News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70's Era 'Bird Resto...... (!!FINISHED!!)

Started by CornDogsCharger, April 23, 2008, 09:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CornDogsCharger

I know some of you will hate this... some will love it... but before I get bashed, it isn't my car.  I'm just doing the work.  I'm sure some of you have seen that this red/white/blue 'bird was recently bought by my boss and plans to bring the car back to factory stock.  I had the chance to inspect and photograph the car Tues evening.  This car is very solid for the most part.  The paint job shows signs of wear, but is actually very nice for a 32+ year old job.  The car does have a few minor rust issues  The car will get a new trunk floor, gas tank braces, and a tail light panel, trunk gutters... all from AMD.  During transport, the car was dented on the roof and tore the vinyl top (front edge, pass. side).  This will not be a major repair.  The parts will be here early May and soonafter, I will dismantle the whole car and mount it to a rotisorie.  During inspection, I noticed that the car was actually painted yellow at one time.... Originally Vit C Orange, then painted yellow early on, then RWB in early to mid 70's.  Anyways, once the restoration starts, I will post all photos and updates to this topic.  Until then, tell me what you think.  Remember, not my car... be nice.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Old Moparz

I can't say I'd blame him for wanting to repaint it, it's not something I'm crazy about. I wouldn't mind owning it though, a wing car in any color is cool.   :2thumbs:

I'll look forward to seeing the resto pix. :cheers:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

pettybird

MoParMetal

talk him into giving me those valve covers.  :icon_smile_big:

this bird makes me think that if Speed Racer had a wing car, it would look like this.
of course it would have a LOT of cool gizmos and what not.
looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

bzabodyn

My father and I came about  [  ]  this close to buying this car, but the price we decided on was about $10k shy of what it went for (we were also going to go the same route of restoring to factory specs)...

Good luck and keep us updated...

BZ
1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

Aero426

It doesn't look bad enough to tear into.   It has a lot of personality the way it is.   I understand why a new owner might not be crazy about the paint and would want to bring it back to stock.  At the same time, it pretty much erases much of the story behind the car - at least the part of the time capsule you can actually touch.   It will be "just another Superbird" among the masses when it is restored.    But it's not my place to tell the guy how to spend his money either. 

A383Wing

I agree with Doug......

Bryan  (my vote is leave it the way it is...my  :Twocents: )

moparstuart

Why pay all that money and then restore it too !   He could have bought a restored one or nice original one for a little more .  He will be way deeper in this car restoring it then to have just bought one in this market  ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

PocketThunder

I'd be nice to fix the rust though.  You can take it back to Red White and Blue also.  :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

QuoteIt doesn't look bad enough to tear into 

:yesnod: i has to agree with Doug. this is a very cool car the way it is . the way bird prices have come down , you can get a stock bird for about $95000 . not worth tearing this one up. it's got a lot of history.  :Twocents: Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

billssuperbird

Blown70

To me that car is a time capsule that should be what it is NOW, as it was back in the day.

That being said I DONT OWN it, truely up to the owner.......

Tom

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

62 Max

I'd probably paint the wing and nose and quit there.

CornDogsCharger

Wow, Thanks for all of the comments.  Honestly, I agree with Doug and a few others too.  I really enjoy seeing the unique cars more-so than factory originals.  I guess it's mostly because of the fact that you never see them in this form.  As for all of the vintage bolt on goodies... I already have dibs on them.  HA!  The tail panel is starting to rust around the edges and at the top where the trunk gutters join in.  If I replace the piece before the car is stripped, I will save it as a "momento" of how it once was. 

I know the car looks great in the photos, but in person it is a different story.  The car is about a 15 footer.  The old paint is cracking, chipped, and "crow's footing".  If you study it close up, you see bondo-rings in various spots.  The white pin stripe is not painted and is actually vinyl.  Regardless, the car will need a full paintjob to look nice upclose again.  It's cool for what it is, but it still needs work.  Thanks again for the posts.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

DodgeChargerNeeded

Restore it and it looks like every other Superbird out there. Which isn't a bad thing but with that paint job it has cool history and character. I would leave it for sure.
Jeff

69charger2002

Quote from: BigBlockSam on April 24, 2008, 09:17:36 AM
QuoteIt doesn't look bad enough to tear into 

:yesnod: i has to agree with Doug. this is a very cool car the way it is . the way bird prices have come down , you can get a stock bird for about $95000 . not worth tearing this one up. it's got a lot of history.  :Twocents: Rene

you may can get a stock 440 auto on column bird for $95k maybe, but this is a 6 pack 4 speed car. i think with what the guy paid plus $20-30k to restore.. he will still be coming out pretty good.. i'm not a huge fan of nostalgia, especially 70's paint jobs. they are cool, don't get me wrong, but if I OWNED one, it would not stay that way. so i can't blame the new owner

trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

SFRT

shame. id restore the funky paint job, since it really has FLAIR. a stock resto it will just be another boring 'I dont dare touch it' car.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

UFO

Fix the body issue's and put a 70's style paint job on.No longer just another restored bird.

65post

f you are going to restore it put it back like it is now.I love old wing cars with personality.Believe me it will not take away from its value.There are enough wingers out there now that have lost their history.This one below is just one of many.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

learical1

Quote from: 65post on April 26, 2008, 08:50:45 AM
f you are going to restore it put it back like it is now.I love old wing cars with personality.Believe me it will not take away from its value.There are enough wingers out there now that have lost their history.This one below is just one of many.

Yes, the former Jim Radke Daytona.  Beautiful car, drove nice too!
Bruce

nakita7

You couldn't restore that car fast enough, in my opinion... :Twocents:

pettyfan43

Quote from: 65post on April 26, 2008, 08:50:45 AM

First time I ever saw a Daytona, it was THIS CAR in HoT Rod Magazine!!!!  Mind if I save the pic for Model reference??!!?!!?

dkn1997

looks like some dude painted a car 30 years ago.  I can't believe that a real 6pak 4spd wing car does not have enough "personality" unless it has some multicolor paintjob.
RECHRGED