News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Officially started the paint process on my clone.

Started by hotrod98, July 15, 2008, 11:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

Well, the color has been chosen and now I can't change it. Well, I could but I would have $600 invested in red basecoat. I decided to go with 2008 Dodge PR3 Torred.  I wanted a more modern red but wanted to stay with a Chrysler color. The formula for this color has a small amount of large metallic in it, but I left it out. I don't want any metallic in a bright red. Looks too much like dust in the color.  Hope to get color on the body in a couple of days. Due to the heat, I'll cut and buff the body before painting the other panels. That's the nice thing about solid colors. As long as you use the same base and the same number of coats and paint from the same batch, it will match.  I never paint any more than I can realistically cut and buff in two days. I learned that hard lesson one hot summer and will never forget it.
I removed the windshield tonight and there's yet more proof that this was a real triple black car. The metal behind the glass was black and absolutely rust free. One more reason to feel guilty about changing the color on a real triple black R/T SE. The previous owner stopped by today and he's not really into this whole project. I think finding out that I was changing the color was not what he had expected.
Now I have to drop the engine out to paint the engine bay. One of my guys at the dealership just painted that engine bay a couple of years ago. Looked good too. Too bad I have to re-do it now.
More later.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

A383Wing

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

Daytona Guy

Nice booth. Car looks great.!!!!!! Impressive work.
Dane

hotrod98

When I left the dealership I had paint booth withdrawals. I never realized how much I depended on that booth until I no longer had access to it. When we built the new shop there was never any question about buying a booth. I'm anxious to finish the car and get those ugly 14" slotted rims off and put the new Magnum 500's on. The part that I love is bolting on all of the new stuff. I still haven't had time to install the new leather seat covers. 
There's never been a daytona wing car around this part of the world so I should garner a little attention. Not that I need the attention.  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

hotrod98

It was so difficult trying to decide on the color combo. I've mentioned many times that the heat here in the south has a lot to do with not wanting to go black. That and the fact that with a car this big, by the time you get the second side clean, the other side is already dirty.
A few years ago when I was surfing the net, I ran across a site that had a pic of one of Dane's cars that had been placed on a calender. I decided right then that I wanted to build a Daytona clone and it had to be red with a white wing/stripe. Well, I went through several color choices after that and up until a few weeks ago had decided to just go with black and live with the negatives. Then while going through the hundreds of Daytona pics that I have on my computer, I saw the pic of Mike (I think) driving the car that he had just bought from Dane. That clinched it. No other color combo affects me the way that the red/white combo does.
I know it's been done so many times, but there's a reason. It just looks good.
Here's the actual pic that made me decide once and for all to go with my original choice from the beginning. Thanks Dane :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

moparstuart

I love the red choice , I dont know that i could have made the choice to change your original blk R/T. But i love that color combo

Mine will be viper red with white stripe ( i think white ) still contemplating ?

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BigBlockSam

Quote  Mine will be viper red 

thats the color of my rod . great color.

black sucks  . it's impossible to keep clean........  good choice on the red . you done yet   :icon_smile_wink:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Blown70

NICE VERY NICE  cannot wait to see the final product.  :popcrn: :2thumbs:

hotrod98

I painted my son's 5.0 Mustang Viper red. That's another great color. The PR3 Torred is slightly darker.

I hope to have the body back in the booth today and shoot color on it tomorrow.
That is if there aren't too many interruptions.
I painted other parts yesterday that are not in the pics. I shot the front braces and the headlamp pivots with black epoxy and then took them out of the booth before shooting the red.
I still have to shoot the front spoiler, z-braces, wing braces, wing washers and all of the front sheet metal. There's a lot of pieces to a Daytona. You have to keep thinking about a logical order to shoot all of the parts. It's a little more complicated than your average car.
Engine bay comes later. I know that's reverse from how it's normally done, but the late color change kind of threw the whole plan off a little.

Now if we can just find that crate of superbird parts that I ordered from Dayclona. UPS strikes again. Mike's been calling them and they have no clue as to where it ended up. That crate is half of the size of a small car and they somehow lost it. Sheeesh. If our governement was run as bad as...never mind. Bad analogy.  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: dads_69 on July 16, 2008, 11:03:44 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on July 16, 2008, 08:55:11 AM
I love the red choice , I dont know that i could have made the choice to change your original blk R/T. But i love that color combo

Mine will be viper red with white stripe ( i think white ) still contemplating ?

