News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Layson's Restoration Busted at Carlisle by Police!!

Started by TUFCAT, July 12, 2008, 04:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

max

something i don't understand is why would Layson travel from Washington state to Carlisle?

they would never make enough money vending to justifiy the trip, so i have to wonder if there is more to this story then just a license issue.   

Todd Wilson

Quote from: max on July 13, 2008, 11:17:50 PM
something i don't understand is why would Layson travel from Washington state to Carlisle?

they would never make enough money vending to justifiy the trip, so i have to wonder if there is more to this story then just a license issue.   

Maybe they were selling dope!

Todd

max

Quote from: Todd Wilson on July 13, 2008, 11:29:51 PM

Maybe they were selling dope!

Todd

you must have been reading my mind on that one. :scratchchin:

JimShine

71ChallengeHer

69charger2002

wow. this post was a shocker.. will be very interesting to see what shakes out
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Manfred318

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

Shakey

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on July 13, 2008, 06:39:24 PM
Quote from: Chris G. on July 13, 2008, 06:23:44 PM
I'm not posting pics I have, but it was a strange scene for a Mopar event. Feds and Cops with masks and guns out was pretty cool though. Laysons was shut down and gutted pretty quick. The employees couldn't touch a thing and the feds were documenting everything and seizing cash and merchandise.

I really feel bad for anyone who left money for orders with them, or have orders they made online. It may take months/years to get that back.
It was almost as good as the Spring Carlisle. I forget the year. But it snowed and the cops shot and killed a guy that was there. The guy robbed and beat 2 old people really bad.

QuoteBut it snowed and the cops shot and killed a guy that was there.

Sounds like a blast - wish I coulda been there to see that! 

Shakey

Quote from: Chris G. on July 13, 2008, 06:23:44 PM
I'm not posting pics I have, but it was a strange scene for a Mopar event. Feds and Cops with masks and guns out was pretty cool though. Laysons was shut down and gutted pretty quick. The employees couldn't touch a thing and the feds were documenting everything and seizing cash and merchandise.

I really feel bad for anyone who left money for orders with them, or have orders they made online. It may take months/years to get that back.

Why aren't you going to post any of the pics you have?

In the ones that I have seen here, I also had to wonder about the police officer with the balaclava on.   :shruggy:

Dodge Don

I haven't dealt with Laysons in quite awhile but anytime I did it was a good experience. They had a pair of inside door panel "Charger" emblems on backorder for me for almost 2 years waiting for the manufacturer to settle a licensing issue with Mopar. They updated me every few months and I eventually got them....I was pretty impressed that they tracked this small part for 2 years and saw that I got them in the end. That was a few years ago. They did tell me that there were issues with Mopar licensing saying that Mopar wanted all the manufacturers of parts bearing any of their trademarks to license it and Mopar was dictating the retail price at a higher price than the manufacturer wanted to sell at.

Interested to see what the final real story here is.

Why are the cops wearing masks at a car show???? Seems like total overkill unless Laysons had a truck full of drugs, guns or human slaves.

dodgecharger-fan

Best guess on the "ninja" is that he's an undercover protecting his identity so as to remain an effective undercover....

konigcharger

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on July 14, 2008, 08:14:59 AM
Best guess on the "ninja" is that he's an undercover protecting his identity so as to remain an effective undercover....

:iagree:  :yesnod:

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

Old Moparz

I can think of 2 reasons.......

1)  Advertising & showing people they exist.

2)  Improve on their customer relations.

Both reasons went in the dumpster this past weekend.  :lol:

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

A383Wing

Found this:

This is what I found online this morning   
this is from the local newspaper near carlisle
http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2008/07/14/news/local/doc487b406235073204267148.txt

Local
North Middleton Township
North Middleton retailer accused of selling counterfeit parts

By staff reports, July 14, 2008

Last updated: Monday, July 14, 2008 8:03 AM EDT

David Layson was arrested on charges of running a corrupt organization, trademark counterfeiting and theft by deception after a search warrant was served at Layson's Restorations Saturday during the Carlisle All-Chrysler Nationals, according to North Middleton Township police.

Police said they received complaints from Chrysler Corporation that the company was selling counterfeit Chrysler auto parts.

