News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TALLADEGA '09 THREAD

Started by pettybird, April 18, 2008, 10:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Sorry to sound like a wise a** but Chris your car was EAST of the Mississippi at one point in time before it left Creative Industries.

hemi68charger

My wife showed me something yesterday..... On one of her HGTV shows on hidden treasures, or something like that, what do I see?????  a panther pink  '70 Charger R/T driving up the driveway..... Well, it's Tim Wellborn's v-code '70 and the hidden treasures house is his !!!!! It was cool seeing it since I visited it back in '05........  But, they didn't go into the "hidden" treasures of his garage....   :icon_smile_big:

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopurr

Actually I believe that the Charger is Pam's car and so is part of the Wellborn Collection

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopurr on August 15, 2008, 11:14:25 PM
Actually I believe that the Charger is Pam's car and so is part of the Wellborn Collection

Ahhh, yeap....... you are right.. He did mention that when we were at the Sonic later that night.......
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

johntpr

moparstuart

From what I can tell the big race is october 1st
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

jonw29

I am ssssssssooooooo ready to go.I did not get there last year in time for the wife and I to get the tour of the Wellborn's home.The outside and the garages were outstanding.Whoever coined the pharse that "MONEY DOESN'T BUY HAPPINESS"was not standing in line at the soup kitchen.The Wellborn's are very nice people and you colud not tell of their wealth by the way that they carry themselves.Let's go

pettybird

fix that car!  we need all the Fords we can muster!

Aero426

Big Bird

hey John, will you have your Yellow Daytona back in time for Talladega ?    Ron
BIG - BIRD :)

hemigeno

Looks like the race will be on November 1st...

QuoteAug 19, 3:21 PM (ET)

By MIKE HARRIS
Ladies and gentlemen, rearrange your calendars!

Three NASCAR tracks will swap dates on the 2009 Sprint Cup schedule released Tuesday.

Atlanta Motor Speedway will move its fall race from October to Labor Day weekend, with Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif., giving up that date to move into the Chase for the championship and Talladega Superspeedway moving its second race nearer the end of the season.

Atlanta will run a Cup race at night for the first time on Sept. 6. The second race at Auto Club Speedway will be run Oct. 11, in Talladega's former slot, while the Alabama track will hold its second race of the season Nov. 1, on the date formerly held by Atlanta. All three tracks also have Cup races in the first half of the schedule.

There also will be an additional off-week for the Cup teams before the Labor Day weekend event, giving them a break before a 12-week stretch that will end the season. The 2008 schedule ends with 16 consecutive weeks of racing.

Otherwise, the 36-race Cup schedule for next year will remain the same as this season.

"The 2009 schedule reflects realigned dates that are good opportunities for everyone involved in our sport - fans, sponsors, tracks and teams," NASCAR president Mike Helton said.

He said requests from Auto Club Speedway and Atlanta initiated the changes in the Cup schedule.

Auto Club Speedway - formerly California Speedway - officials have been talking to NASCAR for several years about getting away from a date that doesn't draw well in Southern California, where there a multitude of things to do on a holiday weekend, and is typically very hot. Last September, the Sunday night race began in temperatures approaching 106 degrees.

"The 2009 schedule is a victory for race fans," said Gillian Zucker, president of Auto Club Speedway. "From a weather standpoint, I can hardly think of a better time to visit California than early October. ... (and) we look forward to being part of the championship puzzle."

For Atlanta, the switch offers the chance to move to the traditional end-of-summer date and run under the lights.

"We've been desiring a night race in Atlanta for a number of years. We've had a number of conversations and I'm sure Mike Helton can tell you about that," said Ed Clark, president of the Atlanta track. "We're bringing Labor Day racing back to the Southeast and doing it with a nighttime event. ... It's a win-win-win situation for everybody."

Before the track in California got the Labor Day date in 2004, Darlington Raceway held the Southern 500 each year on the holiday weekend. The South Carolina track now has one Cup date in May.

Rick Humphrey, president of Talladega, said the attraction for him was moving from the fourth to seventh race in the 10-race Chase.

"We've been a big part of the championship battle and we believe that moving even deeper into the Chase makes Talladega even more significant to the championship," Humphrey said. "Also, by moving to the end of October, coupled with Atlanta's new date, that separates our two events, which is very beneficial for both parties."