Hey, Cuda-Ken's old charger. Is that yours now Stu' or just a photo of what color choice your wanting?

Larry, a little masking paper would have saved your stand covers from paint also, I didn't notice the mess/overspray until this morning. I hammer my apprentice everytime about that.  :D

Mark
yes the infamous cudaken car is my daytona clone project

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 16, 2008, 11:10:47 AM
I painted my son's 5.0 Mustang Viper red. That's another great color. The PR3 Torred is slightly darker.

I hope to have the body back in the booth today and shoot color on it tomorrow.
That is if there aren't too many interruptions.
I painted other parts yesterday that are not in the pics. I shot the front braces and the headlamp pivots with black epoxy and then took them out of the booth before shooting the red.
I still have to shoot the front spoiler, z-braces, wing braces, wing washers and all of the front sheet metal. There's a lot of pieces to a Daytona. You have to keep thinking about a logical order to shoot all of the parts. It's a little more complicated than your average car.
Engine bay comes later. I know that's reverse from how it's normally done, but the late color change kind of threw the whole plan off a little.

Now if we can just find that crate of superbird parts that I ordered from Dayclona. UPS strikes again. Mike's been calling them and they have no clue as to where it ended up. That crate is half of the size of a small car and they somehow lost it. Sheeesh. If our governement was run as bad as...never mind. Bad analogy.  :icon_smile_big:

just tell him to reship the parts that nose is long gone 

hotrod98

Mark, I got lazy. No other excuse. I need to spray the walls with spray mask as well. Too many projects, too little time.

Stuart, UPS employees, Billy Ray and Billy Bob found my crate in Lowell, Arkansas (70 miles from here) and for some unknown reason shipped it back to Kansas City. So close, yet so far.

Sheesh!

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 16, 2008, 12:40:52 PM
Mark, I got lazy. No other excuse. I need to spray the walls with spray mask as well. Too many projects, too little time.

Stuart, UPS employees, Billy Ray and Billy Bob found my crate in Lowell, Arkansas (70 miles from here) and for some unknown reason shipped it back to Kansas City. So close, yet so far.

Sheesh!
Ok i know where to get me a nose really quick , gotta run lenexa here i come !

Hemi_tyme

Hey Larry very nice car and booth Bud  and I love the color choice :2thumbs: I did a little work myself today, I blasted Joe's car undercarriage and engine compatment and will try and lay a little EV2 paint tomorrow also . Keep up the great work. :2thumbs:
Ken

hotrod98

Thanks Ken.
I would like to come by some time and check out Joe's car. I definitely want a ride in it once it's finished.
I still haven't heard anything back on the OK City bird.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

Quotecudaken car 

wow! , no shit . i wondered what happen to that car . i thought he still had it . what was wrong with the motor ? i remember he blew it up , or something ?
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 16, 2008, 12:23:04 AM
When I left the dealership I had paint booth withdrawals. I never realized how much I depended on that booth until I no longer had access to it. When we built the new shop there was never any question about buying a booth. I'm anxious to finish the car and get those ugly 14" slotted rims off and put the new Magnum 500's on. The part that I love is bolting on all of the new stuff. I still haven't had time to install the new leather seat covers. 
There's never been a daytona wing car around this part of the world so I should garner a little attention. Not that I need the attention.  :icon_smile_big:

I want your slotted rims man,,are you gonna' get rid of them...hint, hint. :D
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on July 16, 2008, 10:56:58 PM
Quotecudaken car 

wow! , no shit . i wondered what happen to that car . i thought he still had it . what was wrong with the motor ? i remember he blew it up , or something ?
yes he blow it up and sold the car to moparhound ( my buddy lonnie) less the motor , lonnie had it about a year then sold it to me. Lonnie lives two minutes from my house.   I have had the car alttle over a year , now it has a 440 6pack motor I built and installed here at my yard/shop. Hope to soon get it to larry for wing and vega hatch install .

Its the car below in the picture

BigBlockSam

moparstuart

BigBlockSam

PocketThunder

Time to change the color of the Daytona in your signature...   :scratchchin:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

yeah larry you done yet so the black car can be red now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!