News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 Headlight Door won't close

Started by W4ATL, May 07, 2008, 07:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W4ATL

The headlight doors on my 68 Charger will open and the left one closes. But the right one sticks in the open position. It appears to catch on something. When I pull it down past what it is caught on it will come down on its own. Is there something in the actuator that catches and keeps the door open and can it easily be fixed? I don't want to tear into the actuator if I can help it.

Finn

If your grill is/was messed up sometimes the doors will rub, mine has a slight bend to it that causes the right door to hit on top but Im hoping to fix that when it goes back in the car by tightening some bolts and spacing others.
Pictures?
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

UFO

Disconnect the vacuum lines and move it by hand.Easy way to see what it's hanging up on.

myk

About 12 years ago I pulled a DOH, messed up the front end and my doors have been problematic ever since.  Usually, that's the reason why these doors hang up-the grill's no longer straight and is causing problems.  It wouldn't hurt to check for leaking lines and whatnot also...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

W4ATL

I disconnected the hoses and it still seems like there is something in that vacuum actuator that is catching in the up position - or the position where the arm out of the actuator is retracted. I will disconnect the actuator arm from the door assembly and remove it to be sure.

W4ATL

After playing with the actuator I noticed it actually has two positions where it catches. The first is easy to release. If you go all the way in that is where it really catches hard. So I decided to take the easy way out and made a stop out of a hanger bracket. I measured from the rear bolt on top of the black panel that you look at right as you open the hood, around this cover to where the top of the door comes to in the open position. I cut the hanger bracket and adjusted it so the door stops at the first catch but does not open all the way so it is stuck open on the second catch. Now the door opens and closes like it should.