News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

daytona

Started by daytonalo, October 13, 2005, 09:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

i made my wing washers out of 060 steel. i don't think you should use fiberglass ones with a solid aluminum wing. janek has the best price for trunk bracing, just make sure there made of metal. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Old Moparz

Quote from: wingcars6970 on November 23, 2005, 12:27:05 AM

Those braces look like they were home engineered.Dont look factory to me at all. Also they didnt get painted body color they will be black.It does appear to be a real superbird.I see the pass side scissors jack hold down bolt showing

Dave,

Yes, it's a real Bird & Craig has had it since the late 70's. It has a different 440 in it, a '72 HP block if I recall that was swapped before he bought it. As far as I know, the 4 speed & the Dana are original, as well as most of everything else that's unique to the Bird. It's been kept up on & actually going to be repainted soon if it hasn't been yet. I'm also trying to get some wheel & tire info for Craig so he can make up his mind what wheels to put on it. He likes the slots, but the offset is wrong & the tires rub if the air shocks aren't raised. (They're going to be swapped too.)

Here's a pic from about a year & a half ago:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

chargervert

Daytonalo,or is it Daytonalow priced parts! You get what you pay for! Mike made his wing washers from the originals that came with my original wing.As far as I know,Mike is the only person making as original wing washers with the correct impressions on them,and some of those other guys braces will dent the top of your rear quarters,leaving an ugly outward dent in the top of your freshly painted rear quarter panels! Mike has had to correct other guys braces after the damage was done to there freshly painted and striped cars!Do what you want,but don't say I didn't tell you so!

BigBlockSam

ok chargervert  you seem to suck up to dayclona, all the time. there's been alot of clones before dayclona .show us some of your creations. I've yet to see one of your creations. a wing washer is a big washer. it's real easy to make , it just won't look exactly like the original. who the the fuck cares it's a clone.
i don't think  a dayclona wing washer can handle the weight of a solid aluminum wing, and yea they cost a fucking lot. Peace Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

thallium

Quote from: chargervert on November 23, 2005, 09:08:21 PM
\As far as I know,Mike is the only person making as original wing washers with the correct impressions on them,and some of those other guys braces will dent the top of your rear quarters,leaving an ugly outward dent in the top of your freshly painted rear quarter panels!

I would have to disagree on this.  I made my own washers out of wood and the aluminum wing sits on there perfectly. No dents.  You have to remember you are not dealing with a japanese paper thin fender. I'm sitting on mine and it holds the weight without any problems and no braces in the trunk yet(have not had the time to install them).  These fenders will take more abuse than you think they can take.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 24, 2005, 01:03:21 AM
ok chargervert   you seem to suck up to dayclona, all the time. there's been alot of clones before dayclona .show us some of your creations. I've yet to see one of your creations. a wing washer is a big washer. it's real easy to make , it just won't look exactly like the original. who the the fuck cares it's a clone.
i don't think   a dayclona wing washer can handle the weight of a solid aluminum wing, and yea they cost a fucking lot. Peace Rene

:iagree:

BigBlockSam

hey thallium
your car must be made of harder metal then mine. i just put the wing on the back with no bolts just to see how it looked. and the top of the quarter metal was flexing. i know Dane agrees with you but i just don't see it.
hey hows it going with the fenders and nose mounting. any pics.
  have a good thanksgiving . Rene

chargervert

Well Rene,Its like this,Mike is my friend,and has been for twenty years!If that bothers you oh well! My Charger convertible was featured in Mopar Action Febuary 2003,if you want to see my workman ship!It was also in the Chrysler invitational building at the all Chrysler Nationals,AkA the 'T' building in 2004!Once again I'm trying to tell someone that Mike had to fix someone elses braces because they did damage to a freshly painted car,and I get more shit from you! I try to tell people whats happening,and warn them of the problems that some people are having with there clones!I am building two clones,and I dont know about the rest of you guys out there,but I don't want people to say lok at that one its just a clone,I want mine to look like the real deal!

BigBlockSam

Quote  I get more shit from you!

yea you will get more shit from me. i don't know if you are or not. but by the way you write   you come off like an obnoxious , know it all. on another post you ended it with " your not telling me anything"   I've met alot of those guys at mopar events.

