News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Guys with tranny knowledge help me help my brother please!

Started by toupee, June 09, 2008, 01:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toupee

Ok all, not really sure where I should post this exactly so it's going here.
My brother told me that his Chrysler Pacifica broke down on him and his family at the local grocery store. Here's what it did. 
He said he came out, started the.... thing (don't know exactly what you would call a pacifica... car... suv...van.....sut? lol)  Anyways, when he put it in gear and gave it gas he says it sounded like when you tie popcans to the back of your car and drive down the road.  According to him even when he puts it in park it will roll forward since it is parked on a grade.  He said the lever moves through all the gears freely and the sound is really only noticeable when he gives it gas.  It's an automatic (duh!)  :lol:
Any ideas on what the problem might be?

GreenMachine

My guess would be that the linkage came apart somewhere. However I'm not very knowledgeable with transmissions.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

375instroke

Did he try to stop the car by putting it in park?  By the shifter moving freely, do you mean the shifter moves, but won't go into gear?

Todd Wilson

If its front wheel drive I wonder if it has something to do with the front wheel drive axle more then the transmission portion of the drive train.

Todd