News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can I get the lights to work?

Started by GN, October 26, 2008, 06:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN

On my 74 Charger SE with a 318 I found out why my dome light, trunk light and flashers do not work. Apparently the past owner had some trouble with the fuse box. The place where the fuse goes was burnt. There is a fuse in place but the above mentioned lights do not work. The brake works because it is jumped from the acc plug in at the bottom of the fuse box to the brake light switch where the pink wire goes. My question is, can I make all the lights work again by an inline fuse or something like that? Is there a way to get them working again witout using the fuse box?

71_deputy

usually the fuse cavity gets corroded and with the current through it causes a bad connection- thus heat.

if you can get the fuse connections clean, it should be OK.- I use a Dremel tool with the small wire brush on it to get it clean- then use some dielectric grease on it.

while your doing the one- do them all- will save you problems later

PS- make sure you disconnect the battery before you do this!!!

if the cavity is too bad melted beyond the use of it- yes- get a larger wire fuse holder- not one from a radio- too small.  get the fuse box away from the bulkhead- cut the wires and then twist the wires to the new fuse holder wires- solder them and then use heat shrink tube to keep things nice and insulated!!!

John Mac
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

Nacho-RT74

I'm getting same cavity melting... AAAAARGH AND WAS A PERFECT AND NICE FUSE BOX!!!

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

GN

So all the wires are behind the fuse box that I need to connect together? What would cause it to over heat in the first place? Do I still use a 20 amp in line fuse?

71_deputy

look behind the melted fuse cavity- there will be a buss bar on one side- your gonna have to see how to connect to the new fuse holder-I have drilled out the fuse holder part and used a small bolt, lock washer and nut to connect a eyelet connector from the bussbar to the connector- then to the new fuse wire!

other side is a black and a pink wire- that is where you will have to splice it onto the new fuse

yes 20amp fuse!!!!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van