News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona/500 Rear Window Moulding Question (Added Pics)

Started by Old Moparz, October 14, 2005, 10:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

I'm not 100% sure if I plan to do the rear window plug on my project, but if I were, I had wanted to use the Vega hatch method so I had steel instead of fiberglass, a window & the mouldings. Just by chance, I came across a package deal on most of the fiberglass repro parts from a guy who bailed on his Daytona project. (The nose cone, headlight parts, wing etc.) One of the items in this deal is the fiberglass window plug from Ted Janak.

The deal also included the mouldings that surround the edge of the window, but they appear to be very different. The set he gave me is a complete, 5 piece set that's approximately the same shape as the window, but it's off a few inches in both directions, as well as a slight angle difference in each corner. (I'll try to lay out the plug I got with the mouldings on it & take a photo to show how different they are, but that might not happen today.)

I'm guessing I may have a set of Vega mouldings, but I don't know. Can anyone tell me, or post a photo, of what the Vega mouldings look like? Maybe even a photo of what the stock Charger Daytona/500 mouldings look like too. I do have a set of stock Charger mouldings from a standard, recessed rear window, & they are much flatter than the ones I got with the plug.

Thanks, Bob
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Daytona Guy

<< I do have a set of stock Charger mouldings from a standard, recessed rear window, & they are much flatter than the ones I got with the plug.>>>

The 500/Daytona have the same shape trim moldings as the charger but are longer going down the sides. As for the Vega vs the Daytona window, they are without question different, but close. Every person just has to weigh the cost. If you have the money and money is not an issue - go big time. For me, making a clone is a clone, and it is never going to be a real Daytona. If someone wants to make an identical Daytona and compete at the Mopar Nat, then I would never use a Vega. That is just me. What I think is funny, is when I see a clone and they go all out to make the rear window, and then not convert the side markers to a 69, or the tail lights to 69. No matter what you do they will always ask, if you have an original or not, "Is it original". Too funny.  

Old Moparz

Hi Dane,

I was trying to look at a photo of the back of your yellow car, but the window moulding is too far away to see any details. I was pretty sure the mouldings I got were not Charger ones, but now I just need to see what the Vega mouldings look like up close. Maybe tonight I'll get some photos of these to post them. I'm still up in the air about doing the window conversion because I have mixed feeling over the need to be closer to a real Daytona, & the fact I'm not crazy about the look of the flush window.

For me, it's also something I didn't want to do because of the work involved in modifying the car that I won't be able to do myself. Cutting & welding the trunk lid, trunk opening, hinges, dutchman panel, plug, & roof line work. It's a lot considering I don't really care for the rear window being flush like that as much as the recessed look. I figure as long as I get all the parts to do it correct, I can still add them later before the car is painted. If not, I can sell them off to someone that wants them.

Bob
               Bob                

472 R/T SE

OM, if they're Vega and you end up not using them and decide to sell, pick me. :) ;) ;D :icon_smile: :icon_smile_approve: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_cool: :icon_smile_kisses: :icon_smile_wink: :yesnod: :laugh: :devil:

I've found in the small amount of time I've driven mine, that that's people's most common, only question.  "Is it real?"   
What really topped the cake was when a Buster Brown driver was delivering a package, he proclaims, "It's a fake isn't it!"  He then let me know of the rip in the back seat that it needed fixed.  Thanks man I didn't see that. :eyes:

hemigeno

The bottom 3 pieces are the same as a Charger's.  It's the two side/top "L" shaped pieces that are different - they are just a few inches longer, as Dane said.  Just for curiosity's sake, I eyeballed the trim on my R/T and compared it to the Daytona, and they look identical in profile to me.  The parts book says they're supposed to be the same, but that by itself wouldn't make it so.

Bob, it doesn't sound as if you need pics of Daytona/500 mouldings, but if you do - let me know and I'll snap off a few pics for you.

