News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Officially started the paint process on my clone.

Started by hotrod98, July 15, 2008, 11:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

Blushing equals dye-back. However, blushing can occur even at the time the finish is applied whereas dye-back usually occurs as solvents evaporate out of the inner layers of clear, basecoat and/or sealer. Most dye-back problems are going to be due to trapped solvents. Solvent pop or solvent blisters are caused by excessive amounts of solvent evaporation. I've seen this happen where the paint booth fan speed is too high and the finish skims over quickly trapping solvents. High temps, high humidity, too fast solvents all cause problems.

Here's a few pics of the car with clear applied. I did get a little trash. It looks like it came out of the vents on the cowl. No matter how much you clean it, you still get trash blowing out of that area. I see a few blemishes in the primer, but I'm happy enough with the outcome. I'll just wet sand and buff a few spots and leave it at that.

Now that it's black...I can't turn back.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

:yesnod:  :boogie:

thats gonna be a sweet ride.  :yesnod: i hate black , cause it's such a pain in the ass to keep clean but when black is clean . there's nothing like it.  :cheers:

QuoteStuart, go with panther pink with a black stripe

dude stop!  please don't paint your wing car pink. please .
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Daytona R/T SE

hotrod98

Quote from: dads_69 on August 19, 2008, 10:55:35 PM
Larry, wish I could have been there. What color is the int. of your clone? Tail stripe also? I know, if I read the hole topic I would most likely have the answer, but I'm feelin' lazy...

Looks sinister.

Oh yeah, once you go black, you never go back!
Black cars look better in the shade.

The interior is black. The wing and stripe will be flat black. The car will be triple black once again.
The rims will be 17" Boyd Coddington Smoothie II's. My avatar should give you an idea of what the car will look like very soon. 
I'll probably buy 18" rims later. The Boyd's are actually my wife's rims for her Cuda.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

I used to love painting, but now not so much. Ironic since I now have a decent booth to paint in. I still like making cars look nice, but I think I'm getting old and lazy.
I am looking forward to painting my wife's bird clone though. Limelight always cheers me up for some reason. That and it doesn't show the small flaws like black does.
The runner that I'm building for my brother-in-law and my cuda race car are both going to be silver. Metallics are a pain in the a**, but at least they don't show the flaws. Other than mottling that is. Been a while since I had a metallic mottle on me though.  I still have the two gallons of PR3 Performance Red that I bought for the daytona clone. Guess I'll save that for my 70 Camaro.
I better get used to painting again since I have several to paint over the next few months. I'm getting behind.

Charles Addams

Howie

That much closer :popcrn: and its looking  :drool5:. I am  :yesnod:it. Realy liking it. It had to be black.

mikepmcs

Thanks for the explanation.  Car looks great, I wish I had your paint booth. :cheers: :2thumbs:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

richRTSE

Wow Larry, the car looks great! :drool5: Keep the pictures coming!  :2thumbs:

Rich

hotrod98

More pics as requested.
The first pic is the charger fresh out of the booth.
The second is of me wet sanding the entire freaking car with 1500 grit on a da sander. I hate this part.
Anyway, the next step will be to go back over it with 3000 grit on a da sander. I hate that part too.
Next step is to buff the entire car with compound and then polish with polishing compound. And, I hate that part.
The only part that I like is when it's finished and I can step back and look at it and say...never again.
But I will do it again, because I don't know any better.
As soon as the car is buffed, I'll start on the rest of the parts.

Charles Addams

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Blown70

Funny,  I used to love wet sanding cars.... I did it by hand though.......Want me to come help out...... :nana:  Think I owe you for all the info this past month.... :2thumbs:

I never did the buffing, guess I was the rookie.

hotrod98

Man, these Chargers are big cars. I guess I'm used to my cudas and challengers. I've only managed to wet sand the roof, the plug and the tops of the panels today. I'll wet sand the sides of the doors and quarters in the morning and buff everything out tomorrow afternoon. I'm sure glad the temperature is working for me rather than against me, otherwise this car would be impossible to buff.
The car looks a lot different with the magnums. They won't be on there for long though.