Mike from dayclona has been cool with me. i bought some parking lights from him. good price and good shipping time. i got no beef with him. you just put down any clone thats not his and thats not cool.

i don't want a beef with you either. there's alot of people here that i respect there knowledge . they've earned that.

your cars sound like nice cars, lets see some pictures there Mr. know it all,   Peace Rene

Daytona Guy

If you use wing bracing the marital that the wing washers are made of I believe is irrelevant, because all of the weight is transferred to the wing brace and then to the trunk. Wing washers sure up the metal around the out side under the bottom of the wing. (Can you say snuggle) . The wing washers were designed first to be adequate by them selves. (dealer installed wings only came with wing washers and no braces) The bracing was added later after testing at high speeds found further reinforcement was needed. (wing bracing).

Old Moparz

Let's try to stay civil on the forum so a post with good info doesn't go bad & get locked. Not to take someone's side or drive a wedge in between anyone, but I did see Chargervert's car at Carlisle a few years ago. I think it was the first time it was there, & I took tons of pictures of it. It's a very nice car, & the work on it was good. I also got to speak to him about it & thought he was a decent guy who wasn't stuck up over the car too.

There are a lot of people I haven't met, but most so far are good people. It would be great to meet more & not worry about who's saying what about others & their cars. Personally, I won't lose sleep over who hates who, but it would be good to have the threads stay open so everyone can read & share things.

Just my 2 cents, Bob
               Bob                

chargervert

Thanks Bob,for the kind words, If some of these guys knew the time it takes Mike to make these parts,they might understand,why they are priced that way! They think that he should work for hours and hours for free! Maybe its just me,but if you are going to build a clone,it shouldn't be obvious that the car is a clone. Mike,as well as Jack Mcgaughy,are the only people who actually made there parts,and checked them for fit,and function. I know Erik Nelson is currently assembling his nosecone,and if his parts have any problems he will know about them when he is finished and the cone is on the car.(Mike already helped Erik with his headlight pivots) The guys who are making the quality parts for these cars,have a lot of time and money invested in the fabrication of those pieces! They don't sell Daytona parts at Wal Mart!!!!! I'm not looking to beef with other Mopar inthuiests,some people may not care for my tell it like it is approach,but I consider the info that I'm trying to pass on to be factual,and acurate.My Daytona clone will have to wait its turn for resto,but the nosecone is completely assembled and is on the car,and everything fits and functions correctly.My car is a Charger 500,so the window plug was installed by creative industries in 69,and I have an original wing.Thanks to Mike,I will have a correct appearing wingcar clone.I don't like to blow my own horn,but since Rene asked for pictures,thats why I mensioned the magazine.I dont have any photos of the car on my computer.

dayclona

Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 24, 2005, 01:03:21 AM
ok chargervert   you seem to suck up to dayclona, all the time. there's been alot of clones before dayclona .show us some of your creations. I've yet to see one of your creations. a wing washer is a big washer. it's real easy to make , it just won't look exactly like the original. who the the fuck cares it's a clone.
i don't think   a dayclona wing washer can handle the weight of a solid aluminum wing, and yea they cost a fucking lot. Peace Rene

Rene', Pete,a.k.a. chargervert; isn't sucking up to DAYCLONA as you suggest!....merely trying to warn   Daytonalo about a   problem with some wing braces out there, the Janak braces which have been copied by other wingcar vendors, but never checked against originals, or installed are plaqued with a serious problem that Chargervert mentioned. ( I can hear Wingnut 69/70 now! dave before you go off the deep end! defending Janak, keep in mind, I've had several sets of his braces in my possesion, I currently have a set!and would "love" to put in your "original" daytona, only a "little" rework/bodywork needed after installation!........and if need be, I'll supply you/ted with the phone# 's of a few janak brace users that have a "bone to pick" re:(brake) with him!.........enough of this crap................and Rene', yes Chargervert is truly a "know it all", because if you knew him!, you'd find that besides being known by allmost everbody in the hobby, having owned more Mopars than any one human could! having bought and sold countless cars,parts, NOS and used......and just being too helpful to anybody with mopar pulsing in their veins! he's anthing but "obnoxious or sucking up"..........if any thing, I see some of you guys here sucking up so hard! you have yellow paint on your lips!................duh!...................................and in regards to my (DAYCLONA) wing washers   not withstanding a solid aluminum wing.............1st, I would never mount that much weight on the rear quarters, nor want to see the results of doing that at 120-150mph!......you are planning on going that fast, aren't you?..........wingcars are for flying!................I'm not here to promote any of my "products", just compare "notes" and offer my experience of being involved in mopars for the last 30 years!....25 of those years manufacuring/selling E-body and wingcar repros.......ahhh! the good ole days when nobody liked Mopars, now everybody wants to be a winger! :rotz:

chargervert

YOU RULE MIKE!!!!!!!(sucking sounds in the back round!!!!!!!)Ive got three fingers on my forehead in the shape of a "W"!!!!!! :devil:

