News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger Convertible Built With AMD Parts at Carlisle (Photos)

Started by Old Moparz, July 14, 2008, 12:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

So by the end of the day on Friday at Carlisle, Troy, Gene, (Hemigeno) Danny, (69_500) & myself decide to get something to eat for dinner. Before we leave, Troy asked me if I had seen the Charger convertible conversion that was in the first row of the swap meet. I usually come in the 1st gate in line with the 1st row, but this year I decided to go in another gate so I never saw it.   ::)

On my way out to get my truck & go meet them for dinner, I decide I had to see the Charger convertible conversion first. It was awesome, & something I've wanted for years. I made a sketch of one almost 30 years ago & have always wanted to build one. I had the base ragtop to work with, a '68 Coronet, & then bought my '68 Charger to go ahead with the project. Long story short, I changed my mind after realizing it was beyond my skills & decided just build a Daytona & gathered all the parts for that project instead.

After talking to the vendors at "Mars Mopar" who did the conversion & sell AMD parts, www.marsmopar.com my Coronet is no longer for sale.    :D    While I'm talking to the guy from Mars, (not Brock Samson btw) Troy decides to call me & interrupt my conversation with some crap about "Where are you, we're all hungry?" I tell him I'm looking at the Charger convertible, I'll see you soon.   :lol: 

Here's some pix of the car which was rushed together for Carlisle. It's a bit crude in places, but they will finish it at a later date using all AMD sheet metal & a few custom fabricated parts, like the rear area between the deck lid & the convertible top. They will be adding doors, deck lids, & the lower, rear, valance corners, to the list of Charger repro parts in the future.

Anyone interested in buying a 1971 Barracuda?   :D
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Brock Samson

o.k the dude from Mars....  :nana:  thinks a daytona convert is a great idea...

Blown70

Quote from: Old Moparz on July 14, 2008, 12:59:32 PM

Anyone interested in buying a 1971 Barracuda?   :D

:slap:  Now, DANG YOU!!!!  WHY, WHY, WHY  :RantExplode:  Just when I make a deal on a running driving 69 Charger.......  :RantExplode:

craigandlynda

did you by chance see if they used frame ties? just curious...
:scratchchin:

Kevin68N71

Nah, not for me.  To me the roof makes the car.  You can argue that with ANY convertible really, but that tunnel/flying buttress roof just completes the lines.

In my opinion, that is why the Road Runner convertible worked so well.  You had a much plainer roofline to start with, so you didn't really lose anything.  And the RR was more of a brute force block design, not the flowing lines of the Charger.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

Old Moparz

Quote from: Brock Samson on July 14, 2008, 01:15:18 PM

:lol:  Hey Dave, I thought I had the right planet.

My car won't be a Daytona ragtop though, just a base Charger with '69 sheet metal. The biggest hurdle in converting the Coronet to a Charger was the rear clip. I wish I could post the before & after photos from their photo album that was sitting on their car. The base convertible they used was so badly rotted, that the only parts salvageable were the roof frame supports behind, & adjacent to the rear seat. The car they started with was a Satellite, not a Coronet.

I'll probably just box up my Daytona parts for the time being, sell off 2 other cars & see how I can manage this project. The car they had at Carlisle would be about $15,000 with all new sheet metal from AMD. I won't need as much as that car did, & more than likely, I'll have them do the rear clip only. Now I've got to make a list of Coronet parts for sale.   :lol:
               Bob                

Old Moparz

Bob                

nh_mopar_fan

Ever try to avert your eyes from the disaster?

It's like watching the Yankees this year!

:yesnod:

:slap:

:smilielol:

1969chargerrtse

Hmmmm, I don't know?  I don't like the tall windshield for one.  Kinda neat to see all that new sheet metal, but if dodge didn't offer it, not for me.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on July 14, 2008, 01:29:42 PM
Quote from: Brock Samson on July 14, 2008, 01:15:18 PM

:lol:  Hey Dave, I thought I had the right planet.

My car won't be a Daytona ragtop though, just a base Charger with '69 sheet metal. The biggest hurdle in converting the Coronet to a Charger was the rear clip. I wish I could post the before & after photos from their photo album that was sitting on their car. The base convertible they used was so badly rotted, that the only parts salvageable were the roof frame supports behind, & adjacent to the rear seat. The car they started with was a Satellite, not a Coronet.

I'll probably just box up my Daytona parts for the time being, sell off 2 other cars & see how I can manage this project. The car they had at Carlisle would be about $15,000 with all new sheet metal from AMD. I won't need as much as that car did, & more than likely, I'll have them do the rear clip only. Now I've got to make a list of Coronet parts for sale.   :lol:
pete (wingnut) from connecticut has a daytona convert very cool !   I think you need the wing after you lose the roof line.
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Old Moparz

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on July 14, 2008, 02:24:54 PM
Ever try to avert your eyes from the disaster?

It's like watching the Yankees this year!

:yesnod:

:slap:

:smilielol:

:lol:  It'll still be a good post season without the Red Sox.
               Bob                

69bronzeT5

I like it. It looks better than that yellow '68 convert. that was posted earlier. :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Charger_Fan

I hope yours ends up with a front end better alignment than theirs did. :o ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

66chargerkid

I want one BADDD!!!
Daytona convert would be SWEEEEEEEET!!!!
maybe someday...

69*F5*SE

I kind of like the convertible look but I wouldn't want one.  :scratchchin:

Old Moparz

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on July 14, 2008, 04:56:27 PM
I hope yours ends up with a front end better alignment than theirs did. :o ;D

The guy at Mars Mopar told me that they are still going to replace the firewall & the front floor below it. It's not that solid in some places, you can see holes, so the nose will be removed to do it. I don't remember, but he may have even said they're doing front frame rails on it too. They only rushed it together in 3 weeks to show everyone the AMD parts & the basics of the Charger ragtop. My Coronet needs front rails & torque boxes, so I may let them do that as well if I think the car can go from NY to GA without collapsing.   :smilielol:
               Bob                

HKCharger

to me 2nd gen chargers dont look good as verts. 2 cents

Old Moparz

Quote from: HKCharger on July 14, 2008, 05:25:59 PM

I kind of agree, but I love ragtops too much not to do it.

Besides, the Coronet is rough & I wouldn't feel bad modifying it.  :popcrn:
               Bob                

Daytona R/T SE

I ALWAYS wanted to do that to my '68 Charger, but could never lay my hands on a coronet rag top.

Now with all of the aftermarket body parts out there I probably would not have to sacrifice the "68 :scratchchin:

Hmmmm.....

Better finish my Daytona first   ::)

Finn

To me you avatar doesn't look as good in that small size. Definitely need to post a full size image. Possibly poster size.  :Twocents:  :D
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Dave22443

Quote from: Finn on July 14, 2008, 06:01:09 PM

To me you avatar doesn't look as good in that small size. Definitely need to post a full size image. Possibly poster size.  :Twocents:  :D

:iagree:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Troy

Quote from: Finn on July 14, 2008, 06:01:09 PM

The full size pictures were posted (by someone else) on this site. All it takes is a bit of searching...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

twenty mike mike

Quote from: Kevin68N71 on July 14, 2008, 01:23:59 PM
Nah, not for me.  To me the roof makes the car.  You can argue that with ANY convertible really, but that tunnel/flying buttress roof just completes the lines.

In my opinion, that is why the Road Runner convertible worked so well.  You had a much plainer roofline to start with, so you didn't really lose anything.  And the RR was more of a brute force block design, not the flowing lines of the Charger.

Yep, I agree on both counts.