News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

One-time deal on Daytona braces

Started by hotrod98, May 23, 2008, 01:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BROCK

Quote from: moparstuart on June 03, 2008, 12:57:49 PM
  did they think you had guns and amo coming    :smilielol:

No, I don't think so.
I did get in a couple of bass guitars & the driver asked what kind of guns they were.  I said 4 string!

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

hotrod98

Quote from: BROCK on June 03, 2008, 12:35:11 PM
Will your aftermarket Superbird wing become available?  I understand if you're holding onto it for a future project. 
Come to think of it - thats what I'd do too :2thumbs:
I got the wing braces in today.  Maybe the other box will come tomorrow.  The FedEx guys started a pool on what
was in the wooden box!  (good lookin box by the way)  Parts look even better :cheers:

I'm surprised that you got the one box next day (I sent them yesterday)  and even more surprised that you didn't get both boxes on the same day. That's what happened with the parts that I ordered from Dayclona. I got one box yesterday and one box today, both shipped on the same day.
I guess the larger boxes are harder for the guys in the warehouse to drop-kick onto the delivery truck.  :icon_smile_big:

The extra wing will go on the 70 Satellite along with all of the other parts that I've rounded up. I have pretty much everything to build a decent bird clone.
And, if I buy a real bird soon, I'll probably offer the car as a superbird clone project on e-bay.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BROCK

Happens all the time Larry.  Maybe the drivers are setting up another pot for guessing whats in the wooden box :shruggy:
Only tape held the top closed on the 1st box - though there were staple holes?!  Homeland security :shruggy:

It's all there n in great shape so I'm happy.

Theres a 70 Road Runner around the corner just begging for an upgrade - I'll stick with my current projects (while keeping
an eye on that one)

Your Satellite sounds like a clean start!

Keep up the good work!

hotrod98

Did it look like the staples had been removed? Nothing would surprise me nowadays. The entire reason for making the wood boxes was because steel parts seem to tear through packing and cardboard so easily. I didn't tape any of the boxes, only staples,  so someone, somewhere opened it.

Charles Addams

BROCK

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 03, 2008, 09:16:30 PM
Did it look like the staples had been removed? Nothing would surprise me nowadays. The entire reason for making the wood boxes was because steel parts seem to tear through packing and cardboard so easily. I didn't tape any of the boxes, only staples,  so someone, somewhere opened it.

You & I are even up & happy with this box & it's contents Larry!  I'll post a pic of the as delivered condition tomorrow just to show 1 example of what goes on enroute.

Old Moparz

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 03, 2008, 04:53:16 PM

The extra wing will go on the 70 Satellite along with all of the other parts that I've rounded up. I have pretty much everything to build a decent bird clone.
And, if I buy a real bird soon, I'll probably offer the car as a superbird clone project on e-bay.

**Saves this post for future ebay watch list**    :D
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

hotrod98

Quote from: Old Moparz on June 04, 2008, 07:40:42 AM
Quote from: hotrod98 on June 03, 2008, 04:53:16 PM

**Saves this post for future ebay watch list**    :D

It's one of those situations where you're kind of in limbo. It would be my luck to sell the bird clone and then not find a real bird. At least with the car and parts, I could just drop in my 5.7 hemi setup that I bought and make a real drivable wingcar clone that we could pretty much drive anywhere and maybe get halfway decent fuel mileage. Not to mention the lower total investment and lower insurance premiums.
We've always wanted a wingcar to drive to the St. Louis show and possibly on the power tour. Of course the late model cars are starting to take over the power tour lately. They really should limit the year models for the power tour, say pre-80.  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

Old Moparz

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 04, 2008, 10:43:47 AM

It's one of those situations where you're kind of in limbo. It would be my luck to sell the bird clone and then not find a real bird.

I know exactly what that limbo feeling is.   :o

That's why over the winter I made sure I straightened out all the paper work for my old cars. Of the 6 I have, only 2 of them had the pink slips in my name for the longest time. I know 2 cars will be sold this year so I can free up my garage, my time, shorten my things to do list, & concentrate on getting something done.  :lol:

I just may be dragging my '68 Coronet ragtop to Carlisle with a for sale sign in it if I plan this right. I got the papers back a couple of months ago from Broadway Title, & just recently got the transferrable registration from my state DMV. (Just like a title) I'm not sure what the next car I sell will be yet, but once the Coronet is gone I'll figure it out.
               Bob                

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on June 04, 2008, 12:01:07 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on June 04, 2008, 10:43:47 AM

It's one of those situations where you're kind of in limbo. It would be my luck to sell the bird clone and then not find a real bird.