Layson, 42, is of Lakewood, Washington, police said, and was taken to Cumberland County Prison awaiting arraignment.

71ChallengeHer

AKcharger

Yup, I swiped this from the "forabodiesonly.com" All rights reserved

moparstuart

I know of one vender that goes to alot of these show and sells alot mail order all year .  They told me they make more at carlisle with pre orders deliverd and selling parts there then all the rest of the year. Including the nationals .  So yes it would be worth it for layson's to travel from washington state.  They come to saint louis for monster mopar every year also .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Dodge Don

Interesting read. I'm not defending Laysons and I do understand the need for trademark laws, however I find it disturbing that Chrysler says they are making counterfeit parts when Chrysler itself does not make these same parts anymore.

Just my opinion however I believe Chrysler turned their backs on classic Mopar fans decades ago and left us with nothing. The old Mopars become valuable and they decide to cash in on us by forcing licensing of parts they themselves destroyed years ago and do not make today.

I know they, as an example, own the "Charger" name, however who cares if a company creates emblems specifically for cars built 40 years ago.....emblems that Chrysler itself no longer makes...I don't see this having any material impact on their current brand or car offerings. This is, again in my opinion, purely Chrysler cashing in on our hobby. If you recall when they launched the new Charger they dismissed classic Charger fans who responded negatively as irrelevant and living in the past. Irrelevant but worthy of having our "living in the past" hobby tapped for $$. They have the legal right, but I think the motives are pure greed.

:Twocents:

Dodge Don

And I might add, they could have done this at their HQ in Washington but it appears Chrysler wanted to make a show of it and put everyone on notice in the most public way possible.

Nice police report though, gave $200 for a $116 part and got $4 change. The attention to detail is outstanding, too bad their math skills are poor. :smilielol:

Chris G.

Quote from: Shakey on July 14, 2008, 06:14:08 AM
Why aren't you going to post any of the pics you have?

I meant last night Mr. Happy.  ;)

1. Bobby Wolf with an officer. Look close and you can see the taser or gun in the officers hand.
2. Dave Laysons in the front seat of the cop car. He was in the back, but I am guessing he asked for the front seat because it was hot as hizzle outside.
3. Ummm
4. The Pink car was almost seized for evidence.  :P

ps- I would have took more, but they already threatened a guy who took about a hundred shots. i know the constitution blah blah blah, but I ain't trying to get an obstruction of justice on a Saturday in PA. I was happy sneaking a few shots and moving on.

7dcharger

Quote from: Dodge Don on July 14, 2008, 09:48:59 AM
Nice police report though, gave $200 for a $116 part and got $4 change. The attention to detail is outstanding, too bad their math skills are poor. :smilielol:

Not to mention that they have NOS identified as Nitrous Oxide Systems instead of New Old Stock.

Troy

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 13, 2008, 06:34:29 PM
Defiantly a strange sight to see at a car show.....I swear someone was playing the theme to the "Cops" TV show in the crowd! ;)

The "masked marauder"  was a strange sight as well :scratchchin:
Quote from: konigcharger on July 13, 2008, 09:31:58 PM
:o wow they even brought ninjas with them

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Where's 4cruzin' when you need him? He was wondering what they could have possibly been guilty of that would require "6 cops and a Ninja". Sadly, we were sitting one aisle over and I never saw the guy in full gear but I did see one of the officers driving the truck out of there. Other than that, it pulled enough spectators away from the cars that I got some good pics. :D

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68charger383

As stated, Layson probably makes 75% of their business at this show. The cops came in an took them down in broad daylight for all  :patrol: to see...that was the example Mopar wanted as a deterrence to all vender's who may be illegally selling unlicensed products!
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Ghoste

Well, I've had my own less than satisfied experiences with Laysons and God forbid someone should deny Chrysler their licensing pound of flesh for stuff they can't be bothered to make themselves, but all those cops with cop gear and a ninja and no taking pictures at a very public event?  They staged a show but don't look? 
I wasn't there obviously and I clearly don't know all the details and I'm sure at the end of the day we will find out that the public handcuffing and threat of tasering was needed in order to prevent a mass murder or something of Chrysler executives but WTF??
Sorry, but at the moment I need to go put on a copy of "Alice's Restaraunt".