News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PPG K38 Paint Help.........

Started by 68mmcharger, July 21, 2008, 08:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dads_69

I couldn't agree more w/you. I'm almost sorry I even put in my two cents, but after reading some of the replies, well, oh well. Good luck w/the project.
FWIW, I use a lot of the roll primer by PPG in my garage. Works awesome, but for doing a complete car, never tried it myself, yet. Standard primer can be rolled as well, just goes on a lot thinner but gets the job done.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

hemi-hampton

83CHARGER2.2

No Chest pumping here, but Dads 68, you may want to try a Sata RP with a 1.4.  It is not a fire hose, but a finely atomizing German Spray Gun.  Most folks that use Sata's never go back to anything else.  I don't use the GTI's anymore just because when something works better for you, you normally stick with it.   Good luck with the SXA1060 , or whatever primers you are rolling on.

dads_69

I tried the Sata primer gun, didn't like it either. I'm after mill thickness when applying primer, not how well it lays out/evenly. Normally two coats maybe three depending on what I'm covering w/K-38 or Dupont primer.
I block most work down first w/240 then re-coat w/1 or 2 more then 320 wet sand if it's a resto job. If it's a collision repair quickie, then 3 coats w/my 1.8 tip gun and block down 280 dry and done.
Call me stubborn or cheap, but the price of a Sata gun is ridiculous. There are many others out there that do an equivlent job for less price.
Who's pumping out their chest here anyways? We're just discussing a paint issue.  :shruggy:

Mark

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: dads_69 on August 27, 2008, 12:21:45 PM

Who's pumping out their chest here anyways? We're just discussing a paint issue.  :shruggy:

Mark

Mark ,I was not referring to you.... If you read back through the thread you will see who I am referring too.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

dads_69

I know you weren't referring to me, call me naive this week, I have a lot on my plate but I just didn't see was being ignorant.

Back to bed for me, ha...

Oh yeah, 68mmcharger (Kevin) any photos of the project yet?

Mark

yeahitsgotahemi!

Yeah, I use a super soaker. I don't know what the hell all you other guys are talking about, but I just load it up in my squirt gun and go to town.  :D
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

68mmcharger

Mark,

Latest progress pics are near bottom of this link. Work on fenders and trunk lid are further up in this thread.

Kevin

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,5655.0.html

375instroke

Quote from: 1hot68 on August 17, 2008, 05:49:51 PM
BUT, If this guy is doing a car on his own , don't-cha think he'd be served well with a good all around gun , that maybe he can also spray his door jambs etc. with? instead of some "buffalo" 2.2 gun from harbor freight?
The great thing about the Harbor Freight guns is that you can throw it away and buy a new one for what it costs in thinner to clean my Sata Jet.