News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440Source Stroker Build Finally Back from Dyno (with results, video and pics)

Started by Mfr426, May 12, 2008, 02:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

OK folks, I am posting the dyno numbers from my 512/440Source engine build that I just FINALLY had dyno'd on Friday.  I started this project over a year ago and it has finally come together. Kudos to Ron (firefighter) for putting together this great build and for PUTTING UP WITH MY ENDLESS QUESTIONS!  :cheers:

I am quite happy with the results. All dyno work was done at Ray Barton Racing Engines as they are about 10 minutes from my home. It was Ron's idea to have a professional shop do the break-in and it was a wise move. I have too much money tied up into this build to take any chances. The cost for the break-in and 3 pulls was about $570.00. Well worth the investment in my opinion.

Here are the basics:

68 "D" 440 block bored .030 over

-440 Source 440 >> 512. (4.250" stroke/7.100" rod) factory balanced
-All new Clevite 77s main bearings, cam bearings, etc.
-New Hemi oil pan, oil pickup and 440Source windage tray.
-New Main Caps and ARP studs
-New 440 Source Stealth Aluminum Heads
-New ARP 12 point head bolts
-New Engle K60H Cam and Engle Lifters
-New Crane Chrome Moly Pushrods.
-New Crane Rocker Shafts
-New Stock MP rocker arms
-New Crane 3 bolt double roller timing gear/chain and cover.
-New Proform 950cfm Race Carb
-New Fabulous Fabrications Dubble Pumper Fuel Lines
-New Holley Street Dominator Intake
-New MP Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit
-New MSD Blaster Coil
-New FireCore 50 8mm plug wires
-New Summit Harmonic Damper
-New Melling high volume oil pump

Here is a link to a video of the run and some shots of the motor on the dyno system. The motor ran perfectly with great power, no odd noises, good oil pressure and NO LEAKS!!!

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk180/mfr426/Wedge%20505%20at%20Bartons/

FLG

Sweet, bookmarking this page for when i do my 440>512 stroker. Seems like a great street engine with all that hp/torque at low RPM's. Congrats  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Be sure to post up some video when ya put it in

Blakcharger440

Hmmmmm.....I am building almost the exact same combo and I was hoping to see at least 50-60 more HP produced.  However your torque numbers are just fantastic.  :2thumbs:

I wonder why so low on the HP? Because I have read numerous times about waaay less serious combos than these making 500HP.  :scratchchin:

MOPARHOUND!

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on May 12, 2008, 03:17:20 PM
Hmmmmm.....I am building almost the exact same combo and I was hoping to see at least 50-60 more HP produced.  However your torque numbers are just fantastic.  :2thumbs:

I wonder why so low on the HP? Because I have read numerous times about waaay less serious combos than these making 500HP.  :scratchchin:

I wonder as well. 

The 496" was a similar build in the beginning, but using factory iron "452" heads with oversize valves and a couple of basic porting tricks done.  It made 514HP/598Torque.  Could be different dynos??  After bolting on the Eddy's, the butt-o-meter was telling me it had to be making at least another 50-70 more horsepower.

1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Mfr426

According to 440 Source the compression is 10.5 to 1. Keep in mind that I took these heads out of the box and bolted them on with NO porting.

Ron told me that my cam was small hence the low HP. My wife has been telling me the same thing for years. :hah:

Barton's son was doing the dyno and said the torque was fantastic and that number is what I should be looking at.

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Mfr426 on May 12, 2008, 03:37:31 PM
According to 440 Source the compression is 10.5 to 1. Keep in mind that I took these heads out of the box and bolted them on with NO porting.

Ron told me that my cam was small hence the low HP. My wife has been telling me the same thing for years. :hah:

Barton's son was doing the dyno and said the torque was fantastic and that number is what I should be looking at.

I was hoping you didnt do any porting but I still figured it would be around 550HP. I wonder if any HP could have been gained up top if the timing had been advanced to 36 or 37.  :scratchchin:

Your engine is still a torque monster! Congrats!

Blakcharger440

I dont see a 440/512 combo that specs out at 10.5 with the 84cc heads.....did you mean 10.05?