I know exactly what that limbo feeling is.   :o

That's why over the winter I made sure I straightened out all the paper work for my old cars. Of the 6 I have, only 2 of them had the pink slips in my name for the longest time. I know 2 cars will be sold this year so I can free up my garage, my time, shorten my things to do list, & concentrate on getting something done.  :lol:

I just may be dragging my '68 Coronet ragtop to Carlisle with a for sale sign in it if I plan this right. I got the papers back a couple of months ago from Broadway Title, & just recently got the transferrable registration from my state DMV. (Just like a title) I'm not sure what the next car I sell will be yet, but once the Coronet is gone I'll figure it out.
yeah the state registation in new york is different.  When I bought the birdable from long island 10 years ago.  They said all cars before 72 or something like that didnt need titles . Played hell with getting my new missouri title.   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

It's getting more difficult to get a title here in Arkansas as well. I bought a 77 Trans Am SE true smokey and the Bandit car at a bank auction. I started the process in February and they just mailed the title to me yesterday. Even had to buy a bond just to satisfy them. I'm happy to say that most  of my cars are now titled in my name. At least the important ones.
Seems like every time I sell a car though, I end up buying two more.
That "limbo" thing is probably a common thing among us car guys. I've got a restorable 71 Cuda sitting on the top of a four post lift waiting for it's day to come. Some days I think about selling it and other days I vow to never sell it.

Charles Addams

Blown70

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 04, 2008, 01:18:16 PM
I've got a restorable 71 Cuda sitting on the top of a four post lift waiting for it's day to come. Some days I think about selling it and other days I vow to never sell it.

YOU WANT MY PHONE NUMBER WHEN YOU ARE HAVEING ONE OF THOSE SELLING DAYS? :shruggy: :D

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 03, 2008, 09:16:30 PM

The two long boxes appear to have been taped together after coming apart, probably from rough handling.  :P  It appears that a lot of the staples pulled through the fiberboard, although some pulled the staple from the wood.  Both the long boxes "fell open" when the tape was cut, i.e. none of the staples were still holding on.  The short box did not have any tape, but was gapped like the long ones around some edges.  The short box opened easily by hand.

Now the bad news... the flat strip was missing from one of the long boxes... I wonder if FED-EX can locate the part... hope it did not impale someone!

Below are a few pictures...

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

hotrod98

Looks like poor engineering to me. From now on, I'll be sure and tape them up as well. I've had so many problems with the cardboard boxes that I thought that this would be an improvement. I added deck screws to some of the boxes so maybe they will make it okay.

Charles Addams

RTSE69

Hotrod98, From my experience wooden boxes are a "no-no" with shippers, the drivers/loaders don't like them, because of splinters!, so there treated with "disgust", plus your shipping agent won't tell you this, cause he's making money off you!, but wooded boxes are charged a hidden surcharge because of the hazzard, wooden boxes are nice, but best to cover them in a sheet of brown card board, taped :Twocents:

Theron

hotrod98

Live and learn.
I did sand the boxes after stapling them shut so that the Fed-Ex guys wouldn't come looking for me later.
The weak point seems to be the covers. I used old paneling on some of them which probably held the staples a little better.
If I had stayed in the parts business, I would have had to come up with a better plan. Now I'm just buying parts instead of selling them.
Gotta go out to the shop and re-engineer the rest of the boxes before they go out.  ;D

Charles Addams

xs29j8Bullitt

You may need to recall the shipping container design for rework, but the parts are fantastic!  THANKS!!!  :cheers:

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

moparstuart

again glad i didnt have to have them shipped

hotrod98

Bad news, Stuart, I just picked up your box out in the shop and all of the parts fell out.  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 04, 2008, 10:26:29 PM
Bad news, Stuart, I just picked up your box out in the shop and all of the parts fell out.  :icon_smile_big:
I 'm sure you can fix them , hopefully it wont be an arm and a leg charge the gas station already beat you too them

Old Moparz

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 04, 2008, 01:18:16 PM
That "limbo" thing is probably a common thing among us car guys. I've got a restorable 71 Cuda sitting on the top of a four post lift waiting for it's day to come. Some days I think about selling it and other days I vow to never sell it.