BigBlockSam

hey chargervert
it seems that i have read you wrong. it's tough to gauge someone when reading , instead of talking to them. you will get no more shit from me.    :cheers:

yes i plan on taking my car on the speedway to see what it can do. i drive the wheels off my cars.    :drive:

the wing braces i have are an original set off a totaled daytona i found in a junk yard, yes in a junk yard in the late 70's. there wasn't much left to the car so i took what i could. i've loved these wing cars for a very long time. but have never been able to afford one. thats why i'm building one. i want it to be as correct as i can.   i sent my wing braces to larry-hotrod98. he copied them and sold them to anybody on the board that wanted them at cost. i know how tight money can be and just wanted to help other wing car lovers achieve there dream. .    Peace Rene

ps i suck up to no one, i am a self made man , no paint of any color on my lips.  O0

chargervert

Rene,no hard feelings from me man! I just try to tell these guys what I have gone through with my wingcar clone! I tell the good the bad and the ugly!Sometimes it fustrates me,when I tell someone what happened to me,and they bash me for it! This is a turning point in the wingcar hobby,Mike and a few other guys have stepped up to the plate,and have made an acurate,and functional wingcar a reality for us! What I am trying to tell people,is that parts that are durable,and fit and function correctly,are being reproduced! No there not cheap! Mike dosent have stamping presses,its all hand made,and it takes a lot of time to reproduce them.I don't know what process Jack,and Erik are using to make their parts,but I have met Jack at the Mopar Nats,and have seen his workmanship,and its very good!I'm glad that you scored an original set of braces,and that hot rod 98 reproed them.I was extatic when I scored my original wing,and wingwashers! I commend hot rod98 for also stepping up to the plate for you guys!Thats what Mike did for myself,and my friend Gary,who built the 71 wingcars!And I can't thank Mike enough! I know that money is an issue when building a wingcar clone,(I'm not made of money either)but some parts will cost you more in the long run,than if you just antied up in the begining! I would like to see everyone who wants a wingcar,have one,and have one that people have to really do there homework to tell that its not the real thing!

Old Moparz

Bob                

chargervert

Hey Bob,thats too funny!!!!!!,if you think I'm opinionated about wingcar parts,I'm even more opinionated about how its just not right for two sweaty men to be rolling around on the floor together!

Daytona Guy

Well at least we can agree on that.

BTW, adding a wing that is 35 pounds more (than an original wing) that can produce 400+ pounds of down force is a mute point.

I hope no one is running down Dayclona for their price. They do incredible work. The point is that not everyone can afford it. Just because one can't afford the higher quality part does not mean they shouldn't or can't build a Daytona. Admittedly it will not be as valuable or have the quality, but one can still do it and have fun. I do.

69_500

I will have to say this, Chargervert has been very nice to me everytime that I have talked to him. I had chatted to him quite a bit over on Moparts before he began posting here. Very informative person. I'm looking forward to one day seeing his 500 that he is cloning into a Daytona. I personally wish he would leave it a 500, but that is my opinion. I don't have any problem with him making it a Daytona, as to me if down the road he sells the car, it is easily turned back into a 500 without an extreme amount of work. I have also checked out the cars that Dayclona has made over the years, as they have been at various shows. They do incredible work in my opinion.

As far as the parts that Janek makes. I haven't ever really examined any of their parts up close and personal so I have no opinion of those at all.

My dream is to have a matching Daytona and a 500. Both of same color inside, and out. but I want the Daytona to be a 4 speed. Only problem is coming up with the money. Same problem as everyone else it seems. However I don't think I'll ever go the route of cloning a Daytona. I think I'll just remain patient and eventually I'll be able to get a real 4 speed Daytona.

chargervert

Thanks 69 500,I am to far into the Daytona project,using the 500,to turn back.I don't want to rule out putting it back,but it is probably not going to happen! When I bought the car,I was going to keep it original,but then I found an original wing,and that sealed the cars fate! At the time that I bought this car,nobody gave 500s any respect,they were the Chargers with the ugly grilles that nobody wanted,no matter how rare they were! on top of that my 500 is missing its matching numbers motor,and has all of the rust of a typical New England car,so I did not think I was hurting too much by making my dream wingcar from! I have my parts from mike to complete the nose,and the original wing to complete the rear.I bought two rust free California cut off quarters to get the body in shape,and its just waiting for me to finish the new garage,and do two other Mopars that have been waiting for me to get to,then I will get to it! I hope you find the Daytona you are looking for,If not people like Mike can help you build a clone of it that you can drive,and enjoy everyday!I saw your 500,its a really nice car! I enjoyed talking to you! I have met a lot of really good people through this hobby,including some of my best friends! There are a lot more good people I have yet to meet!

THE CHARGER PUNK

from looking around i say it would be best to go with danes wing,hot rod 98's wing brackets,dayclonas nose,headlight doors etc. and the rest seesm to be the best bet 2 save money would to get the rest from stinger. (and as for the rear plug i would personaly go with dayclonas plug. exspensive ? YES worth it? YES but if you wana save$$ go with the vega plug save $$$ on glass and trim. thats my 2 bits-MATT

BigBlockSam

if i were to do it again i would consider dayclona's window plug too. i thought the vega plug was  a better match than it is. i think the time you save in labor  makes it worth while. Rene

dayclona

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on November 25, 2005, 05:17:48 PM
from looking around i say it would be best to go with danes wing,hot rod 98's wing brackets,dayclonas nose,headlight doors etc. and the rest seesm to be the best bet 2 save money would to get the rest from stinger. (and as for the rear plug i would personaly go with dayclonas plug. exspensive ? YES worth it? YES but if you wana save$$ go with the vega plug save $$$ on glass and trim. thats my 2 bits-MATT

Well said Charger Punk, the whole idea here is: it's your car, your money, your labor, your choice of vendors, either one stop shopping, or mix it up between vendors to get the best deal/parts for your money!......I personally have no problem directing people to other wingcar vendors when I can't meet their requests!( although I might dislike Janaks customer relations, and some of his products, I do direct people his way, although enlightened!)................I don't sit here and sprout that my repros are the best, thats for you the consumer/ end user to determine ; and if you don't like my products/ service/ prices/ customer relations,.........don't be afraid to tell me, ............this or any web/board site your opinion,..........your intitled to it,............just as I'm intitled to my opinions, good or bad,...........although; I do like to base my opinions on facts and experience(s)....................thanks, Mike/DAYCLONA :icon_smile_cool:

chargervert

I think that you guys are getting what I was trying to tell you! I have found through my experences,that some of the glass parts will work perfectly fine,but the parts that are structual,or will be bonded to metal,will cause problems down the line. If you have the coin,and you want an as original clone,than using a mix from the current vendors can produce an as original wingcar! Gene Gregory,and Jack McGaughy,can make a steel,as original nosecone,Mikes headlight buckets,Z bars,front valance,and spoiler,Mikes rear window plug,and a repro glass rear window,and Danes wing can make an as original wingcar possible! Mikes wing washers are as original,and the scoops,and braces that are made by most of the vendors are ok,just check them for fit before you crank them down to the quarter panel.Erik Nelson is now offering the A pillar chrome moldings,and some of the vendors are looking into as original rear window chrome. For those guys who don't have that kind of budget,then a mix of parts from the current vendors,like Charger punk was saying,can still produce a wingcar,that will have function,and longevity! I strongly recommend that people don't skimp on the structual parts,like wings(Danes wing,and Mikes steel wing will never crack, warp,or delaminate on you.And steel Zeebars are a must,headlights that function are a must,and wing washers and braces are a must.The rear window plug should be steel,weather you use the Vega plug or the Dayclona plug,is up to you guys,and the constraints of your budget!which ever way you go,>it will be a welded steel plug that will move with the rest of the body are will have far less chance of cracking! this is just my opinion,and advise,I hope it helps you guys out.