News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

update from vega plug installation of 70 charger

Started by petercharger, April 02, 2008, 07:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

Quote from: petercharger on April 08, 2008, 11:53:43 PM
will post pictures once the body shop gets the nose in line with the rest of the body...I notice that on the true daytona's the noses did not line up also..seems like some people are trying to get the car to a condition they never were..I am getting mine done and seems like I don't see others showing what they are doing :popcrn: :popcrn:

Don't take this stuff too personally. It's more a shot at the parts than at you or your shop. There's a lack of quality in a lot of the wingcar parts being offered. Many of the guys repopping these parts could care less how they fit on your car.
Looking forward to seeing your project completed. The headlamps are the next big hurdle.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

petercharger

I know..it's just that if anyone is doing one and not using Ted J parts..they will need work according to all on this web site..anyways will post more pictures as the prep and paint start late next week..
best way to get a hold of me is brushcollege@msn.com...thanks

Howie

Who gives a crap what some are saying about your project. Almost all wing car parts have some flaw about them. You are a lot further than I am and its looking good. Keep the pics coming :popcrn:. I will be glad to get back onto my prioject daytona

BigBlockSam

Quotesee what I mean about the Stinger nose countour not even being on the same Planet   

hey Daytonalo thats not a stinger nose . it's a showcar nose.

Quotealso..seems like some people are trying to get the car to a condition they never were..I am getting mine done and seems like I don't see others showing what they are doing   

dude , sometimes it's better not to rush into it .i'm just trying to build the best car that i can.  do some real reseach and take your time . get some correct measuremnts . the fastest isn't the best. .you want to see what i'm doing. here ya go . my car will be on the road with working headlights with in the next 3 months. done correctly. guys show some pics of your replica's

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

BigBlockSam

i've been building it for 4 yrs. cause i want to get it rite

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

moparstuart

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:    here's my clone    11 year project
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BigBlockSam

hey Peter, from here it looks like your missing a step on the trunk drip rail . a closer pic would help. with out that step , you will have no place to put the trrunk weather strip on. just trying to help you bro . that would be hard to fix after you paint it. Rene

Daytona R/T SE

..seems like some people are trying to get the car to a condition they never were..I am getting mine done and seems like I don't see others showing what they are doing :popcrn: :popcrn:

Some light reading on what I've done to my car so far:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10669.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21596.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29685.msg324490.html#msg324490

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32287.msg353161.html#msg353161

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35435.0.html

I just recently finished up the hood/fender repairs and conversions and I'm currently working on the fully functional vacuum operated headlights.

I'll post some pictures of my headlights as the assemblies come together over the next several weeks....Yes, I said weeks !

BigBlockSam

QuoteSome light reading on what I've done to my car so far:   

dude! your car is amazing  :2thumbs:  you should paint it in clear . so everyone can see that incredible metal work you've done.  :cheers:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: BigBlockSam on April 09, 2008, 08:35:28 PM
QuoteSome light reading on what I've done to my car so far:   

dude! your car is amazing  :2thumbs:  you should paint it in clear . so everyone can see that incredible metal work you've done.  :cheers:

Thanks!  :2thumbs:

moparstuart

1969 Dodge Daytona Clone - $21000 (portland oregon)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-634290904@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-04-07, 8:44PM PDT

Don't have the time to finish this project..got the hardest done, window plug, wing and nose. solid body, no rust or bondo..B5 blue charger that was a 318..can come with 440 6 pack motor for additional 6k. This car will be a show stopper and not interested in trades etc..mopar cuda challenger charger plymouth 440 383 360 340 318 727 

This item has been posted by-owner.
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

guess he has given up on it already  ?        http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/car/634290904.html

BigBlockSam

moparstuart

will post pictures once the body shop gets the nose in line with the rest of the body...I notice that on the true daytona's the noses did not line up also..seems like some people are trying to get the car to a condition they never were..I am getting mine done and seems like I don't see others showing what they are doing :popcrn: :popcrn:
i guess he aint getting it done no more   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

PocketThunder

You guys told him his deck lid was too long and now look what happened! 

And if thats the case, i would sell off the front clip and clone it into a C500... they are much cooler anyways. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on April 10, 2008, 02:43:51 PM
You guys told him his deck lid was too long and now look what happened! 

And if thats the case, i would sell off the front clip and clone it into a C500... they are much cooler anyways. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
we like wings     wings     buffalo wild wings

BigBlockSam

hotrod98

Yep, I thought this guy was going to pull it off. Bitten by poor quality parts, just like the others.
Hate to see him give up.
Maybe he'll have a change of heart and finish it anyway. He's just going to need another 3k worth of parts to do it...and a couple of hundred hours of labor.