Gene

Old Moparz

Thanks hemigeno,

Let me snap pics of the Ted Janak window plug with the mouldings laying on it & post it here first. Maybe a close up of the trim I have & a view from the end section will show the convex shape to it. It bulges outward creating a high point to the center of the moulding face. I just wish I knew someone with a Vega nearby right now. There was a tubbed, V8 Vega hatchback at a local cruise last month, but I had no reason to go look at the moulding shape.   ::)   I did look at the hatch & pointed out to my wife how it will fit the back of the Charger. She was absolutely thrilled & almost did a cart wheel in the parking lot over that tidbit of info.   :icon_smile_big:
               Bob                

Daytona R/T SE

Here's a couple of Daytona rear window pics I snapped for reference at Monster Mopar Weekend a few weeks ago   ;D

Old Moparz

After seeing the trim on the blue car, I know now I definitely have something other than Charger mouldings. I'll get some pics & post them, maybe someone can tell if they're Vega mouldings.

Thanks Daytona R/T SE, that angled shot helped.

Bob
               Bob                

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Old Moparz on October 14, 2005, 07:39:05 PM
After seeing the trim on the blue car, I know now I definitely have something other than Charger mouldings. I'll get some pics & post them, maybe someone can tell if they're Vega mouldings.

Thanks Daytona R/T SE, that angled shot helped.

Bob

Yer welcome  :yesnod:

Old Moparz

I finally have the moulding & window plug photos. The rain kept me busy by flooding my basement, but I squeezed in some time to take these pics. Notice the overall shape of the moulding set compared to the window opening itself. The size & shape are different, as well as the radius of the corner. Look at the close up of the end of one moulding piece so you can see the shape compared to a stock, flat Charger moulding.
               Bob                

Charger_Fan

To me, those don't look like they are made to fit even the Vega window.

Dane will probably have better pics (here's one from one of Renee's posts)...at least the trim in this pic fits the window.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

CF, I'm pretty sure that window plug you posted is actually the Vega hatch. I could be wrong, but I thought that's what was said about it. Maybe Dane or anyone with a Vega version will see it.
               Bob                

BigBlockSam

sure look like vega hatchback window mouldings to me.  i got mine at the shop . i will dig them out on monday and compare. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

472 R/T SE

I'm not Dane but here's mine. :P  Looks like Vega to me.

Old Moparz

Hey AllBlueRT,

That radius at the corner looks the same, I probably do have the Vega trim. I wonder if anyone has any off the car to see a cross section?

Thanks, Bob
               Bob                

PocketThunder

Quote from: hemigeno on October 14, 2005, 03:23:09 PM
The bottom 3 pieces are the same as a Charger's.  It's the two side/top "L" shaped pieces that are different - they are just a few inches longer, as Dane said.  Just for curiosity's sake, I eyeballed the trim on my R/T and compared it to the Daytona, and they look identical in profile to me.  The parts book says they're supposed to be the same, but that by itself wouldn't make it so.

Bob, it doesn't sound as if you need pics of Daytona/500 mouldings, but if you do - let me know and I'll snap off a few pics for you.

Gene

:scratchchin: 

Are you sure the rear window trim corner pieces are the same size on a Daytona/500 vs Regular Charger?

I can only find one set for both my cars and i'm 99% sure they are for the 500.  but i need a set for the glass guys tomorrow when they come to install my back window in the 68.  So if they are the same then i will use this set i have now and get another set for the 500 later..

thanks

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Daytona R/T SE

WINGMAN

YES THE LOWER CORNERS ARE THE SAME BUT THE BOTTEM TRIM IS RADIUSED DIFFRENT, YOU CAN MODIFY A REGULAR ONE. I THINK MIKE AT DAYCLONA WILL DO IT IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO MESS WITH IT. THE TOP TRIM YOU WILL NEED TWO SETS SO YOU CAN LENGHEN THEM. :icon_smile_cool:  JR.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,