News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carter AVS adjustment help

Started by 440fan, May 26, 2008, 07:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

440fan

Just took out the 69 Dodge Coronet R/T yesterday with the stock 440 magnum engine, 4 speed and original Carter AVS carb.

I want to adjust the center idle mixture screw and once you screw the mixture screw in gently till bottom how many turns out is a good starting point? I have heard the Dodge manual states one turn and others say 2 turns. Does the AVS get richer as you turn the screw in? I think it does but not sure and I can not remember. Once, I figure this out I will use the vaccum gauge to fine tune. I have other cars and I just can not remember which way this carb adjusts.

I also have a problem getting the car to idle from a cold start. I usually have to stay on the gas a little and drive it before she idles on her own. Could the current idle mixture setting be causing this if it is lean?

It must be my old age and not the beer. LOL. Thanks guys. John

440fan

Kevin,

That is what I thought but was not sure. So many different carbs people say 2 turns out(Holley) but the Carter AVS is different that I think it gets richer as you turn in the screw. I know that the idle goes up the more I turn the screw in. I'll start at 1 turn out from bottom and go from there. Thanks. John

440fan

resq302

Are you talking about the left handed (reverse threaded) mixture screw that is about half way up the carb?  If so, I do not know much about them but it is addressed in the factory service manual in the carb/fuel section.

Here is also another great book to help you out with Carter carbs.   

Carter Carburetors Book
ThermoQuad , AFB , AVS , WCFB
Covers operation, troubleshooting, repair, assembly/disassembly of all currently used Carter carbs. Plus there's great info on older Carters, particularly those large 4-barrel models used on high-performance engines. "The first source book for rebuilding, tuning, and modifying the Carter family of carburetors." . By Dave Emanuel

http://www.carburetion.com/books.asp

hope this helps.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

440fan

Quote from: resq302 on May 28, 2008, 11:44:45 AM
Are you talking about the left handed (reverse threaded) mixture screw that is about half way up the carb?  If so, I do not know much about them but it is addressed in the factory service manual in the carb/fuel section.

Here is also another great book to help you out with Carter carbs.   

Carter Carburetors Book
ThermoQuad , AFB , AVS , WCFB
Covers operation, troubleshooting, repair, assembly/disassembly of all currently used Carter carbs. Plus there's great info on older Carters, particularly those large 4-barrel models used on high-performance engines. "The first source book for rebuilding, tuning, and modifying the Carter family of carburetors." . By Dave Emanuel

http://www.carburetion.com/books.asp

That's the one. Just wanted to make sure before I start turning screws. Thanks.

hope this helps.

440fan

The 440 Magnum with the Carter AVS seems to like it a little rich. The best setting is around 1 1/8 turns out from bottom and it runs really smooth from idle all the way through every shift. Thanks for your help. John

resq302

Glad to hear you got it fixed.  I am still tweaking mine a bit.  Still have a slight backfire through the carb when I go from cruise or idle to wide open throttle.  Trying a different sized metering rod next.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

440fan

Quote from: resq302 on May 30, 2008, 08:53:05 PM
Glad to hear you got it fixed.  I am still tweaking mine a bit.  Still have a slight backfire through the carb when I go from cruise or idle to wide open throttle.  Trying a different sized metering rod next.

Check the needle/seats and your float setting... The metering rod may help but sounds like an adjustment may make a difference. Carbs can really drive you crazy until you just get it right. I am very lucky to have 4 really nice survivor cars and they all need carb adjustments every once in a while which can drive me a little crazy. They all have different carbs and I am lucky that I can go onto a forum and get reminded which way to turn the screw. LOL. I usually like to check before I touch anything on my cars. With the values of these rides I try to be as careful as I can with any of my maintenance work. John

resq302

Needle and seats are new and the float setting was done exactly as the Fact. service manual calls for.
Brian