News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

info on 318 to 360 swap UPDATE

Started by 1968_Charger, July 21, 2008, 08:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968_Charger

hey, i just got a 360 to put in my 68 charger. looks like the water pump exits on the driverside on my car but its the opposite on the 360. will the waterpump from the 318 swap to the 360? i havent seen this addressed yet on the boards so please fill me in. i am aware of most of the other swap issues like the mount and flexplate.
thanks
for any help

craigandlynda

the water pump should swap....biggest bugaboo is that 360 engine needs balanced coverter (or flywheel).while its open consider double roller timing chain...also you should check exhaust manifolds...also, where did 360 come from? oil pans may be different, necessitating a switch of pan and possibly pickup...
i have done this swap some years ago, and was very satisfied with results....made a nice 74 charger street car, good torque, didn't need high rpms for good running...if you are running 904 automatic, might consider going to 727A, with heavier driveshaft...keep us informed

Rolling_Thunder

the water pump will swap over...       

Driver's motor mount different
Needs weighted Torque Converter or Flywheel
if your 318 was a 2bbl - throttle cable is different

did this swap a couple years back in my 68 - went with a MP crate 360.   I loved it    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1968_Charger

thanks, i think ive got the rest of the stuff covered just wasnt sure on the water pump.
i ordered a b&m flexplate and im getting a oil pan and pickup. the motor was rebuilt not to long ago and runs good so im not tearing into it any more than i have to. also already have a 727 in the car. hoping to see a pretty good difference, as the motor that is in the car was a 318 that had set for 20 years, and feels like a 4 cylinder.
also i was wondering what would be a good rearend ratio. id like something i could drive on the highway once in a while, but would also spin the tires over if i wanted to :icon_smile_big: i was thinking 3.55 or 3.23 what do you guys suggest?

craigandlynda

if you cruise the interstates and higher speed roads, stick to the 323.. keep the rpms sensible while cruising...if mostly local, 355 works nicely...if its an 8 3/4, just stock up on pumpkins with different ratios....273 for trips, 355 local, 411/433 street race..

1968_Charger

ok i got the motor swapped.  :2thumbs:
now heres the problem. when i changed the oil pan, i never thought about changing the dipstick. somehow the dipstick got caught up in the motor somewhere and broke off in the pan.  :eek2:
i dont think i ran it long enough to do any damage, but now ive got to drop the pan to get the dipstick parts back out. my question is can i drop the pan without taking the motor back out of the car? and what do you guys think it might have hung on?
thanks

craigandlynda

my first guess is that the broken off portion is stuck in the baffle setup on the pan...or the windage tray (you did put a windage tray in, while it was open, didn't you?)...you don't have to pull the motor to pull the pan...the FSM has directions...if i remember, pulling off tie rod and swinging steering components out of the way is second step
first step is disconnect the battery.

1968_Charger

all fixed.  :icon_smile_big: no harm done. pieces were laying in the bottom of the pan.thanks for all the help guys!