News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

One-time deal on Daytona braces

Started by hotrod98, May 23, 2008, 01:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

On the last batch that I shipped out, I wrapped the boxes in heavy cardboard. wrapped them with clear packing tape and then taped them with 2" wide filament tape.
We'll see.
If that doesn't work, I'll just weld the parts together, slap a label on them and ship 'em out.  :icon_smile_big:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Old Moparz

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 07, 2008, 02:18:24 PM
On the last batch that I shipped out, I wrapped the boxes in heavy cardboard. wrapped them with clear packing tape and then taped them with 2" wide filament tape.
We'll see.
If that doesn't work, I'll just weld the parts together, slap a label on them and ship 'em out.  :icon_smile_big:

Welding might work, but what about people just sending you their car & you just add the parts to it?  :lol:

What you did sounds like it should be more than enough to get it there in good shape.  :2thumbs: 
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

BROCK

Larry done good with the beautiful parts - parts the shippers couldn't tear up :cheers:
The bigger boxes may have suffered more due to the slidehammer effect mentioned
above.  A little packing in the voids & clear packing tape IMHO is all that was needed
to ensure intact delivery.   :yesnod: :angel: :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

hotrod98

Quote from: Old Moparz on June 07, 2008, 02:35:54 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on June 07, 2008, 02:18:24 PM
We'll see.

Welding might work, but what about people just sending you their car & you just add the parts to it?  :lol:

What you did sounds like it should be more than enough to get it there in good shape.  :2thumbs:

I've been working on attaching the nose to my car this week and I both love it and hate it at the same time. Does that make sense to anyone?

Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

I've been working on attaching the nose to my car this week and I both love it and hate it at the same time. Does that make sense to anyone?

I know exactly what you mean, Larry. I've been working on my nose, too. I've been attempting to get the nosecone, hood, Z-bars, fenders and front valance all to occupy the same general area at the same time. There's a lot of satisfying moments when something goes right, and  several times I've convinced myself that I'm going to drive to town, pick up a brand new Sawz-all and a case of steel cutting blades and reduce this mother-f^&*er to 12,000 one inch by one inch steel squares...

At the end of the day today, the nosecone is getting real close to fitting the way I want it, the valance is a good fit on the fenders, and the Z-bars are snuggling in nicely....

Still no new Sawz-all

Still no 12,000 little steel squares

We'll see what tomorrow brings....

hotrod98

I've seen noses that followed the contours of the fenders perfectly. This isn't one of them. It's an older Janek nose and the way it fits is the way that it's going to fit. I am not going to alter this nose. I really want to buy a steel nose and valance for this car eventually. Then only the parts that are supposed to be fiberglass will be fiberglass.
And, if I don't buy a real bird, that's the way I plan to build my bird clone as well.
As a side not...Janek's new noses are much better than the earlier ones and if given a template, he will make them so that they fit the fenders almost perfectly. I think he said that he's using aluminum tabs in the nose now as well. Didn't want to imply that someone's parts are not good.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 07, 2008, 08:15:27 PM
I've seen noses that followed the contours of the fenders perfectly. This isn't one of them. It's an older Janek nose and the way it fits is the way that it's going to fit. I am not going to alter this nose.

My Nosecone is one I got from Janak in '05 (Damn! has it been that long?)  The cone fits the driver's side fender and hood just fine, the pass fender was smacked pretty hard in the front and I thought I had it straight, but apparently there's a slight twist to it that I'm having to work out to get it to line up with the nose. It's getting close. I'm also modifying the nose where it meets the valance so I can mount the nose in closer to the body and go from Creative's 3/4 inch wide rubber seal down to one I'm making which is about 3/8's thick-should make that area of the car "flow" a little better :2thumbs:

hotrod98

I'll show a pic of how poorly this nose fits as soon as it's back on the car. Will be a few more days. I was expecting it to fit better. I'm hoping to be ready for the Branson show in August so I'm not going to do anything radical. Normally, I would be hacking away at this nose to make it fit perfectly. My left fender was hit pretty hard just in front of the wheel opening. That's what I've been working on today. I heated it and shrank it some and then used my shrinking hammer on it. Looks a lot better, but it's going to have more filler than I wanted. It's not easy finding straight, solid 70 fenders and hoods nowadays. A guy would almost have to find a guy wanting to turn his 70 into a General Lee and trade him front ends.

