News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Omaha 500?

Started by 4speed, June 26, 2008, 01:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4speed

Does anybody know where this Omaha orange 500 is?  :shruggy:

moparstuart

caption reads fiberglass rear plug ( they were clueless) 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Beep Beep Dave

What makes you think its Omaha Orange?
Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Troy

The article says Vitamin C... :rofl:

Unless the color quality is horrible, that's definitely not a red car. Since orange wasn't a standard color (or was it available for 500s?) I'm assuming that it's coded as 999 which - I've read - was commonly called "Omaha Orange". I'm no expert of course but that's the way I understand it.

Could it be this?
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23048.msg250997.html#msg250997

More info:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8736.msg452125.html#msg452125

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Aero426

Gene can answer this... but wasn't Vitamin C made available in Spring of 1969 on Plymouths, to circumvent the special order color.    I believe there is a bulletin as such, and that one had not been uncovered for Dodge at this point.    Can't tell from the pics, but if there is no metallic, it's Omaha Orange.    Either way, if I am correct on the date of that bulletin,  it's too late for Vit C to be on a 500. 

moparstuart

If that is the factory paint on that car and not a repaint or bad picture it would have to be a 99 99 paint omaha orange.   
  On that note a 69 roadrunner 99 99 paint code car just sold off  craigs list here locally. Car is faded red now but was the 99 99 green  383 car. Guy is trying to flip it for 10k already . 

Troy

To answer the original question, if that is *the* orange Hemi 500 then some people here do know where it is. Uh, I'm not one of them.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hemigeno

IIRC, I think Danny has the tag info for that particular C500 - and it is a bona fide 99 99 paint code.

K2 (Vitamin C for Plymouth) started later in the 1969 model year, and it was supposedly ONLY available on Plymouths for the rest of that model year.  It was a different story for 1970 with both car lines having EK2, which was called "Go Mango" on Dodges. 

It has been a couple of weeks, but I remember going through each of the '69 Sales Code changes and transmittals looking for something similar.  This particular set of documents outlines every change made to the Sales Codes, and a related stack of transmittals shows when that change was sent out to the assembly plants plus which cars/plants the changes affected.  I found none for the '69 model year that ever mention that color being available for the Dodge product line for '69.  This set of transmittals is complete AFAIK, so I would say it is a safe bet that they weren't "supposed" to build any K2 '69 Dodges.  Plymouth, yes - Dodge, no.  That, coupled with the fact that K2 wasn't introduced for Plymouth until March of '69, almost guarantees that this C500 is the custom/fleet orange color that has been dubbed Omaha Orange.

It'd be hard to say just from a picture what the color actually is, and the car may have been repainted which would mean all bets were off anyway.  99 Omaha Orange and K2 are very close, so most camera equipment isn't going to be able to capture the distinctions - and the magazine printing equipment will only make things harder to distinguish.

Awesome and very rare car, no doubt...

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on June 26, 2008, 03:01:45 PM
IIRC, I think Danny has the tag info for that particular C500 - and it is a bona fide 99 99 paint code.

K2 (Vitamin C for Plymouth) started later in the 1969 model year, and it was supposedly ONLY available on Plymouths for the rest of that model year.  It was a different story for 1970 with both car lines having EK2, which was called "Go Mango" on Dodges. 

It has been a couple of weeks, but I remember going through each of the '69 Sales Code changes and transmittals looking for something similar.  This particular set of documents outlines every change made to the Sales Codes, and a related stack of transmittals shows when that change was sent out to the assembly plants plus which cars/plants the changes affected.  I found none for the '69 model year that ever mention that color being available for the Dodge product line for '69.  This set of transmittals is complete AFAIK, so I would say it is a safe bet that they weren't "supposed" to build any K2 '69 Dodges.  Plymouth, yes - Dodge, no.  That, coupled with the fact that K2 wasn't introduced for Plymouth until March of '69, almost guarantees that this C500 is the custom/fleet orange color that has been dubbed Omaha Orange.

