News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trunk floor integrity

Started by Hudson Hornet !, May 13, 2008, 08:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudson Hornet !

Hello, this is my first post as I have just aquired a 1968 383 4-speed charger. My question is this: how much support does the trunk floor give to the rear spring mounts? My charger has some corrosion in the trunk near the spring ( 1 golf ball sized hole near each spring mount)  and I was wondering if this constitutes as a serious problem. Any info would be appreciated! By the way, the framerails, spring mounts, etc, are all solid, it is the trunk floor that has the rust. Thank you.
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

terrible one

I asked about this a good while back, asking if it was alright to drive the car with no trunk floor, and was told that it doesn't offer much support. The way the rear spring hangers attach to the frame rails, along with the fact that it doesn't sound like you have much rust at all in the trunk, I would say that you're fine.

Mike DC

Yeah, you can pretty much drive the car w/o the entire trunkfloor if the rest of the subframe rails & the rearend panels are all solid. 

Charger-Bodie

id like to see pics from the top and buttom in these areas before advising.  :scratchchin:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

Quote from: 1hot68 on May 14, 2008, 08:05:36 AM
id like to see pics from the top and buttom in these areas before advising.  :scratchchin:

:iagree:  100%!!!!

I personally wouldn't drive around the block without a trunk floor. It does add rigidity to the rear frame rails. A rotted floor is one thing, but NO floor??

Sounds like a few small rust holes would be fine, but pictures would be nice.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Mike DC

I don't anybody is literally advocating driving the car around the block without a trunk pan in the car.  We're just saying the trunk pan is fine with a few rust holes in it as long as the rest of the rearend and rails are solid.

TexasStroker

Yeah, just post a few pics so everyone can get a better idea of what your situation is like.

If that is all that is going on I'd say you'd be fine till it becomes a bigger problem...I would venture to guess ATLEAST 1 out of every 2 of us have driven our Chargers with some similar amount of rust/rot in the trunk  :lol:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!