News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No Seam Daytona Nose/Valance?

Started by WingCharger, July 08, 2008, 10:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WingCharger

What would be the best way to get the custom look of no seams between the nose and the valance, like this:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,11127.msg130405.html#msg130405

I like the look, and it would solve the hassle of finding seals. I just dont know how I would do it. Maybe body filler? If so, what kind/brand? Would the nose have to be changed in any way?

Here is a picture of "watermelon" that has no seams. Except, on my Daytona, the valance seams would be smoothed out also.

Note: This IS NOT a discussion on whether the car exists. DO NOT discuss it.

hotrod98

Steel nose welded to steel fenders or fiberglass nose attached to fiberglass fenders.  Either way, you'll probably wish you had never done it. I've seen guys glue fiberglass noses to steel fenders and they will always crack eventually. Steel and fiberglass expand at two different rates.
Mike G. built that car. We'll just ask him his opinion.
The seals aren't that hard to find. Just seems that way.
Now, '70 Fury turn signals for my superbird clone...that's a different story. Can't find them anywhere.  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Blown70

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 08, 2008, 10:50:50 AM

Now, '70 Fury turn signals for my superbird clone...that's a different story. Can't find them anywhere.  ;D

Ummm yea, could have found a bunch of those about a year ago for you, think all the cars are now being crushed...... :RantExplode:

hotrod98

Missed a set on e-bay. Forgot to watch it. Oops.

Charles Addams

WingCharger

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 08, 2008, 10:50:50 AM
Steel nose welded to steel fenders or fiberglass nose attached to fiberglass fenders.  Either way, you'll probably wish you had never done it. I've seen guys glue fiberglass noses to steel fenders and they will always crack eventually. Steel and fiberglass expand at two different rates.
Mike G. built that car. We'll just ask him his opinion.
The seals aren't that hard to find. Just seems that way.

Do any companies make fiberglass 1970 Charger Fenders?

Im probably going to build the Daytona out of a 1970 Charger, I think 1970 Chargers look awesome!

WingCharger

Quote from: Blown70 on July 08, 2008, 04:58:41 PM
http://www.wsracingfiberglass.com/

Sweet! That company is pretty close to me too.

How would you attach fiberglass together, smooth like that?

Also, do any companies make fiberglass Daytona valances?

Blown70

Quote from: WingCharger on July 08, 2008, 05:20:23 PM
Quote from: Blown70 on July 08, 2008, 04:58:41 PM
http://www.wsracingfiberglass.com/

Sweet! That company is pretty close to me too.

How would you attach fiberglass together, smooth like that?

Also, do any companies make fiberglass Daytona valances?

ohh some of the body shop guys will better help you with those ?

I have the 70 Fiberglass front bumper, I thought it was good for what it was.  and my needs.

Also, you may want to consider stuts or support for the fiberglass fenders they sometimes do sag over time,  just FYI

WingCharger

Would it be better for fiberglass or steel nose? I mean, if it is steel, I can smooth the valance out also. But with fiberglass, it is repairable, but I cant smooth out the valance unless I find a fiberglass one.

I am not sure.  :scratchchin:

Can you tell if Janeks valance is steel or fiberglass?
http://www.wingedwarriorbodyparts.com/

Oh yea, Stingers valance is Fiberglass!!! :2thumbs: :punkrocka: :woohoo:

Now, will stinger lights and valance work with dayclona nose, spoiler, z-bar, and other nose parts, and will all of that work with the fiberglass fenders?? :think:

BigBlockSam

stinger also makes fiberglass fenders
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

WingCharger

WingCharger

I just realized something. Wont moving the nose closer to the fenders to get them close enough to patch, interfere with the Z-Bar, latch try, etc.??? Would there be a way to use stock Dayclona Z-Bars and latch trays, and nose, and keep the nose the stock distance away, but still get a smooth look? Maybe a piece of fiberglass to fill the gap between the nose and fiberglass fenders?

hotrod98

I think you're taking a fairly easy build and making it more difficult.
Never been a big fan of one piece front ends myself. If you ever had to remove it, you would have to cut it apart.
Your plan will change on a regular basis. It's just part of the overall process of building something like this.
Trust me, I know a guy that went through the same thing.  ::)

Charles Addams