News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any tips how to get the body lines straight?

Started by bobfist, September 13, 2014, 01:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobfist

thanks for all the tips ad answers!
I will give it a try!

This is the final thing to get the car done
www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden

Patronus

Yes, depending on which tape you use. The more you tape the sharper the line. I like to start with the hi-po green tape from 3m. Then alternate with blue or tan tape.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

don duick

I tried the tape also and I found it difficult to get a straight line. It takes skill and a lot of practice. I am not a body guy. On the doors and front fenders I used an aluminium flat bar strip which is perfectly straight. I clamped this strip onto the panel and ran my speedfile along this strip to get a straight line. The rear quarters I had no choice but to use the tape took me about 10 attempts before I got an acceptable line.

Cncguy

Quote from: bobfist on September 14, 2014, 11:54:56 AM
Thanks for all the answers.
Yes it seems like this will be the end to my build, i dont think i can do this bodywork myself.
I knew this day would come, my dad was the guy who could handle bodywork.

Quit being a perfectionist, get it as good as you can and paint it. Not everyone needs a world class show car.

bobfist

I have to ask
Do you guys just lay one layer of tape or many to get the hight?

www.bobfist.com
Sweden

hemi-hampton

I'll usually use 1 layer of 3/4" tape & then sometimes 1 or 2 layers of 1 1/2"  over that. LEON.

JB400

Is this character line really that badly distorted that it needs to be sculpted on the reproduction panels?  Or, is it just the areas between the character lines?

bobfist

ok bec i tried with one layer, but it seams to "low"

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 18, 2014, 03:24:56 PM
I'll usually use 1 layer of 3/4" tape & then sometimes 1 or 2 layers of 1 1/2"  over that. LEON.
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

Dino

Quote from: bobfist on September 18, 2014, 03:42:27 PM
ok bec i tried with one layer, but it seams to "low"

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 18, 2014, 03:24:56 PM

Use as many as you need, whatever works to get the job done.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Patronus

Im right there with ya
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Lord Warlock

Wish I'd tried the 5 layer instead of just a 1 layer, tried it numerous times without success on the front fender in front of the wheel well.  It did work pretty well on the back fender though.  Think the 1 layer of tape just didn't build up a sufficient line and it would keep sanding off when blocking.  Finally just said I'd worry about it in the future as that one fender had postponed completion for over two years, car had been hit before I got it and it was repaired well but I took it all off when stripping the paint off.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.