News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would you strip original paint?

Started by 375instroke, July 01, 2008, 09:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

I've always thought the original primer and paint was best.  Would you jitterbug or DA the original finish down to the original primer, or down to bare metal?  Some spots have rust, like the top of the quarter below the quarter window, and a repair where it looks like a tire separated and they fogged in that area.

suntech

Easy choice!! Strip to bare metal!! Remember the stuff that is on there is 40 years old!! Todays epoxy primer is MUCH better :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: suntech on July 01, 2008, 11:49:38 AM
Easy choice!! Strip to bare metal!! Remember the stuff that is on there is 40 years old!! Todays epoxy primer is MUCH better :2thumbs:

:iagree: Absolutely!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Mike DC

These cars didn't rust because they're made of bad metal, they rusted because they were made of good metal and cheaply coated. 

If they were both originally applied on exactly the same metal & conditions, modern spray-can enamel from Wal-Mart is probably better than the best factory coatings from the 1960s.

JimShine

US factories don't use the best finishes on modern production cars either. Most look like shit within 10 years. However, nothing compares to the mid 80's to mid 90's where the cleacoats would flake off after a year.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: 1hot68 on July 01, 2008, 11:58:27 AM
Quote from: suntech on July 01, 2008, 11:49:38 AM

:iagree: Absolutely!!

X2!
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

Original paint is only a big deal on a survivor and if you have rust, it's no survivor.  Get that stuff off and make way for the new.

BlueSS454

I'd strip the car down to nothing and have it media blasted.  Only way to go  :2thumbs:
Now if you have a car that is a survivor and in really nice shape, it has more historical value left alone.
Tom Rightler

69*F5*SE

375instroke

The car has that one repair, so it's not all original paint.  The paint is getting thin in some of the high body lines from washing and waxing.  The quality of the paint is great, though.  It's 40 years old and still shines and isn't peeling like a '95 Neon.  All the rust I've seen was from the inside out, like the inside quarters.  How do you people get to bare metal down in the bottom of the quarters and inside the frame rails, and how do you primer in there?  What about inside the trunk lid between the inner frame and outer skin?