News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Parts list and their suppliers?

Started by WingCharger, July 03, 2008, 08:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WingCharger

Here is my list of the parts needed for a daytona clone, all thanks to hotrod98! Thanks again man. Anyway, here is what he said is required for a Daytona clone, and this is also where I plan to buy it from. Tell me what you think! If I have UNSURE after something, that means i dont know where I could find them. Could you guys help? Right now, I am unsure if the Stinger parts, and the Dayclona parts combined on the nose will work. Also, does the front spoiler have to be made by the same place as the valance?

Nose--Dayclona
Headlamp Assemblies--Stinger Fiberglass
Nose to fender seals--Dayclona
Nose to hood seal--Dayclona
Nose seal kit--Dayclona
Z-braces, steel--Dayclona
Turn signals--UNSURE
Nose brace kit--Hotrod98
70 Fenders and hood--Using 70 Charger hopefully
Valance--Stinger
Fender scoops--Dayclona
Grille--Dayclona
Grille frame--Dayclona
Fender grille under scoops--UNSURE
A-pillar trims, Stainless Steel--Daytlona
Front spoiler--Dayclona
Wing, alum--Dane
wing washers--Daytlona
Wing braces--hotrod98
Trunk closeout panel--hotrod98
Trunk hinges--Daytlona
Plug--Vega
Latch Tray--Dayclona
Daytona moldings, interior--Paddock
Daytona headliner--Paddock
Daytona package tray--Paddock
Daytona jack--Tonys Parts
Daytona Jack Hold Down--Dayclona

Updated using suggestions!

moparstuart

get your wing from dane ( daytona guy   dc.com member)  extruded aluminum NICE
  get your wing washers, trunk hinges , and a pillar chromes  from ( daytonola  dc.com member )
   use a vega hatch for your rear plug , then you get the glass and moldings ( hard and expensive to find)  looks almost exact when done.

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

WingCharger

Quote from: moparstuart on July 03, 2008, 08:12:41 AM
  get your wing from dane ( daytona guy   dc.com member)  extruded aluminum NICE
  get your wing washers, trunk hinges , and a pillar chromes  from ( daytonola  dc.com member )
   use a vega hatch for your rear plug , then you get the glass and moldings ( hard and expensive to find)  looks almost exact when done.

Where I live, finding a Chevy Vega with a unrusted rear hatch is like winning the lottery and finding a barn daytona on the same day. EVERYTHING HERE IS RUSTED! And if one even was around here, it would have been scrapped long by now.

moparstuart

Thats what they said here but they are still out there you just have to keep looking !  Look south and pay the shipping !
Even if you have to pay $500.00 for one shipped your way better off the $2000- $4000 on a plug, glass, and moldings !
  If you dont make your own moldings , nice originals can go for $4000.00 alone. I think B E & A body was talking about repoping them ?

A383Wing

I feel left out...

Bryan  (I have the aftermarket headlight vacuum switch..a few people here have bought them....)

moparstuart

Quote from: A383Wing on July 03, 2008, 09:07:39 AM
I feel left out...

Bryan  (I have the aftermarket headlight vacuum switch..a few people here have bought them....)

tell us the benefits of your aftermarket switch ?

oldcarnut

Sometimes it helps to ask some friends to keep an eye out for stuff.  Got this from a friend I arbitrarily mentioned it to and it just happened he had a Vega he was about to haul off for scrap.  I ended up finding a RR first before a Charger to build a wing clone but at least I have one if something else comes along.  Bought a Coronet hood and fenders the same way.  Ya never know what might be laying around someones house so check around.  :icon_smile_big:

WingCharger

I was thinking of using a electric actuator. The stinger light setup is a lot simplier than the normal Daytona one. http://stingerfiberglass.com/products/daytona/headlights/index.shtml

The only thing is whether or not it will fit into a Dayclona nose. They are both fiberglass, so I dont know.

Also, what is a trunk close out panel? Is it like a extended deck filler between the plug and trunk?

hotrod98

The list needs to be tweaked a little.

Someone on here can find you a vega plug. Much cheaper route for sure.

I think that I remember suggesting Dane for the wing. In fact, if Dane builds more of those wings, I want one.

Bryan, I always forget about the switch. I don't see anything wrong with you mentioning the switch availability in a new post every once in a while. We get a lot of new guys looking in on the board that never join. They're out there though. I talk to a lot of them by phone. We're reaching more people than we realize.

I'm seriously thinking about building another daytona clone. A basic daytona without the plug, possibly to resell later. When done correctly, that plug is a pain to install. Making the headliner retainers and installing them took a full day, maybe more. From start to finish, I'll bet that I have five days in the plug alone. Thought that I could do it in three. No way.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

anyone have a good fiberglass daytona wing for sale ?  Have a buddy who wants one, but he is cheap.  Wants to spend like $600.00 for one !   

BigBlockSam

this is the wing i bought from Dane 

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

WingCharger

How much does a Dane wing run? I have no body experience, so it would have to be finished.

hotrod98

Quote from: moparstuart on July 03, 2008, 10:00:46 AM
  anyone have a good fiberglass daytona wing for sale ?  Have a buddy who wants one, but he is cheap.  Wants to spend like $600.00 for one !   

I never thought about it but you don't see too many used wings really. I think Daytonalo had one for sale recently. I might be wrong.
I drove up to Howie's in Claremore, OK a few weeks ago and saw his Dane wing for the first time. Very nice. Looks like an original.
I still like my Janek wing. It's just that I would rather have an aluminum one for this car. I'l use the Janek wing on the other clone later.

Charles Addams

GeneralLeeTESH

A wing on ANY 68-70 Charger looks AWESOME !
The TESH

hotrod98

Here's a pic of a deck lid showing how I altered it and then installed the closeout panel. The steel version sells for around $300 and the fiberglass version sells for around $75. Labor is extra.

The last price that I heard for Dane's new wings was $1500 plus shipping.

I wouldn't worry about installing that headlamp assembly in any nose. They will all have to be altered slightly to make it fit.

If you actually build this car it would be some kind of record. We would have to call you "Daytona Young Gun". Or, we could call you Grasshopper. You decide.  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

hotrod98

I'm slipping a pic of my clone into other guys threads every once in a while to show my progress.  :coolgleamA:
The car should be ready to paint this weekend.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 03, 2008, 04:07:31 PM
I'm slipping a pic of my clone into other guys threads every once in a while to show my progress.  :coolgleamA:
The car should be ready to paint this weekend.
you tease you   

hotrod98

You gotta start somewhere. Just stay focused and you'll have that car before you know it.
My son's first car was a 70 Challenger 340.
Right now, the best deals on a musclecar are the Trans Ams. Too bad you live so far away. I would make you a heck of a deal on an 80 T/A.  I have too many T/A's right now.
I'm slowly whittling my collection down to two cudas and two wingcars. Not enough time to take care of them all.

Charles Addams

Howie

I personally don`t kike the stinger set up. It makes it look like you have a ford gt 40 coming at you. I will stay with the old school

WingCharger

Quote from: Howie on July 05, 2008, 05:12:56 AM
I personally don`t kike the stinger set up. It makes it look like you have a ford gt 40 coming at you. I will stay with the old school

It is good for somebody who doesnt want to complex, and EXPENSIVE, normal setup. Since nobody makes some parts for the normal setup, it would get complex real fast. I plan on building the clone in stages. Wing first, because I like the look of Charger with just a wing almost as much as a full Daytona. Then the nose. Then specialty parts (A pillar trim, jack, etc.) Finally, the plug and trunk conversion. This wil be good so I can do just what I afford at one time. I dont have to save up a giant amount of money at one time.