Charles Addams

petercharger

was offered 20k at shop while being worked on and so put out the cri :2thumbs:s list to check out the market..just an fyi
best way to get a hold of me is brushcollege@msn.com...thanks

70daytonaclone

Can't wait(but I will) till hotrod98 starts a clone kit parts business! already got the wing braces last year looking forward to many more good things to bolt on my cloneabee some day charger. Best Wishes to All! Stephen

BigBlockSam

Quotetill hotrod98 starts a clone kit parts business

:yesnod: me too

FastbackJon

This must be his other car...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/car/632812094.html

"new interior, 69 440 hp motor, disc brakes, auto console, lots of parts come with car..great driver. should get a paint job and some body work done..no trades please..need money to finish daytona clone..only reason selling. mopar cuda challenger classic 440 383 361 340 318 slant 6 727"

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

nakita7

Quote from: petercharger on April 10, 2008, 04:07:49 PM
was offered 20k at shop while being worked on

Never turn down an offer from a live one....

hotrod98

Quote from: 70daytonaclone on April 10, 2008, 05:18:38 PM
Can't wait(but I will) till hotrod98 starts a clone kit parts business! already got the wing braces last year looking forward to many more good things to bolt on my cloneabee some day charger. Best Wishes to All! Stephen

That's a lot of pressure to put on a guy.  ;D

The decision is how to go about this. There are so many different ideas about how to build the parts, what material to use, how accurate to make them and most importantly keeping the cost of the parts within reason.
I think that the goals should be to keep the cost down, make the parts functional and have them look correct as far as outward appearance. We're talking clones here, and I don't mean exact copies of the real daytona parts. If you want perfect reproduction parts, just call Mike Goyette. He already has that market covered. They're the best.
I've said this over and over. The one missing element in this whole cloning thing is a complete, bolt on, operational nose assembly. This is where most people give up and sell all of their parts.

As of this week, I now work in my own shop full time. If the demand is there, I will pursue building nose assemblies. I will use linear actuators to keep the operation of the headlamps simple and reliable. If you want vacuum, call Mike. I'll provide every single part. Nose, seals, lamps, z-braces, frame braces, latch tray, wiring, headlamp harness, headlamp actuator switch and harness and the valance. The nose and doors will be fiberglass. All other components will be steel. If I can talk a retired sheet metal guy here local into build steel noses then that might be an option. I have withheld talking to him until I felt like the time was right. I want this nose to be available only one way, complete. Remove it from the crate, bolt it on the 70 style front end, plug in the wiring and go driving. Of course you may have to be some body work to make the sides align with the fenders. For some reason, they're all a little different. And, you will have to alter the fenders for the valance to fit. We'll talk about the fender scoops later and Dane's wing is the only way to go in my opinion. I have the wing braces and you don't need fancy wing washers. Just use an 18 ga steel plate.

Will a daytona guy mistake this for the real thing? Not once he opens the hood. Like I said previously, it won't be an exact copy.

Now...what would a reasonable price be for just such an assembly?  :popcrn:

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 14, 2008, 04:43:57 PM
Quote from: 70daytonaclone on April 10, 2008, 05:18:38 PM

That's a lot of pressure to put on a guy.  ;D

The decision is how to go about this. There are so many different ideas about how to build the parts, what material to use, how accurate to make them and most importantly keeping the cost of the parts within reason.
I think that the goals should be to keep the cost down, make the parts functional and have them look correct as far as outward appearance. We're talking clones here, and I don't mean exact copies of the real daytona parts. If you want perfect reproduction parts, just call Mike Goyette. He already has that market covered. They're the best.
I've said this over and over. The one missing element in this whole cloning thing is a complete, bolt on, operational nose assembly. This is where most people give up and sell all of their parts.

As of this week, I now work in my own shop full time. If the demand is there, I will pursue building nose assemblies. I will use linear actuators to keep the operation of the headlamps simple and reliable. If you want vacuum, call Mike. I'll provide every single part. Nose, seals, lamps, z-braces, frame braces, latch tray, wiring, headlamp harness, headlamp actuator switch and harness and the valance. The nose and doors will be fiberglass. All other components will be steel. If I can talk a retired sheet metal guy here local into build steel noses then that might be an option. I have withheld talking to him until I felt like the time was right. I want this nose to be available only one way, complete. Remove it from the crate, bolt it on the 70 style front end, plug in the wiring and go driving. Of course you may have to be some body work to make the sides align with the fenders. For some reason, they're all a little different. And, you will have to alter the fenders for the valance to fit. We'll talk about the fender scoops later and Dane's wing is the only way to go in my opinion. I have the wing braces and you don't need fancy wing washers. Just use an 18 ga steel plate.

Will a daytona guy mistake this for the real thing? Not once he opens the hood. Like I said previously, it won't be an exact copy.

Now...what would a reasonable price be for just such an assembly?  :popcrn:

i would hope 5000.00 for a working fiber glass assmeble , but maybe i'm just pipe dreaming !

hotrod98

That was the price that daytonalo and I talked about last year, but I don't think that it can be done for that. There are a lot of parts and a lot of tedious assembly to make everything work right and reliable. If you sell one bad assembly, then you're pretty much out of business so they have to fit and work right every time. Word travels fast on the net. If you buy all good parts, you're going to have almost that much in parts alone.
Larry (daytonalo) has the experience and the ability to pull this off but I haven't convinced him to do it yet. He has at least two on his resume' already. He uses GTO vacuum pods on his assemblies and has it all figured out. I have a new set of GTO pods and was planning to alter them and experiment a little. Just haven't had the time or the motivation.
Maybe we can experiment on your car Stuart.  :scratchchin:

Charles Addams