News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

water leak thru header bolt?

Started by onebadmopar, June 07, 2008, 03:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadmopar

hi guys running my car today i noticed a leak before i started it up i thought it to be the head bolt but looking closer it looks as tho the water is leaking out of the 1st bolt that holds the headers on is this possible?  any suggestions as to what type of selaer to use on it i want something plyable in case i have to remove the header at some point

BrianShaughnessy

Stock iron heads need sealant on the bolts...  they're wet holes.    I always use Ultra Copper on stuff like that.

Aluminum heads like E-brocks / Indy / etc. have dry exhaust holes and don't require sealant... although anti-seize is a good idea.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

onebadmopar

put some sealer on the bolt seemed to work thanks

nitrometal

I had this problem today.  I was in the process of pulling the motor out and was removing the headers.  Everything was going fine until I got to the next to the last bolt on the #8 cylinder and all of a sudden water came gushing out the bolt hole like I opened the petcock on the radiator!

I searched for a similar problem here and found this thread so now I know why it did that.

My question is...why did it wait until the last hole?  Maybe all the other ones were gooped up watertight?

Phil
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

375instroke

Got a gusher two days ago fixing an exhaust leak too.  Studs stuck to nuts and pulled out.  At least they didn't break off in the head.

c00nhunterjoe

none of mine have ever leaked and i havnt put sealant on them, they really pour out when i pull the headers though. and i have one broken bolt on the left head, been like that for years now. really annoying to look at but going to be a pita to fix

69bronzeT5

We ran into the same problem on my Duster with the headers. We put some sealer and it stopped leaking :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic