News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash & Classic Auto Air A/C-Heater Box Install in Project '69!!

Started by bill440rt, April 22, 2008, 09:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

Hey Bill,
I know this is a really old thread, but I'm debating throwing A/C in '68 (non-factory A/C car).

did this kit replace the heater box completely?

Jeff

bill440rt

Hey Jeff,
Yes, CAA supplies a new heater/AC box in their kit for non-A/C cars. It replaces the standard OE heater box. You can see it in the 2nd pic in the first post.
So far I've been very pleased with the kit, someday I may also install one in my '68 (non-A/C as well). A/C blows nice & cold.

The only issue I had was with an electric servo that switches from defrost to dash to floor mode. Two of them went bad internally. CAA did replace them both for free, and the second time around the system was well out of warranty. So, that says something for CAA. Since I installed my kit several years ago they did redesign their box, which is now totally electric so perhaps it's been improved.
Hope that helps!  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MxRacer855

Quote from: bill440rt on February 22, 2015, 04:04:49 PM
Hey Jeff,
Yes, CAA supplies a new heater/AC box in their kit for non-A/C cars. It replaces the standard OE heater box. You can see it in the 2nd pic in the first post.
So far I've been very pleased with the kit, someday I may also install one in my '68 (non-A/C as well). A/C blows nice & cold.

The only issue I had was with an electric servo that switches from defrost to dash to floor mode. Two of them went bad internally. CAA did replace them both for free, and the second time around the system was well out of warranty. So, that says something for CAA. Since I installed my kit several years ago they did redesign their box, which is now totally electric so perhaps it's been improved.
Hope that helps!  :cheers:

Thanks Bill!   :cheers:

That most definitely does help! I really want to pull the trigger and go through with it. After reading your thread, I think I am going to do it.
I know there's going to be those hot summer days where I'm going to hear the girl just absolutely complaining about the heat making her hair frizzy... :RantExplode:  :lol:

Yours looks great! I know I saw a guy somewhere fabricate that kit into an OEM heater box for some reason (maybe to keep the stock look???). That's really why I'm very curious about it.

My car is coming back from the body shop next week (taking forever and a day!) and I'm really going to have all of this decided by then. I've been restoring everything for the last 7 months it's been gone so that when I do get it back, I can just start bolting things in.
I really don't want to restore my OEM heater box if I don't have to. So that's a lot of the motive behind my question. Not that I'm going to sell it or anything until my build is done, but I DON'T need anything from it, Bill? Classic Air's kit replaces everything?

Again, thanks for everything!  :cheers:
Jeff

bill440rt

CAA's box gets installed in place of the original one. You'll need to drill two holes in the firewall for the A/C lines, CAA supplies a template for that.
They also supply a switch that you'll need to install on the factory heat slider controls.
Basically, the kit should include everything you need to install A/C except the refrigerant. Take a look at their kits and what is included.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MxRacer855

MxRacer855

Thanks Bill!  :cheers:

I couldn't appreciate it more!

Definitely a route I'm going to go.  :2thumbs:

Jeff

bill440rt

Quote from: MxRacer855 on February 23, 2015, 08:58:22 PM
Thanks Bill!  :cheers:

I couldn't appreciate it more!

Definitely a route I'm going to go.  :2thumbs:

Jeff

Good luck!
  :2thumbs:   :cheers:

oldcarnut

I have my dash out and redone and at a stage I need to reinstall it to proceed with other installs.  I have plans to be installing the CAA kit but trying to decide if the dash in or out makes a whole lot of difference.  No doubt its easier out but if I buy the kit now, it may be a year before I even crank it up to use.  How difference with the dash out already do you think it made?

bill440rt

Quote from: oldcarnut on May 21, 2015, 08:45:59 PM
I have my dash out and redone and at a stage I need to reinstall it to proceed with other installs.  I have plans to be installing the CAA kit but trying to decide if the dash in or out makes a whole lot of difference.  No doubt its easier out but if I buy the kit now, it may be a year before I even crank it up to use.  How difference with the dash out already do you think it made?

With the dash out it was pretty easy. I'd assume your windshield is out also? Windshield has to come out before the dash.
It can be done with the dash in place, but yeah it's much easier with it out. Everything was very accessible that way.

twenty mike mike

Bill,

Did you cut a relief hole in the firewall insulation for the box, or just mount the box against the insulation backing? I can't tell from your picture.

Thanks.

bill440rt

Pretty sure the insulation was in place prior to installing the box. If the box was installed first, it would be tough to install the insulation.
I know there are some pre-punched holes in the insulation for the heater hose bungs to pass through, IIRC I had to cut some additional ones for the A/C lines.
There shouldn't be any interference installing the box due to the insulation.

twenty mike mike

Thanks, Bill. I had just cut out the pre-punched areas and the extra holes, but I didn't want to install the nice new insulation just to find out I had to take it back out again.

Audiguy

Great thread guys. Just made up my mind about CAA verus Vintage Air. My 69 is a factory air car with a bad compressor, ( it knocks when running) and a tired condenser. Plus I look forward to even more weight reduction on the front end. Again, thanks for the good information.

Dave

ChargerRT69

Glad to see some tip and tricks being listed as I complete my assemble. Thought I would give an update on my install. I bought this a couple years back and ran into "Life", but started back into finishing my 69 R/T off so I can get it drivable.

b5blue

"So far" I have no issue installing with dash fully in place. (But my interior is stripped bare.)