News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

daytona

Started by daytonalo, October 13, 2005, 09:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

Quote from: hotrod98 on October 28, 2005, 08:28:13 AM
Overall bashing of a vendor is not cool though in any case.

:iagree:

Words to live by that have apparently been ignored by some...

:rotz:

chargervert

Hey Hot Rod 98,I asked Dave a year ago,in a P.M.what Ted did to me,and not to push Teds bad service,on other guys who want to build wingcars!He wouldn,t let up, so I told the people on Moparts what he did to me!It shouldn't take five years to get the parts that he promised in 6 to 8 weeks,I shouldn't have had to call him collect,weekly for almost five years!He shouldn't have offered the nosecone I waited almost five years to someone else while I was trying to give him the sale of a second nosecone!I shouldn't have had to pay almost $300.00 for two wooden shipping crates,only to have my parts finally show up after years of waiting,in old cardboard water heater boxes!The prices of his parts doubled while I waited to get them!Ted supposedly came up to Carlsile to" make things right with me",and I told him just refund me the money for the crates,and I would let the other things go,and let this issue die!He offered to buy me a hamburger to forget the whole thing!I told him I wanted the money for the crates,he said,he would have to pro rate it because he charges $95.00 per hour to chuck the parts in an old water heater box,and he figures he spent about four hours doing that!He said he would get back to me before the end of the weekend,but he didn't ever get back to me!I did see him one more time that weekend,he was picking two large cardboard boxes out of the trash,and he had the nerve to drag them right by me!!!! I figure those are the next poor SOB's $300.00 shipping crates! I beleve thats reason enough to warn other people about this vendor! After realizing that I was dealing with an IDOIT,I had decided to cut my losses,and let the issue die! Then Dave starts dredging it back up again on this forum!Mike is my friend,and he dosent need me,or anyone else to promote his parts,his incredible workmanship speaks for itself! Mike was on Teds waiting list for years too,and after not seeing a single part from Texas,he decided to make his own parts from steel,that would fit and function as original! You people should be glad that someone had the skill and talent to make these parts available to everyone!If Dave says my alligations are unfounded,and that I am a liar,than why would Ted try to "make things right with me"So I say to you Dave if you really want to let this issue die,then do so!stop taking cheap shots at Dayclona,Tell your friend to provide better service to his customers,get people their parts in a reasonable amount of time,don't raise the prices on people,while they wait years for you to make their parts,and don't charge people for wooden shipping crates,then send their fragile(thats the way you spell fragile Ted,not FRAGLE)in old boxes you picked from the trash!and finally tell him not to offer the parts that people have waited nearly five years for,to other people!With that said,I will let the issue die,unless Dave dredges it back up again! Its your call Dave!

hotrod98

chargervert,
I sent you a p.m.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

69_500

I have a question that partains to this issue sort of but was waiting to ask it. Has anyone seen the steel nose cones the guy in Georgia is making? How are they?

hotrod98

If you're referring to Jack McGaughey, I asked him about the steel noses earlier this year. He said that at this point he is only repairing original noses. The nose on his website is one that he is repairing. He said that he may build some at a later date for the birds, but he didn't have an original daytona nose to build the buck from to build the daytona noses. He hadn't really set the price, but talked like they would run 7k or more.
Gene Gregory (the shaker hood guy) came by my shop yesterday and we talked about him building more steel noses. He said that he may start again and that they would run 10k. He also said that he has the steel trunk caps and would build a 500/daytona deck lid that would pass for an original for $1000, completed. Many years ago, he built 50 of each style noses. He said that you couldn't tell them from the original noses, except his were a little nicer looking. He said that a lot of the steel noses on the original cars are not the original noses. They were prone to rusting badly from the inside out. I'm sure that a lot of the owners either don't realize that they've been replaced or don't really advertise that they're not original. Either way, all of his noses were sold, so they're out there somewhere.
He also told me that the wing braces for the superbird wing were different than the daytona wing braces. I thought that they were the same. Anyone know the difference?

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Charles Addams

Old Moparz

Quote from: hotrod98 on October 30, 2005, 12:42:48 PM

He also told me that the wing braces for the superbird wing were different than the daytona wing braces. I thought that they were the same. Anyone know the difference?

Larry,

When I get home later I can post some photos of my friend's Superbird braces. I took pics of them, & the inside of the quarters over the summer, to show some damage I did during a guide rail strength test on I-84.   ::)   I don't know how different they might be, but if you can compare photos it may help. I can tell you that the tops of the quarters on my '68 Charger & my '70 Road Runner are different, & at different angles. Maybe that changes the height of the braces? The RR is more horizontal than the slope of the Charger.

Bob
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

69_500

Dads69, you bought the back half of a 69 Charger 500? And 3 deck lids? Do you happen to know the VIN of the Charger 500 you purchased the back half of? It should have the vin in the trunk seal under the rubber.

