News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Body In White" fender tag

Started by craigandlynda, June 23, 2008, 04:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigandlynda

i was cleaning out an old toolbox and found something i found along time ago...it is a steel fender tag,, all it says is "BODY IN WHITE"  and "SPECIAL ORDER"...any ideas about its origin? it is definately a mopar fender tag...is it of any use or interest?

71charger_fan

Chrysler used to sell the uni-body shells as bodies-in-white. I once had a Chrysler NASCAR parts catalog from the early seventies when Petty Enterprises was the distributor. No need for such a thing any more since I don't believe NASCAR uses any actual factory sheetmetal anymore. I miss the old days before it became professional wrestling on wheels.

dodgecharger-fan

Body in white designated the car as a factory-built race car, didn't it?

The idea being that the race team that ordered it would be painting it up with their own colours.

Ghoste

Factory built race car isn't exactly correct but you are next door.  It's correct that it was a body shell sold with no other parts on it.  Assembled collection of sheet metal and that's it.  As far as modifications for racing the factory made none of those, it was up to the racer to finish suspension and rallcage or bracing or any body deviation from stock to his needs.  Also, I believe the body in white could be purchased by anyone so it wouldn't necessarily be going to a racer.  Although I have no idea why anyone else would want one.

craigandlynda

so.....what should i do with this tag? is this something that mightbe of interest to anybody?

Ghoste

I'm sure it's of interest to a lot of people.  Have you tried e-bay?

69_500

If your just going to pitch it, pitch it my way.  :cheers:

You should find a buyer on ebay for it for sure. It could possibly be someone going by the name of dbliebrandt on there.

craigandlynda

thanx guys...i will ebay it, i guess it would be a neat addition for someone...it'll be on in about a week...no reserve, lets see what happens

JimShine

Oh goodie. I will be on the edge of my seat.

4speed

4speed

Quote from: 4speed on June 28, 2008, 09:34:09 PM
i can't wait to bid on it :popcrn: :2thumbs:
hey when are you going to put the fender tag on ebay i collect fender tags

craigandlynda

tag is now on ebay...item number xxxxxxxxxx.

i want this to go to a sincere mopar enthusiast....someone who will keep and care for it, not let it get lost.has anybody else ver seen one of these?

EDIT: I don't want this to be moved to the  for sale section because there is some good info in here.....do a search on egag if you really want it....
Chris

Ghoste

As far as it going to a true enthusiast, it has just as good a chance of going to someone who only wants to use it to make some sort of fake car.  (just me being the cynic)

69CoronetRT

Quote from: craigandlynda on August 04, 2008, 09:17:28 PM
tag is now on ebay...item number xxxxxxxxxxx.

i want this to go to a sincere mopar enthusiast....someone who will keep and care for it, not let it get lost.has anybody else ver seen one of these?

Tags like that were also used on cop cars and other specialty order cars. Doubtful that its from a factory race car but  :shruggy:
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Ghoste

That is very interesting, I never knew that either.

craigandlynda

wow, interesting...any way to tell which it came from?? :scratchchin:

69CoronetRT

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Doug, what car was that last set from?  what was the 999 color?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on August 05, 2008, 07:05:53 PM
Doug, what car was that last set from?  what was the 999 color?

It's a cop car (DK41) that's why it got the 'body in white' and 'special paint special mask' designation. As 999 could be any color, it could be a special color for a state trooper or something like that.
Did you also notice it's coded V02?
You'll find a lot of fleet cars with 999 or other special paint colors. Here's another two color cop car (WK41) with paint code 362.