News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dyno Tune of my 512" Stroker is Complete!

Started by BLAM, June 06, 2008, 10:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLAM

I met up with Dwayne Porter in Burlington VT. at 10:30 on Sat. 5/31 and started the thrashing!  We finished at 00:30 on on Sun 6/1!  Lot of carb work and bull shitting about music and other hobbies.  We ran 14 full Dyno Pulls and lots of low load and medium load pulls at 3,000 RPM.  Since My build is for a street car with a 4spd and 3.54 gears, we were really focused on trying to get the Fuel / Air mixture correct across the RPM range.  This is a lot easier said than done for a 512" stroker with mild solid roller cam with a Holly 950 Carb, but I am very happy with the final configuration and performance.

Dwayne is a great guy who works hard to give you the best product possible.  I highly recommend him for any of your engine work!  Trust me Burlington VT. is not too far to drive for Dwayne's level of customer focus and service!

Dwayne would have like to seen some more cam duration, at least 10 degrees maybe 20 degrees because he likes the Hp bragging rights, but all the torque we saw with this cam is perfect for my heavy 3.54 geared car!

As a reminder, here are the particulars on the engine:

Mopar 440cid/512cid with standard port Indy EZ heads:

piston clearance     .0055"
connecting rod bearing clearance     .003"
main bearing clearance     .0035"
cylinder deck height     .000"
piston ring end-gap     top   .022"   second   .020"
rocker arms     .023" hot

custom roller camshaft:  Dan Costello (DRAM)
lobe lift     .429 I     .422 X
rocker ratio     1.5 I     1.5 X
valve lift     .644 I     .633 X
adv. duration     283 I     304 X
duration @ .050     251 I     262 X
lobe centerline     108 I     116 X
lash hot     .023 I     .023 X

custom Diamond piston specs:
bore = 4.3750
compression height = 1.485
effective volume = -20.3cc
valve depth = .230 I     .178 X
top ring = 1/16
2nd ring = 1/16
oil ring = 3/16
support rail = n/a
lock ring description = Spirolox
lock ring part #01-5105
offset pin = n/a
wrist pin diameter = .990
wrist pin length = 2.930
piston weight = 573g

cylinder bore:  4.375"
stroke:  4.250"
gasket thickness:  .040"
piston dish:  -20.3cc
combustion chamber:  76cc
compression ratio:  10.85:1

Engine On the Pump:

Dyno Sheet for the Final and Best Pull:  621 lb-ft of Torque at 4300 RPM and 590 Hp at 5600 RPM

RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

BLAM

A lot!  I have all the parts and prices listed, but just can't get myself to add them up!!!  Sometimes partial ignorance is bliss!  ;)

K1 industries crank, SCAT rods, Diamond Pistons, Isky Red Zone EZ Roll lifters, Smith Brother Push Rods, Indy EZ Heads (mildly worked) with big springs and locks, Harland Sharp Rockers, Holly Ultra HP Carb and SD Intake, BHJ Balancer, Aluminum caps, ARP bolts throughout, Miloden Pan, windage tray, and pickup, etc.  Good parts add up fast!  Biggest splurge were the Isky Lifters, but they are good insurance with a solid roller IMO.
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

mopowers

Did you use a girdle or anything on the bottom end?  What's you oiling system?

Sounds like a great combo and very similar to the one I'm getting ready to build.

BLAM

No girdle, I thought about it but opted not to go with it.  Reason being is I wanted to use my stock hood, so air cleaner to hood Clearance is tight.  The girdle thickness was going to cause my oil pan to rub the center link unless I shimmed the motor mounts up and I had no hood Clarence for that, so no go on the girdle.  Oiling system is Melling HV Pump with Miloden Pan with windage tray and 1/2" pickup and all appropriate oiling mods to the block.  I was getting about 78 psi on the dyno across the RPM range with 20/50 oil.

Blakcharger440

All I can say is just wow!!! That is a nice combo!

firefighter3931

Very Nice Andy  :2thumbs:.....that bullit should put a hurtin on your back tires.  :icon_smile_big:

I bet you had a fantastic time at Dwayne's shop & dyno....you won't find better !  ;)

So when are we gonna see some burnout pics  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BLAM

Hopefully next year Ron, perhaps in time for the 2009 spring MusclePalooza at LVD.  I just finished welding in torque boxes after I saw my dyno numbers!  ;)

SeattleCharger

:popcrn:    glad to see a Charger going to be on the streets that can kick some serious you know what, with a four speed, jeez, can't imagine what that would be like to drive,   I'm gonna go buy a lotto ticket today,  :icon_smile_big:   

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Runner

great results,  looks like a torque monster for sure. i would be a blast to spend a day with dwayne turning on your motor.      one question though, why didint you paint the motor?

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

SeattleCharger

the block almost looks like its chrome colored paint or silver paint

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

BLAM

Engine was paint free at the dyno.  Getting it's 68 turquoise soon!

firefighter3931

Quote from: BLAM on June 10, 2008, 09:48:51 AM
  I just finished welding in torque boxes after I saw my dyno numbers!  ;)

:lol: Ya, no doubt....that badboy will twist your car up in no time flat !

Ron

Ps. Off to the Proven Engine Combo forum for permenant archive.  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

Great build.  This gives me IRON.....   ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

six-tee-nine

What headers do you use?

And what size of bellhousing do you use (10.5 or 11")
I cannot seem to find a set that uses 2" primary tubes and works with a 11" bellhousing....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

BLAM

I am using TTI 2" Primary Tube Headers with a Lakewood Scatter Shield Housing.

You will need to notch the passenger side of the bellhousing by about .5".  TTI intallation instructions have specific information on where and how to notch the bellhousing.  Very easy and it works great.

six-tee-nine

Thanks for the info

Will add a set ot TTI's to my list then for my 512 :2thumbs:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

73TXRallye440

BLAM- do you have Dwayne Porter's contact info?

BLAM

Porter Racing Heads
57 Commerce Avenue
South Burlington,  VT.  05403
(802) 951-1955
porterheads@gmavt.net