News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Charger R/T what's it worth question

Started by 1968Coronet500, July 27, 2008, 04:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968Coronet500

Been thinking long and hard, but I may sell my restored '68, everything is brand new and a 4 speed was added(correctly), needs a few minor things to finish up(reverse light switch, put on the new interior door panels, and glove box). The car is clean straight, and rust free.

The motor is pushing out roughly 525 horses, Edelbrock heads, etc., I have over $10,000 in the motor alone.

Any thoughts on what I should ask?

Thanks

HKCharger

68rt

dkn1997

that's a little rough, i'd say 1500.  I'll bring cash tomorrow :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
RECHRGED

2Gunz

I think its more of what you can live with.

I think my car is worth between 30-50 thousand.

But would not start thinking about selling for less than 80.

1FastCharger

AWESOME color combo. I love the silver/red especially with the red rear stripe.

I might be wrong here....should the engine be orange? I though the turquoise was for the 383.
66 A100 - 68 Charger - 69 Charger

HKCharger

1968Coronet500

Thanks guys for your advice/complements!!!   My older brother is dying of Diabetes, and my parents are getting close to passing. I don't have the drive right now, that I used to have. I got an hour tonight to spare, even though I skipped the once a year Mopar show, and took the Charger out.

Running through the gears and being pushed into the seat reminds me of my motorcycle days!! 

I had the stripes painted on, not the cheap sticker kits that end up peeling. I haven't bought the factory wheel well chrome because I heard bad things about the fit a few years ago.  It would dress the car up nice, the factory screw holes are dying to be filled.  When the motor was redone, I had the SIX PACK Internals put in to be on the safe side. 

I have 275's on the back, that's what I felt comfortable with being the biggest tire I could fit underneath without scrapping. Someone said I could go to a 285 series?  I went with the Edelbrock Suspension and Air Shocks in the back.  If I don't slowly release the gas, the Tires want to take off faster than the car..  TTI made a Great Exhaust System that fit well with the factory exhaust manifolds.  Expensive, but well worth it..  Decided to go with a 4 speed, 650 Horsepower Rated(same as the Max-Wedge Cars) Over-drive Tranny, drops your RPM'S by 25% on the Highway, and you get a stronger 1st Gear; let alone much better Gas Mileage.

1968Coronet500

More Shots

Old Moparz

It's never easy to put a figure on a finished car, especially when it isn't stock. Years ago you were guaranteed to lose tons of money, but it's not really like that now. The numbers that 2Gunz posted seem about right for yours, between $30K & $50K, but I think prices are down for most cars & hard to judge an exact amount.

I like the color combo on yours too, very cool.   :2thumbs:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

nakita7

Throw it on Ebay and see what it gets to?  :shruggy:

1968Coronet500

Thanks guys, I have to do some thinking.  Ebay sometimes creates more headaches than it's worth, unfortunately.

1968Coronet500

I forgot to mention, I do have the original 440 HP motor for it.

Thanks for your help guys.  I was thinking getting rid of it might speed up my other restoration projects, but no sense taking a heavy loss, when I can get in and enjoy it.  I'm not enjoying my other Mopar projects, years of parts collecting and overwhelmed restoration shops gets old after a while.

I could have paid full sticker for a brand new Challenger and had Gas for a year for what I spent on the car.  But hey, you get more thumbs up from a Charger than a new Challenger...

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: 1968Coronet500 on July 29, 2008, 05:46:11 PM

I could have paid full sticker for a brand new Challenger and had Gas for a year for what I spent on the car.  But hey, you get more thumbs up from a Charger than a new Challenger...

You could have bought a challenger, but we all know that challenger is not in the same league. Plus the challenger in 5 years will be worth what? maybe $15k max.

68rt

JimShine

Quote from: 1FastCharger on July 27, 2008, 08:59:36 PM
AWESOME color combo. I love the silver/red especially with the red rear stripe.

I might be wrong here....should the engine be orange? I though the turquoise was for the 383.

In 1968 the 440 was turquiose.

1968Coronet500

Turquiose was definitely the factory color for 1968, I had the motor painted that color after it was put back together.

I'm kind of torn between selling the '68 Charger or selling off all of my other Chargers to a collector who wants to restore them. I'm buying another house so a good size down payment is sensible.  But I may never have the energy to redo another Charger to what I have into the Silver one.  I love my V-code, but I'm still on the fence??  Any suggestions??  Thanks

2Gunz

If you have passion for the car then NEVER sell it.

Because money cannot replace that.

But if your not in love with it, then sell it and move on.

Like I said before It would take 80 grand for me to even start to think about it.

Not that I believe the car is worth that much.... but thats how much it would
take for me to not think I was a huge dumbass for selling it.

tan top

Quote from: 2Gunz on August 04, 2008, 02:45:25 AM

If you have passion for the car then NEVER sell it.

Because money cannot replace that.

But if your not in love with it, then sell it and move on.

Like I said before It would take 80 grand for me to even start to think about it.

Not that I believe the car is worth that much.... but thats how much it would
take for me to not think I was a huge dumbass for selling it.

some true stuff there   :yesnod:
  awesome   looking charger   in that color combo  :drool5:
so then what other charger have you got  :popcrn: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1968Coronet500

I know what your saying, I love the car, but I haven't had time to enjoy it.  I have my '69 U-code Plymouth GTX at the restoration shop now for over 2 years and I'm not really excited anymore about getting it finished.  Stuck in between, I guess.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it...

1968Coronet500

I've had some overseas offers.  Are they usually legit and is there a safe way to receive payment from an out of the country money order?

1FastCharger

Quote from: 1968Coronet500 on August 05, 2008, 12:08:06 PM
I've had some overseas offers.  Are they usually legit and is there a safe way to receive payment from an out of the country money order?

With ANY sale - overseas or not - I always wait until the payment clears my bank before releasing the car. That usually means two weeks after the check, cashier's check or money order clears. Just state that up front and I'm sure they buyer would understand.

I also used a wire transfer to receive money before. I did not want to give my bank info out, but my bank assured me there was no way to take money out. Of course an overseas buyer may be suspicious if you request a wire transfer which seems to be the calling card of a scammer.
66 A100 - 68 Charger - 69 Charger

472 R/T SE

My Super Bee went to Australia and my Harley to Japan.  Both times I gave the buyer a number from my bank to use to deposit the money into.
The bank said I didn't need to start another account and that number I gave would only receive money from the buyer's/representative and no way money could be withdrawn by anyone but me.

paironines

1968Coronet500-----  How many other projects do you have?  If there are several, my opinion would be to keep your finished one plus one project. That should be enough to keep you busy and hopefully produce some home down payment cash.

CharcoalCharger

I agree with 2Gunz.  I have a '74 Dart Sport that started life with a 318 and now has a 340 I put in.  I wouldn't think of selling for less than 50K.  It is my first car (1992), and after hearing so many people saying they wish they still had their first car, I vowed never to get rid of it.  I know I would never be able to get 50K for it (which makes it easier to keep it), but that's what it would take to part with it.  I love my lowly Dart too much to part for any less...so if you are excited about your GTX, sell the Charger and hopefully it won't cross your mind while you're cruising in your X.