry actually think that decades later, people will scrutinize every single scene of a movie that they did.

Mike DC

QuoteI do wonder how often that the people in the movie industry actually think that decades later, people will scrutinize every single scene of a movie that they did.

Most of the people working on the first 'Star Wars' movie thought it was crap at the time.  Even most of the actors.  They were shocked at how good the final result was and how much impact it had.    

Montclaire

Quote from: Bossman963 on June 15, 2020, 12:03:55 AM
FYI as I owned the Challenger that Charlie had, I also have all the movie sheets, wardrobe casting, etc, also have the tapes/cd that Charlie gave me along with photos if Viggo @ Marina Del Ray old airport track where Viggo learned to drive a 4 speed :2thumbs:

Cd? As in audio soundtrack?

Montclaire

I just learned something new about this film after almost 25 years.  As I mentioned above I was able to work out one track from the film - Fallen Tears by John Doe.  I didn't connect the two at the time, but he's the same John Doe that plays the character Sammy in the film.  

Now, John Doe and Viggo Mortensen are not only in the movie together but also happened to be married to the same woman at different times, Exene Cervenka.  Exene was part of punk band called "X."  Most of their stuff is straight punk rock and I haven't come across anything from the soundtrack yet, but if anyone can figure out who would have been in their orbit at the time I think we'll get some answers.  

Just another day in Hollyweird.

"When we are all criminals, who is free?" - The Voice

moparstuart

Quote from: Montclaire on February 17, 2021, 11:55:11 PM
I just learned something new about this film after almost 25 years.  As I mentioned above I was able to work out one track from the film - Fallen Tears by John Doe.  I didn't connect the two at the time, but he's the same John Doe that plays the character Sammy in the film.  

Now, John Doe and Viggo Mortensen are not only in the movie together but also happened to be married to the same woman at different times, Exene Cervenka.  Exene was part of punk band called "X."  Most of their stuff is straight punk rock and I haven't come across anything from the soundtrack yet, but if anyone can figure out who would have been in their orbit at the time I think we'll get some answers.  

She was not a Looker   ::)
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Kern Dog

Quote from: moparstuart on February 19, 2021, 02:26:15 PM
Quote from: Montclaire on February 17, 2021, 11:55:11 PM

She was not a Looker   ::)

Uhh....

Kern Dog

She may have been something before the war in Vietnam ended.

Kern Dog

Did that picture scare everyone off ???

FastbackJon

While on this topic, I've always wondered where "Riddle Idaho" was in the 1997 movie.

Turns out I just found it....

https://goo.gl/maps/rKwoYkzhiVdSymBP6

IMDB had "Williams, AZ" as one of the filming locations, so I popped onto some maps and looked for railroad tracks going over a straight road near Williams and there it is. Roughly 1587 Airport Road, Williams, AZ looking south.

Compare:

https://youtu.be/jhPWuShxIkQ
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Bronzedodge

Time isn't kind to any of us.  She was cute in '82.
Mopar forever!