General_01

Looks like a good street motor. Awesome. Hope my 496 turns out just as good.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Musicman

Those numbers look real nice  :2thumbs:
What size header were you running on it at the time... IE : Dia. & Runner Length

firefighter3931

Mike, thanks for posting the dyno sheets !  :2thumbs:  Barton is right....the torque/bottom end power are the most important numbers in this type of build and yours has LOTS....and then some !  :icon_smile_big:

That is a beautiful flat torque curve.....geez 580 ftlbs at 3500 rpm is Killer !  :devil:

For the guys asking about the HP numbers....they are right where they should be. The cam profile was specced based on streetability and vacuum requirements for power brakes. This engine will idle like a stock 440 and light the tires up at will from just about any speed ( be careful Mike  :icon_smile_big:)

The Source heads flow ~250 cfm @ .500 lift so this motor is using all the cylinder head can give it. The cam was specced on a wide 112* lsa to reduce overlap, spread out the power and make for a stockish mellow "idle". This car is going to be a real wolf in sheeps clothing....can you say sleeper  :naughty:

If Mike wants another 100hp a cam swap and some head porting is all that would be needed. With 3.55's and a 2500-2800 stall, this is the perfect build....inmo  :yesnod:

Throw some slicks on the car, heat them up and this baby will run 11's....no problem.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mfr426

Ron, that's exactly what I was going to say... ;D

I'm not sure what size headers were on the motor as Barton supplied them. They did comment that they were tti headers though.

mally69

:o  Totally impressive bottom end number's.. Good job on that build :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

WOW!  thats some power plant you have there :cheers:

I like that ECU bracket as well....nice touch painting it engine color :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

joflaig

Nice. And that is almost identical to my build except for the heads. I had un-ported 84cc Eddys. The motor made just a bit more power: 543hp / 612 fpt. The cam was also an Engle (k62 intake lobe/ k64 exhaust, 244/250 duration, .540/.557 valve lift, 110* lsa).

Per Ron's advice I also added 1" carb spacer for the dyno.

BLAM

NJ mfr426!!  Nice numbers and thanks for posting.

I am really starting to see a little of Ron's soul in most of the new stroker builds documented on this great site!  All the members here provide great info and support but Ron always seems to provide that little something extra.

Thank you Ron!
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Mfr426

Chris, your bracket gave me the idea for mine. It took about an hour to fabricate but it looks pretty good IMHO. It fits nicely under the air cleaner too.

Ron's attack plan for this build was right on. I drive my car to work once a week and like to cruise. I'n not a racer. I have power everything on this car and didnt want a true race car. I wanted something reliable that would give me good brakes and could fry the tires at will. I also like reliability and wanted something low maintenance. With that said, once I on the frame connectors I will take it to Maple Grove and give it a run just for the hell of it.

I hope to install the motor within the next 2 weeks. I have to pull out my trusty 383 next and then just drop this in. I'll be certain to video a good smokie burnout for everyone.

For those going to Carlisle, I will be there again. Ron, I HOPE YOU MAKE IT as I have a case of good beer with your name on it!!!

firefighter3931

Quote from: BLAM on May 12, 2008, 11:04:45 PM
NJ mfr426!!  Nice numbers and thanks for posting.

I am really starting to see a little of Ron's soul in most of the new stroker builds documented on this great site!  All the members here provide great info and support but Ron always seems to provide that little something extra.

Thank you Ron!

Thanks for the kind words Andy.  :icon_smile_cool:  Mike deserves a lot of credit as well because he selected most of the parts and did his homework....i just fine tuned the build for his application.  ;)

Not everybody wants or needs a 6500rpm redline screamer. In Mike's case he wanted a torque monster with zero maintenance and this is what he got....oil changes and spark plugs are all this motor will need to provide years of trouble free service.  :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: Mfr426 on May 13, 2008, 06:44:54 AM
I'll be certain to video a good smokie burnout for everyone.

For those going to Carlisle, I will be there again. Ron, I HOPE YOU MAKE IT as I have a case of good beer with your name on it!!!

Mike, i for one will be looking forward to that Video.  :drool5:  I hope to make it to Carlisle and have a few cold ones.  :cheers:

Ron

Ps. I don't know if you've seen this thread but if you haven't "bulletproofed" the driver side motor mount....now is the time.  :thumbup:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13216.0.html
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mfr426

Ron, that's another good tip! Since I have everything out of the car now, I think I'll add this added support.