You too?   :lol:

Just thought of something Larry, I always wrap boxes with a few layers of filamint tape after I pack & seal them. There is no way it can break unless it's cut with a razor blade. It's the tape with the threads built inside. You might want to wrap it around the crates in a few directions after you close them up. It could hold it together if it were to break or crack open.   :Twocents:
               Bob                

hotrod98

We're on the same page here. I was thinking of either adding short deck screws to the boxes that didn't have them and adding the filament tape or removing the parts from the wood boxes, use the covers as stiffeners and making cardboard boxes from scratch. I still have several sheets of cardboard (corrugated pasteboard) left from the shipping crate that my paint booth came in.
All I know is , I'm not sending the rest of the parts out until the problem is solved.

What year is your cuda?  They're getting very hard to find now. You almost never see a decent project barracuda or cuda for sale anymore.

Charles Addams

Old Moparz

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 05, 2008, 07:43:37 AM
We're on the same page here. I was thinking of either adding short deck screws to the boxes that didn't have them and adding the filament tape or removing the parts from the wood boxes, use the covers as stiffeners and making cardboard boxes from scratch. I still have several sheets of cardboard (corrugated pasteboard) left from the shipping crate that my paint booth came in.
All I know is , I'm not sending the rest of the parts out until the problem is solved.

What year is your cuda?  They're getting very hard to find now. You almost never see a decent project barracuda or cuda for sale anymore.

I used to have access to a banding machine, where you wrap the crate or box with a steel band, then crimp some small metal clips on it. I still have a crimping pliers somewhere & I think places like Northern Tools & such, have the steel bands in the packing supply section of their catalogs. They aren't too expensive either.

As for the crates, I can't see how they opened up like that except for being mishandled by the knuckle draggers that tossed them. I used to build crates for a shipping company & we always used plywood for the bottom & top, pine for the sides. Sometimes the edges & corners would be reinforced with a second layer of pine, kind of like a moulding.

Here's the crate I made for the guy I bought my Cuda grille from. I shipped it with the packing materials to Premiere Plastics in CA at the time, then he wrapped the grille & sent it back. The crate made two 3000 mile trips & came back in perfect shape. I kept the grille inside the cardboard box I made, but now have the crate mounted on the wall above my workbech in the garage as a cabinet.

The Barracuda is also a '71 like yours. I got it from a guy in CT who got it from a guy who found it & dragged it from a barn somewhere in CT. The dealer sticker on the back is from a used car lot in the Washington Heights section of New York City. I even found a dry cleaners ticket under the seat from a place in the Bronx, so this car has seen some rough areas in it's day.  :lol:

Always wanted one, & the price was decent so I jumped on it.

Bob                

BROCK

I got my braces today!  The shipper added cardboard & tape - the wood was gone
Parts are in great shape!  Another happy customer!!!!  Sorry to hear about the box
troubles - but really surprised FedEx put mine back together.

hotrod98

Can you imagine how much abuse they give these packages?  When I mentioned the problem to the ladies at Fed-Ex, all they had to say was that when the delivery guys saw the boxes, they said that they would never make it in one piece. I would use UPS, but they're no better and our UPS office is closed from 10:00 to 3:00 every day. I guess they don't need the business.
Thank goodness these are the last parts I'll be shipping.

Charles Addams

Old Moparz

Hey Larry, I got the small crate & it made it......Thanks   :cheers:

The lid was partially opened, but all 4 pieces were still inside. I know you said there isn't anything else to ship, but if you do send anything, I have some suggestions. First, you definitely have to use screws & not staples. The parts were too heavy in this case, & the weight shifted inside a bit like a slide hammer to loosen things up. The materials you used, wood & hardboards should be okay, but it would be best to pad the corners of the steel with something, like wrapping cardboard & tape around it. Newspaper also works good. The metal bands, or filamint tape, will also help as an insurance policy.

Thanks again, they look good.   :2thumbs:
               Bob