The Atlanta and Talladega tracks are only about 100 miles apart.

Schedules for the Nationwide Series and the truck series, which is still awaiting a new series sponsors to replace Craftsman, were also released Tuesday.

A new event at Iowa Speedway on Aug. 1 will replace Mexico City on the 35-race Nationwide schedule, while the Atlanta event will switch from March to September, moving the race in Montreal to Aug. 30.

The Nationwide race is a coup for the 2-year-old Iowa track.

Former NASCAR star Rusty Wallace, the designer and co-owner of the track, said he believes the new race could draw as many as 70,000 fans. The problem is, the track has only 25,000 permanent seats and it's biggest crowd to date was the nearly 40,000 it drew for the IndyCar Series race in June.

"Seating is a real hot topic right now," Wallace said. "We're going to have to add seats."

In trucks, the 25-race 2009 schedule will replace the late-season event at Atlanta with a night race at Chicagoland Speedway on Aug. 28, giving the series another major market.

---=

Associated Press Writer Juanita Cousins in Atlanta and AP Sports Writer Luke Meredith contributed to this report

jonw29

fix that car!  we need all the Fords we can muster!                           I'm trying,I'm trying

pettybird

excellent!

nov.1...  damn should I mount snow tires on the stupid car?

last time it saw snow going to a meet was Daytona '78!

PocketThunder

Quote from: pettybird on August 19, 2008, 11:10:48 PM
excellent!

No problem for me, my car lived its whole life in the snow, and it has the rust to prove it!  :icon_smile_big: 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 20, 2008, 08:23:04 AM
Quote from: pettybird on August 19, 2008, 11:10:48 PM
excellent!

No problem for me, my car lived its whole life in the snow, and it has the rust to prove it!  :icon_smile_big: 
mine had the rust it's all gone now , hopefully never to return

jonw29

MOPARSTUART.I have been there.VERY PAINFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moparstuart

Quote from: jonw29 on August 20, 2008, 09:26:15 AM
MOPARSTUART.I have been there.VERY PAINFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

JR

Hey are normal 2nd gens allowed? I live in Alex City maybe 45 min away from Talledaga. I cant wait...
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Aero426

Quote from: JR on August 20, 2008, 10:18:05 PM
Hey are normal 2nd gens allowed? I live in Alex City maybe 45 min away from Talledaga. I cant wait...

You are in luck.  Alex City is where the host hotel is and the show on Friday.

pettybird

Quote from: DougSchellinger on August 20, 2008, 11:46:40 PM
Quote from: JR on August 20, 2008, 10:18:05 PM

You are in luck.  Alex City is where the host hotel is and the show on Friday.

Is that the same town as last time, or the time before? 

69_500

Good thing for me that the date did move from the first week in october to November though. Considering my kids b-day is October 2nd, and the anniversary is October 5th, and neice's b-day is October 6th, kind of puts some kinks in the family time with leaving for that week. But if its going to be November 1st, ALL IS WELL in the Liebrandt household.  :2thumbs: Putting in my vacation time for that week today at work.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on August 22, 2008, 07:41:13 AM
Good thing for me that the date did move from the first week in october to November though. Considering my kids b-day is October 2nd, and the anniversary is October 5th, and neice's b-day is October 6th, kind of puts some kinks in the family time with leaving for that week. But if its going to be November 1st, ALL IS WELL in the Liebrandt household.  :2thumbs: Putting in my vacation time for that week today at work.
My boss can be a real a-hole hope he lets me off   :smilielol:

Aero426

There was a general announcement at the St Louis meet that the Talladega event will indeed happen the weekend of November 1st 2009.   No hotel info yet, but it will be coming shortly.   

hemi68charger

Quote from: DougSchellinger on September 23, 2008, 10:53:08 AM
There was a general announcement at the St Louis meet that the Talladega event will indeed happen the weekend of November 1st 2009.   No hotel info yet, but it will be coming shortly.   

:whistling:         :scope:          :notworthy:
Troy

Aero426

I am sure the Jameson Inn will be one of them.    Tim says there is another one that's just opened up in Alex City.   He's going to set the blocks of rooms up.