News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

forum organization

Started by American_Muscle, May 11, 2008, 12:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

American_Muscle

I have been on a few sites that divide generations of vehicles. I think it would definately help users to have a separation of 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation chargers. I know I sometimes have a hard time sorting through the 2nd gen posts to find one relevent to my 3rd gen. just an idea.
Kevin
1970 Super Bee Project

1974 Dodge Charger Project

1978 Dodge W200 Power Wagon Project

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 High Output Cummins Diesel with 6 Speed Manual

Ghoste

I'm going to offer an opposite opinion though and say that there are already enough sites devoted to the specific generations, even specific model years in some cases.  One of the things I like best about this site is the (almost) all inclusiveness of it.  I know it's frustrating when you only want to read stuff about one generation but I've learned a lot about other generations by just jumping into the deep end.  :Twocents:

Troy

This has been discussed before on a few different occasions. The main reason for NOT splitting things up is: where do you stop? Mechanically, there isn't a huge amount of difference in these cars from 66-74 so nearly every thread in the Tech section covers multiple years - if not all years. The "experts" that hang out in the tech sections have limited time so it makes their lives easier if they don't have to find and answer similar (or identical) questions in 3-4 different places. It's possible to have sub-boards under each of the technical areas but they would need to be strictly for year specific questions. (This makes more sense than breaking the site into generations with a full tech area under each.) Unfortunately, this increases the demands on moderators by having to move misplaced threads to the right place and increases complexity for site visitors. Hierarchical navigation is great as long as everyone thinks the same but it gets cumbersome and confusing as it grows.

What I'd like to do is take the informative threads and put them into a "Tech Archive" that can be searched and filtered by various criteria. The navigation will need to provide multiple paths to relevant threads based on "tags" or other keywords. I'm working on a couple of different solutions for this.

The General Discussion is "general" by nature so it won't make much sense to split that one, Off Topic and the Lighter Side shouldn't contain any discussions about Chargers, and the Classifieds aren't busy/crowded enough to separate them out any smaller.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69bronzeT5

I agree. I love the site the way it is!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

American_Muscle

Troy, that does make a lot of sense. I wasn't really thinkin about all that, the only place i could see the benefit of division after the point you made would be in paint and body perhaps, as thats where the largest variations are. The search engine could make things a lot easier hope to see it work out the way you have it planned. I love the site in any case, it's where i found my charger, and where I come to seeking information and advice.
Thanks for keeping the site up and great
Kevin
1970 Super Bee Project

1974 Dodge Charger Project

1978 Dodge W200 Power Wagon Project

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 High Output Cummins Diesel with 6 Speed Manual