:cheers:

General_01

Nice idea Ron. I will definately be doing this mod on the stroker. :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Challenger340

Thats a real nice engine, very good torque. It should drive very nicely.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

six-tee-nine

WOW  that torque curve.......

I guess when you floor it for the first time your face is gonna look like  :scared:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

timinator

Hey Mfr426, just curious as to what cam you were running? I like the build and plan on a similiar one soon.

FLG

Quote from: timinator on May 16, 2008, 10:23:12 AM
Hey Mfr426, just curious as to what cam you were running? I like the build and plan on a similiar one soon.

Engle K60H

Mfr426

bull

What kind of hp drop would you expect with this build when it's checked at the wheels (if it is)?

Looks like a good combo. Should be lots of fun. :2thumbs:

Mfr426

Bull, I've wondered that as well. I'll let the pros make the call on this one. 

:scratchchin:

375instroke

Wonder what exhaust manifolds would do to the power/torque  Any guesses?

Blown70

No pro, but most dirvelines take up about 13-20% of the HP, I could be wrong.  But that is often the case. and does depend on a few factors.

aifilaw

That's an absolutely gorgeous torque curve, you guys are finally putting together with a 440 stroker what I've been doing with a 383 with a 440 crank, and I'm really liking the potential on the stealth heads in this region.
They appear to be exactly as advertised, its not a race head for high HP, although it would probably do a decent job if you port it out and match it with a good cam. For a street able head that makes an obscene amount of power, I think I'm sold.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 12, 2008, 06:21:22 PM
The cam profile was specced based on streetability and vacuum requirements for power brakes. This engine will idle like a stock 440 and light the tires up at will from just about any speed
That sounds like the perfect engine combo for me..  :scratchchin:

gordo1968charger

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on May 26, 2008, 04:35:20 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 12, 2008, 06:21:22 PM
The cam profile was specced based on streetability and vacuum requirements for power brakes. This engine will idle like a stock 440 and light the tires up at will from just about any speed
That sounds like the perfect engine combo for me..  :scratchchin:
ME TOO!!! :drool5:
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

chargerman68

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Steve P.

Looks to me like it's time to buy some stock in M/T. You will be spending a bunch of your allowance on rubber.  ;)

Great build...  Ron knows his chit....    :2thumbs:

I also think this would be a great build for MOST of the mainly street cars on the board. How do you beat those TQ. numbers??  This is a purring LION..........
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

500Jon

Sweet!

Perfect for a C-body coming in at TWO TONS!!!(with a passenger) :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
Was gonna go 543 but, this combo looks right on the money.
I assume that was a dish piston set-up as the flat-tops are way up in the 11's to one, with Edelbrocks.

Is the engine still running after 8 long years lol... :slap:

5J
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Charger 512

BSB67

Well Done.

Don't get caught up in the hp numbers game.  There is so much BS out there.  I would have put this motor in the 480 to 500 hp range.

I think the build is excellent for the intended purpose.  For a 100% street duty car, when the hammer is dropped, 95% of the passengers will think it is 600 hp.

It would be easy to put another 60 hp in this, but look at the simplicity of it as built. OOTB-value-minded-heads, stock valve gear, easy on parts cam. This it a true close the hood and forget about it, change the oil once a year deal.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

heyoldguy

So, how is that bruiser running, just eight years after the dyno test?

BSB67

Quote from: heyoldguy on December 10, 2016, 11:29:31 AM

Good grief.  Im feeling a bit like an idiot here

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

heyoldguy

Quote from: cdr on December 10, 2016, 12:38:01 PM
Quote from: BSB67 on December 10, 2016, 12:11:11 PM

You are NO idiot

Certainly not and idiot. I think it is funny because I've stepped in the same pile of poop before.

cdr

Quote from: heyoldguy on December 10, 2016, 07:12:47 PM
Quote from: cdr on December 10, 2016, 12:38:01 PM
Quote from: BSB67 on December 10, 2016, 12:11:11 PM

You are NO idiot

Certainly not and idiot. I think it is funny because I've stepped in the same pile of poop before.

I too have done it more than once LOL
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr