News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone ever compare super stock springs and cal tracs?

Started by Chargerguy74, July 27, 2005, 02:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargerguy74

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Chryco Psycho

Ghoste

I brought this question up on another forum and got a lot of different answers but basically, a properly tuned set of Cal Tracs outperform the Super Stock leaf springs.  Most of the guys using them said they are not a great street/strip setup but better for a track only car.

Chargerguy74

Cool, thanks for replies. I'm leaning towards cal tracs, I think they're cheaper too last time I compared.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

RD

what springs are they using with the caltracs?  monoleaf, HD, stock? inquiring minds want to know.  :icon_smile_wink:
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

The people who seem to have had the best results with them have been using a monoleaf.

firefighter3931

The caltracs are very harsh driving on the street when there is some preload adjusted into the suspension. If you plan on street driving it a lot the best way to enjoy your ride would be to loosen them off...or you'll lose all the fillings in your teeth.   :icon_smile_tongue: They do work extremely well at the track...a friend runs them on his cuda and the car is dead on consistent.   :thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chargerguy74

I do plan on a lot of street driving, but not much cruising. It'll definately be just a friday night car....hard driven most the time. Just take it out to tune up the chevies.

sandman21

There was a good article on the CalTracs a few months back in MM.  I will see if I can find the exact date...

BrianShaughnessy

The caltracs are fine for a street car too.    I just use the regular R/T springs with them.   Not a lot of preload and a medium setting on the ranchos and the car holds the road and goes straight if ya nail it.   They beat the crap out of those BFG radial t/a's when I hit the go pedal tho.    I don't see any need for me to run a rear sway bar with them (so far).   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

CFMopar

You can try building your own traction bars

http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Traction.html

One of the many things I have on my list to do  :P
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Chargerguy74

Excellent read, thanks for the link! I guess my question now would be what springs would I want to run with the caltracs???

Ghoste

Full race, I'd go with their recommended monoleaf.  Street and strip, I'd use the Hemi (HD) type of spring.  A mainly street app, I'd stay with the stock spring.

Chargerguy74

Thanks ghoste, I was thinking that would be the way to go.....Hemi springs

Chargerguy74

What about caltrac bars and super stock springs?

CFMopar

I dont think you can run caltracs and ss springs because the way ss springs are designed.

Chargerguy74

that's what I originally thought, but wasn sure.

Ghoste

The SS springs are a pretty stiff unit in their own right as you already know.  Same reason the Cal Tracs work best with their own monoleaf.  They are designed to allow a certain amount of spring flex (and resulting axle windup) to plant the tire and then ease out of it as the car gets rolling.  Oversimplifying it I know, but I'm not an engineer and that's about as well as I can explain the dynamics of it.

firefighter3931

Caltracs won't work with a SS spring because the front segment (SS Spring) is too stiff. In that type of application the SS spring and Caltrac bar end up fighting each other. Caltracs are designed to take the flexing front segment and transfer the load back to the tires.   ;) The HD springs are fine with Caltracs or their own monoleafs. My buddy with the cuda runs the HD springs with Caltracs at the track and loosens off the preload when he street drives the car for a more comfortable ride.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Would it be accurate to think of them as an adjustable stiffener for lighter duty springs?

Chargerguy74

Thanks for the good info guys. Still haven't come to a final decision, the HD springs and caltracs would cost a bit more than the ss springs, but it also looks very easy to make my own ''caltracs'' as well.

Ghoste

Be aware that the ss springs are going to ride like a farm wagon and change the stance of the car.  I think also that you have to change the front hangars to use them.

Chargerguy74

Quote from: Ghoste on July 30, 2005, 07:53:19 PM
Be aware that the ss springs are going to ride like a farm wagon and change the stance of the car.   I think also that you have to change the front hangars to use them.

yeah, the hangers part is correct.

Ghoste

Doesn't Competition Engineering or somebody like that make something very similar to the Cal Tracs?

CFMopar

Ghoste