Stuart, this other nose that I have is an older one and we'll need to glass in the fiberglass buckets the way that daytonalo did his. It'll go together completely different but it will work just fine. That's the way I would have to assemble this Currie superbird nose as well. No tabs for the headlamp buckets.
Tip of the day...Buy the best stuff available. Less headaches.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 07, 2008, 11:43:29 PM
I'll show a pic of how poorly this nose fits as soon as it's back on the car. Will be a few more days. I was expecting it to fit better. I'm hoping to be ready for the Branson show in August so I'm not going to do anything radical. Normally, I would be hacking away at this nose to make it fit perfectly. My left fender was hit pretty hard just in front of the wheel opening. That's what I've been working on today. I heated it and shrank it some and then used my shrinking hammer on it. Looks a lot better, but it's going to have more filler than I wanted. It's not easy finding straight, solid 70 fenders and hoods nowadays. A guy would almost have to find a guy wanting to turn his 70 into a General Lee and trade him front ends.

Stuart, this other nose that I have is an older one and we'll need to glass in the fiberglass buckets the way that daytonalo did his. It'll go together completely different but it will work just fine. That's the way I would have to assemble this Currie superbird nose as well. No tabs for the headlamp buckets.
Tip of the day...Buy the best stuff available. Less headaches.

yeah i would love to have a steel nose  but just not in the budget  , just like the hemi pipe dream for the birdable !

hotrod98

I wish Gean Gregory would start making the Daytona noses. Seems like with all of the better clones being discussed, there might actually be a higher demand for the daytona version than the superbird version. I think he has been asked about making the daytona version. Not sure what his answer was. I'll ask him next time I see him. If I don't find a real bird soon, I plan to buy one of his steel bird noses for my bird clone.

Charles Addams

FJMG

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 08, 2008, 10:18:44 AM
I wish Gean Gregory would start making the Daytona noses.

I was fortunate enough to have bought one many years ago when he was fabricating them, he sure does very nice work. I think this was said on another thread but I'm sure many restored Daytonas have his cone on them.

BTW Curt recieved the braces and I'll be picking them up soon, thank you.

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 08, 2008, 10:18:44 AM
I wish Gean Gregory would start making the Daytona noses. Seems like with all of the better clones being discussed, there might actually be a higher demand for the daytona version than the superbird version. I think he has been asked about making the daytona version. Not sure what his answer was. I'll ask him next time I see him. If I don't find a real bird soon, I plan to buy one of his steel bird noses for my bird clone.
my buddy wayne's silver daytona has a gean gregory daytona nose on it , gean has made then in the past . wayne hit a deer in the 80's with his silver car. sadly that steel nose gean made doesnt fit the best !!!!

daytonalo

HI !!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_smile_big:

hotrod98

The phantom cloner makes an appearance.  ;D

Charles Addams

daytonalo

Do you guy's still love me ? I have completely lost interest in my Daytona , if I have it  this winter I will finish it , if I sell it . I'm buying an 09 Challenger. When I move into a new home i will park in my Game room and in 20 years it will pay for me to go to nursing home .

Larry

hotrod98

Of course we do.  :cheers:

I'm having a blast putting my car together. It's not gonna win any car shows, but should be a blast to drive. You really need to keep your car and put it together next winter.
I plan to just get mine together for now so that I can drive it and then refine it later on.

Charles Addams

Old Moparz

Quote from: daytonalo on June 08, 2008, 11:41:45 PM
Do you guy's still love me ? I have completely lost interest in my Daytona , if I have it  this winter I will finish it , if I sell it . I'm buying an 09 Challenger. When I move into a new home i will park in my Game room and in 20 years it will pay for me to go to nursing home .

Larry

Larry, I don't know if the word "love" should be used, since nobody seemed to like the gif image I had posted of the 2 tough guy, boxers kissing.   :lol:

Losing interest is common I bet, & it's happened to me too. Fortunately for me, I didn't just unload things & regret it like others sometimes do. You have the dirty work done on your car & the rest should be a lot simpler. Maybe you just need to take a break from it & go back to it later.   :shruggy: 
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparstuart

Quote from: daytonalo on June 08, 2008, 11:41:45 PM

Larry
go to nursing school instead

BigBlockSam

QuoteYou really need to keep your car and put it together next winter.

:yesnod:     you aint gonna sell it at this time . so hold on to it . and finish it . in the winter or at least get it driving and you'll sell it at your price .it's easy to lose intrest building these cars . cause it's hard work. i take breaks from my builds . then when i get back to it i'm more excited about it .

larry , i concider you my friend and i've seen you change your mind about things a ton of times . so don't sell it you'll regret it.    my computer crashed and  i'm on my wife's lap top. sucks big time!

i hope i didn't loose all my files. i backed them up about 2 months ago but theres a lot i've added since then.

rene

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Blown70

Larry, CHILL out do some boating, and get to work on the car in the FALL and rip up the roading next spring!!!