BigBlockSam

the bottom mounting plates are differant and the wing washers are differant but i think the actual brace itself are the same. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69_500 on November 11, 2005, 09:34:18 AM
Dads69, you bought the back half of a 69 Charger 500? And 3 deck lids? Do you happen to know the VIN of the Charger 500 you purchased the back half of? It should have the vin in the trunk seal under the rubber.

i thought that stamping was cut out when they grafted in the window plug?   I didnt see that number on my car.  maybe i need to look a little harder ???
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

472 R/T SE

I thought the bottom of the plug comes in right at where the stampings were supposed to be.

hemigeno

Quote from: BigBlockSam
the bottom mounting plates are differant and the wing washers are differant but i think the actual brace itself are the same. Rene

The reference material I have gives two separate part numbers for each brace - a forward and a rear brace.   That same reference material states that the forward brace is the same as a Superbird, but the rear is different.   That would jive with what OldMoparz said earlier, that the Superbird quarters are more horizontal, whereas the Daytona/Charger's quarters are more sloped to the rear.   The Superbird's wing is also mounted farther forward on the quarter than the Daytona's, which allows the brace to be raked back but not protrude past the end of the car at the top.   One of the two pieces comprising each brace is supposedly the same on 'Birds and Daytonas, the other is specific to the model.

Here are the part numbers I have:

3412784-5   Wing brace, forward (same as Superbird)
3412790-1   Wing brace, rear

Incidentally, those part numbers have been NS-1 at the dealers since about a week after the cars were shipped out from Creative Industries.    :rotz:

Gene

hemigeno

Quote from: AllBlueRT on November 11, 2005, 11:31:55 AM
I thought the bottom of the plug comes in right at where the stampings were supposed to be.

I've got exactly 11" between the window plug and the beginning of the partial VIN sequence on the trunk lip on my car.

Did they skootch that stamping down a little on the XX cars, anticipating the window plug? 

:shruggy: :scope:

69_500

Mine is the same as Geno's. 11" from the plug to the partial vin. However mine is very had to read from the underneath side. Would be easiest seen without the trunk seal on top of it. Then again mine is a a little over half way through the run of 500's, and it is XX everywhere. Buildsheet, fender tag, and VIN.

hotrod98

Thanks for the info re the braces. It makes sense that they would be different. I built two sets of the daytona braces for myself and may see if I can just alter one of the sets to use on my wife's superbird clone later. Don't see where they would have to be identical to original since nothing else will be the same either.

Charles Addams

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69_500 on November 11, 2005, 01:16:55 PM
Mine is the same as Geno's. 11" from the plug to the partial vin. However mine is very had to read from the underneath side. Would be easiest seen without the trunk seal on top of it. Then again mine is a a little over half way through the run of 500's, and it is XX everywhere. Buildsheet, fender tag, and VIN.

11" from where?  the bottom of the window channel? or where the plug meets the deck lid channel?  if its the deck lid channel then i'm thinking 11" from there will get you right to the tail light panel....? 

Guess my mystery will be solved when i get home i two hours.....
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemigeno

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 11, 2005, 04:07:09 PM

11" from where?   the bottom of the window channel? or where the plug meets the deck lid channel?   if its the deck lid channel then i'm thinking 11" from there will get you right to the tail light panel....?  

I measured from where the plug bends down to meet the deck lid channel.  More or less the beginning of the outer decklid opening.  It would be a little smaller dimension if I measured from the inside of the opening.  Since my trunk weatherstripping is loose, I just moved it out of the way and laid the tape measure right on top of the lip, and ran it up until it made contact with the window plug.

That trunk opening is small, but it isn't that small.  There are still a couple of inches from the end of the VIN sequence to where the lip really starts to bend around and meet the tail light panel, so it is somewhat close - but there is space.  You'll see what I mean when you take a look at your car, PT.

69_500

Its only about 16 inches total opening. So yeah its more or less pretty close to the tail panel.

Old Moparz

I found the photos of the braces in my friend's bird, & they're different from what I remembered. They look a bit crude or home made. I couldn't say whether this is what they are supposed to be or not, but will ask my friend later when I talk to him. The car is a real Superbird he's had since the late 70's, but changed hands a few times before he got it.

Sorry, but these are the only two I took.

Driver's Side Superbird Brace:

Passenger's Side Superbird Brace:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

hotrod98

They definitely look home made. Wonder what happened to the original braces for that car? All of the braces that I've seen on real birds look almost just like the daytona braces.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

that looks like some modern engineering  ???
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

69_500

Those braces don't look right to me either.

dayclona

Quote from: Old Moparz on November 13, 2005, 11:07:50 AM
I found the photos of the braces in my friend's bird, & they're different from what I remembered. They look a bit crude or home made. I couldn't say whether this is what they are supposed to be or not, but will ask my friend later when I talk to him. The car is a real Superbird he's had since the late 70's, but changed hands a few times before he got it.

Sorry, but these are the only two I took.

Driver's Side Superbird Brace:

Passenger's Side Superbird Brace:

wingcars6970

Those braces look like they were home engineered.Dont look factory to me at all. Also they didnt get painted body color they will be black.It does appear to be a real superbird.I see the pass side scissors jack hold down bolt showing
1969 Daytona 440 Presently owned
1970 Coronet 500 383 Presently owned
1970 Superbird 440 U 166242
1970 Superbird 440 U 174597
1970 Superbird 440-6 V 179697
1970 Coronet RT 440 U 224126
1968 Road Runner 426 J 134509
1970 Daytona Replica 318 G 178701

daytonalo

Need wing washers and bracing for clone . who is making these parts , I refuse to pay mikes prices .