News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Roller Rockers

Started by 73ChargerSE, April 17, 2008, 04:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ChargerSE

Just bought some new in the box Mopar Performance big block roller rockers from a guy that's had them for years.  Are the tips supposed to be freely moving and spinning?  I'd imagine so.  Is there any way to loosen them up, because the ones I bought are not rolling by hand.  Hope I didn't waste $100.

Thanks!
Paul

firefighter3931

Paul, the rollers should mve freely. The've probably frozen up from sitting on the shelf for so long. There could be some packing grease that has dried up over time. Spray some wd40 on the axles/wheels and see if that helps.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

73ChargerSE

I've got them soaking in some penetrating oil, and so far there's been nothing.  There was only one that was rolling.  I figure I'll let them sit over night, and if that doesn't work out, am I screwed?

firefighter3931

Don't panic just yet, give the oil a few days to work it's way in there. Some companies will rebuild roller rockers for a nominal fee....so NO you're not screwed.  ;)

Can you post a pic of these rockers when you get a chance ? Any stampings or part numbers on them ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

73ChargerSE

Yeah, here's a couple of the rockers themselves.  Got them from an old sponsored Max-Wedge racer.  Still has the original Max Wedge from his car and the factory K-frame, pretty cool stuff to see. The kicker is he has many many more parts that he's getting rid of. The Mopar Performance box is printed copyright 1988. Part numbers are 4532177 and 4532178.  Stampings on them are the Mopar Performance logo and B 1.5.  I'm assuming these are a 1.5 ratio arm?  How much different from stock is that?  Will it affect my .525 lift cam? A couple of them are now freely spinning, so now I'm not too worried anymore haha.

firefighter3931

Those are nice....very similar to the Crane Gold race rockers which sell for $350. They are unbushed so the application is a flat tappet mechanical or hydraulic cam with up to 400lbs of open spring pressure.  ;)

Nice score..ya did good. The 15 in the pic most likely means 1.5:1 rocker ratio. I looked in my oldest MP catalog and those part numbers were not there....but the rockers are blue and look like yours.  :yesnod:

Ron

73ChargerSE

What is the spring pressure on the new 440source heads? Should I have a problem there?  Sorry, as always lots of questions. I appreciate your help Ron

Paul

firefighter3931

Paul, those rockers will be fine on the Stealth heads.  :2thumbs:

The valvesprings on the Stealths have ~340 lbs open pressure....similar to an Edelbrock RPM valvespring....probably the same (spring) supplier for both heads. 

Ron

73ChargerSE

Ron, thanks for all your help. Finally got them all freed up, but now my thumbs and index fingers hurt  :eek2: When putting these on, which side goes to the exhaust and which goes to the intake valve? A picture would be helpful, and I also need to know how to adjust these, just kind of an initial set up for when I put them on the motor. Can anyone help with that?

Thanks!
Paul