Blown70, The help would be much appreciated. No one around here wants to get involved. Until it's time to paint their car that is. I get that a lot. It's hard to help people out when they're never around to recipricate.  ;D

Charles Addams

xs29j8Bullitt

Your Daytona is looking great Larry... Two of my favorite types of Mopars combined... All Black & Wing Car!  :coolgleamA:

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

mikepmcs

Larry, you must be something with a DA and 1500-3000

I wet sand with 2000 then cut it with 2.0(10 cut) then I bury it with machine glaze to remove swirls. 

Help me out and share your secrets please. :cheers:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hotrod98

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on August 21, 2008, 07:13:05 PM
Your Daytona is looking great Larry... Two of my favorite types of Mopars combined... All Black & Wing Car!  :coolgleamA:

Allen

Thanks...the black is growing on me. I tend to complain a lot because...well...I'm kind of lazy nowadays. Youth is wasted on the young.

Quote from: mikepmcs on August 21, 2008, 07:27:51 PM
Larry, you must be something with a DA and 1500-3000

I wet sand with 2000 then cut it with 2.0(10 cut) then I bury it with machine glaze to remove swirls.

Help me out and share your secrets please. :cheers:

v/r
Mike

Me and my guys at the dealership sort of taught ourselves through trial and error. We've built and repaired a lot of black cars. I use the 3M trizact system which uses the Hookit II disc on a palm DA sander. If the clear has a lot of orange peel, I'll use 1200 grit, then drop to 1500 and then go to 3000. For a true show car, I'll follow up the 1500 Trizact with 1500 grit wetordry paper on a block to level the clear before switching to the 3000. The DA with 1500 does tend to make the clear slightly wavy. Most people don't notice it really. I skipped that step on this car. This car isn't a show car, it's a driver and it's going to get scratched, etc. 3M has their Perfectit III system and I usually use the regular compound and the fine polish.  I never use the old style glazes. The old style glaze is a filler and will wash out eventually. It's for body shops that need to get the car out in a hurry. When I buff, I first use 6062 Perfect It 3000 on a 3M 5704 double sided wool pad, then switch to a 3M 5725 polishing waffle pad with the 6062, then switch to the blue 3M 5751 Ultrafina blue waffle pad with the 6068 Ultrafina polish (glaze). Everyone has their own system, but this one works without having 10 different products sitting around. I'll usually apply a carnuba wax with a soft pad on my DA and then use 3M 6016 3M detailing cloths to clean up.
I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow after I'm finished.   

Charles Addams

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

dads_69

Larry, I use compound named Total w/a Maguires red pad for buffing. It's a one shot deal, no second buff unless your retentive, like I can be on darker colored cars by using PPG"s final glaze for dark colored cars only.

Looking good BTW.....

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

BigBlockSam

wow! very nice. looks like glass . i hate sanding  too .  :2thumbs:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

Two black daytonas completed in the same year...three if you count the one that Mike G. built.
Must be a new record. Somebody call Guinness. :2thumbs:

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on August 21, 2008, 09:22:18 PM
Two black daytonas completed in the same year...three if you count the one that Mike G. built.
Must be a new record. Somebody call Guinness. :2thumbs:
oh yeah angrier  :2thumbs:

BigBlockSam

PocketThunder

Does the tail light panel get organisol(or similar) or will you leave it body color?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hotrod98

I was just thinking about that yesterday. I'm not sure yet.
I think that with the flat black wing and stripe that it would look better to leave it glossy.
Saves me time and money as well.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on August 22, 2008, 12:34:07 PM
I was just thinking about that yesterday. I'm not sure yet.
I think that with the flat black wing and stripe that it would look better to leave it glossy.
Saves me time and money as well.
    would be a nice touch though !! 

BigBlockSam

Quoteleave it glossy.   

i think it would look better that way,  with the flat black stripe