It'd be hard to say just from a picture what the color actually is, and the car may have been repainted which would mean all bets were off anyway.  99 Omaha Orange and K2 are very close, so most camera equipment isn't going to be able to capture the distinctions - and the magazine printing equipment will only make things harder to distinguish.

Awesome and very rare car, no doubt...
yeah if it truely is 99 99 orange would look great sitting next to the one daytona that color .

hemigeno

Quote from: moparstuart on June 26, 2008, 03:25:21 PM
yeah if it truely is 99 99 orange would look great sitting next to the one daytona that color .

There are at least two 99 99 Daytonas that I know of, and it's at least possible that there are more.

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on June 26, 2008, 03:30:26 PM

There are at least two 99 99 Daytonas that I know of, and it's at least possible that there are more.
  are they all omaha orange ?     I only knew of the one that color  ?     

hemigeno

Quote from: moparstuart on June 26, 2008, 03:32:50 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on June 26, 2008, 03:30:26 PM

are they all omaha orange ?     I only knew of the one that color  ?     

Yes, both of the ones I know of were originally the Omaha orange color.

4speed

tim wellborns daytona

nascarxx29

Tharts the 500 of Glen W I got that copy of muscle car review
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

4speed

are they any new pics of the car,is it restored?

pettybird

OK so our "Project Six Pack" A12 car is coded "97 97" and is rallye green.  what's with that?  My friend has a 99 code rallye green road runner droptop... 

69CoronetRT

Quote from: pettybird on June 26, 2008, 10:27:14 PM
OK so our "Project Six Pack" A12 car is coded "97 97" and is rallye green.  what's with that?  My friend has a 99 code rallye green road runner droptop... 

99, 97 and 97E were all used to designate Rallye Green depending on the plant and time of year.
Lynch Road was using 97 by the time the A12s were built. ST. Louis, where the convertible was built, used all three codes. The actual code used varies by SPD.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

69_500

That is a legit 99 99 paint code HEMI 500. I know that after that article was written that the car has changed hands at least 3 times that I know of.

moparstuart

So are the 500 or the 2 daytona promotional/exec cars? Special nascar connected ?  In the case of the daytona's sequel vin's ?  Any reason why they had special paint ordered .

69_500

As far as the Daytona's are concerned I think it just had to do with them both being ordered by the same dealership. I am pretty sure they both sold at the same dealership. I can't find anything that says that the 500 was an exec car or anything like that either. I'll see if I can get ahold of one of the previous owners here in the next couple of days.

4speed

Quote from: 69_500 on June 27, 2008, 08:03:39 PM
As far as the Daytona's are concerned I think it just had to do with them both being ordered by the same dealership. I am pretty sure they both sold at the same dealership. I can't find anything that says that the 500 was an exec car or anything like that either. I'll see if I can get ahold of one of the previous owners here in the next couple of days.

thanks ,do you know if there are any recent pics of the car and has it ben restored,thanks harold

69_500

Not sure if it has been restored since the gentleman I first heard of the car through had it. Although I know that the price of the car has jumped quite a bit each time its changed hands.

pettybird

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on June 26, 2008, 11:04:05 PM

99, 97 and 97E were all used to designate Rallye Green depending on the plant and time of year.
Lynch Road was using 97 by the time the A12s were built. ST. Louis, where the convertible was built, used all three codes. The actual code used varies by SPD.

OK that's why our butterscotch 440+6 car is 96 96 then...

69CoronetRT

Quote from: pettybird on June 28, 2008, 12:49:43 AM
Quote from: 69CoronetRT on June 26, 2008, 11:04:05 PM

OK that's why our butterscotch 440+6 car is 96 96 then...

Yes. LR used 96 on A12 cars painted Bahamma Yellow/Butterscotch
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

4speed

Quote from: 69_500 on June 27, 2008, 09:07:07 PM
Not sure if it has been restored since the gentleman I first heard of the car through had it. Although I know that the price of the car has jumped quite a bit each time its changed hands.
THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE 500 IF ANYBODY HAS A PIC PLEASE POST.

4speed

Quote from: blake68rt on July 01, 2008, 10:54:52 PM
WOW :moon:
matthew is that you pulling your pants down again :smilielol: :smilielol: