News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's Up With This Nosecone?

Started by A383Wing, August 03, 2008, 08:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

:scratchchin:

And no, it's not our Daytona....

Bryan

moparstuart

that car caused alot of contraversy, MCG did anyway.  it's clone made from a olds toronado front!
  I know the guy who owns it well , I took this picture of it this morning in grand river kentucky
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Drache

This isnt one of the acclaimed "real '70 Daytona's" is it?
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

A383Wing

Quote from: Drache on August 03, 2008, 08:41:36 PM

No, that car you are referring to is somewhere else I think

Bryan

Aero426

moparstuart

Quote from: A383Wing on August 03, 2008, 08:54:24 PM

Bryan

well i dont know the whole story but this car was at one time acused of by MCG as being one of the acclaimed ! The guy who ownes it now has never said it was anything but a clone.
  MCG accused him of trading a shelby mustang or tons of money on it as if he was duped into buying a rare car , ( one of three ? or something like that . I would have to did up the artical .

Drache

Quote from: moparstuart on August 03, 2008, 09:17:53 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on August 03, 2008, 08:54:24 PM

Bryan

well i dont know the whole story but this car was at one time acused of by MCG as being one of the acclaimed ! The guy who ownes it now has never said it was anything but a clone.
  MCG accused him of trading a shelby mustang or tons of money on it as if he was duped into buying a rare car , ( one of three ? or something like that . I would have to did up the artical .

Yeah supposedly there were THREE 1970 Chargers that were made into Daytonas. Now Dodge said it wasn't them but it was dealers using left over Daytona parts. Now if that DOES make them real Daytonas is up to who you ask, but there is also no way of knowing which cars they were....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69bronzeT5

The front looks like it got crushed :P
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

A383Wing

I just noticed that the fender scoops look a little "flat" also....

Or is it my old eyes acting up again?

Bryan

Drache

Quote from: A383Wing on August 03, 2008, 09:37:55 PM
I just noticed that the fender scoops look a little "flat" also....

Or is it my old eyes acting up again?

Bryan

Look flat to me....  :shruggy:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

moparstuart

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,47075.0.html  I WILL BE POSTING MORE PICUTRES OF IT HERE

he will also be coming to monster mopar he lives in illinois near springfield i think !

kab69440

That nose is awesome! I love it! Anyone have a Toronado snout laying around doing nothing?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Daytona Craig

Come on guys, we all have the same disease! :eek2:-------------"Aeroitis"----------------He just couldn't fine the right doctor to help him. :shruggy: Can someone please give him Dr. Janich, or Doctor Stingers phone number! :angel:

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 04, 2008, 10:10:56 AM
:shruggy:
i see some if it , but he would have to seriously modify it !  :Twocents:
  good starting point if your into the homemade look ? 

IowaCharger69

Could it have been a fiberglass nose that got hot and warped? It looks too deliberate for that but  :shruggy:

moparstuart

no if you read the MCG article it talks about how he made it at home out of a toronado nose 

IowaCharger69

ooooOOOOoOOh  that was the reference. My bad. Next time I'll read more before I post. Thanks! ;)

hotrod98

I don't see where using the toronado front end would make anything easier other than the headlamp doors already being operable. Way too much fabrication for me. I spent about two days making the headlamps work on my clone and that includes making my own headlamp pivots.
Chalk one up for his ingenuity though.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on August 04, 2008, 04:20:06 PM
I don't see where using the toronado front end would make anything easier other than the headlamp doors already being operable. Way too much fabrication for me. I spent about two days making the headlamps work on my clone and that includes making my own headlamp pivots.
Chalk one up for his ingenuity though.
i think this car has been around a while and the guy was a crafty type !

70Sbird

OK guys,
I'm not a typist but here goes:
I don't think it a Toronado nose but just something concocted in a body shop in Central ILL!
I saw this car in MCG, I was going to write in then, but I don't have the greatest respect for their sometimes half investigated stories.
I know this car, and have seen it many times in various stages of construction. This car was sold about 25 years ago in Creve Coeur Illinois in black primer, looking rough as the proverbial cob. It was up on one of those elevated platforms that were so popular with the converted gas station used car lots in the day. In white shoe polish was written "Real RT" on the windshield and I believe the asking price was $9,999. It was just a 70 Charger with a wing bolted on the back of it.
Fast-forward a few years to 1996 or so. This guy stops by at a garage sale my wife and her mom are having at our house and looks over a few odds and ends parts I have for sale. He strikes up a conversation with wifey's mom (father in law paints cars) he gets confused and thinks I am the body man. He comes back about 45 minutes later in this very car, now painted plum crazy, with a very badly applied coat(s) of clear and wants me to give him an estimate on color sanding it out and buffing it. I explain that I'm not the body guy, but am into Mopars so we talk a bit about the car. I then figure out it was that same car I saw before in primer. I took down the fender tag info and decoded it for him; I believe it was actually an 70 Charger R/T. The car had a totally worn out interior, home made wing supports, and 1968 front fenders, with the correct 70 grille and no NOSE!! But on the tail stripe where it should have said " Daytona" was an "R/T" in purple (I'm sorry now I did not grab a camera and get some pics of this rolling abortion)
A year or two later we are again having the annual garage sale again and guess who shows up! The 70 Charger guy, but without his car. I still had my Demon and some Mopar parts for sale and he starts telling me he has a "one of 4" 70 Daytonas!!!!! The guy did not even remember bringing the car over, and that I have seen his fender tag!!!!!
But he is convinced that it's real because he has read so much about the 70 Daytona controversy on the Internet. I saw the car again a few years later (1998/1999 or so) at a local show with better paint (at least smoother), and  a new interior (not correct but a cloth "homemade" look). And sporting the black wing, but still no nose.
Fast-forward another few years to 2006. I have just moved back to Central Illinois, have a Superbird, and am at a local car show, when who would walk up and start talking about his "Daytona" but the old guy from Peoria Heights with the purple Charger! He starts comparing notes with me on how his Daytonas nose is a little different here and there, but looks a lot like mine. He doesn't take it to shows anymore because of all the flack he gets for it not being "real"! I actually believe that he honestly thinks his car is the real deal. He still can't put two and two together and realize that I saw his car at my house (pre-nose) and know he is full of s**t.
That would have been the end of my story except that about a year later there are two guys putting vinyl siding on a house next to mine and I happened to have the garage door open and the tail of the 'Bird in view of the public. The two guys come over and one starts talking about his V8 Monza, and other car stories, when they start talking about the Charger their dad just sold for $45,000!!!!!  Turns out it was a Purple 70 "Daytona" with the same big wing that I had on my Roadrunner.
Yes, it was the two sons of the old guy in Peoria Heights again!!!!!! They confirmed that this guy had a body shop fab up the nose and paint it. I saw the feature in MCG later and just laughed out loud! This is not a Daytona! I still amazes me how someone can just bolt a wing on a Charger probably at least 30 years ago and people still talk about this Frankenstein car like it was anything but a 1970 Charger with a big block!!! And a borrowed Daytona wing.
If I remember correctly it was a nice solid car, a 440 R/T, and it was a factory Purple car. Very nice indeed except for the "custom' nose and stitched interior.
Bottom line: Nice car! Goofy owner from early ninetys to a few years ago! I will also be at MMW and would love to see this car, as I have only seen pictures of the nose, but have never seen it in person.
OK this in now officially the longest thing I have typed since a college term paper and my two fingers are tired!
Than God for spell check or you probably couldn't even have read this far!
:brickwall:

Scott Faulkner

IowaCharger69

I would sig the above but I don't think it would fit. I love the forgetful car BS-ers out there that will tell you one thing then another not a month later.

moparstuart

Quote from: 70Sbird on August 04, 2008, 10:49:02 PM
OK guys,
I'm not a typist but here goes:
I don't think it a Toronado nose but just something concocted in a body shop in Central ILL!
I saw this car in MCG, I was going to write in then, but I don't have the greatest respect for their sometimes half investigated stories.
I know this car, and have seen it many times in various stages of construction. This car was sold about 25 years ago in Creve Coeur Illinois in black primer, looking rough as the proverbial cob. It was up on one of those elevated platforms that were so popular with the converted gas station used car lots in the day. In white shoe polish was written "Real RT" on the windshield and I believe the asking price was $9,999. It was just a 70 Charger with a wing bolted on the back of it.
Fast-forward a few years to 1996 or so. This guy stops by at a garage sale my wife and her mom are having at our house and looks over a few odds and ends parts I have for sale. He strikes up a conversation with wifey's mom (father in law paints cars) he gets confused and thinks I am the body man. He comes back about 45 minutes later in this very car, now painted plum crazy, with a very badly applied coat(s) of clear and wants me to give him an estimate on color sanding it out and buffing it. I explain that I'm not the body guy, but am into Mopars so we talk a bit about the car. I then figure out it was that same car I saw before in primer. I took down the fender tag info and decoded it for him; I believe it was actually an 70 Charger R/T. The car had a totally worn out interior, home made wing supports, and 1968 front fenders, with the correct 70 grille and no NOSE!! But on the tail stripe where it should have said " Daytona" was an "R/T" in purple (I'm sorry now I did not grab a camera and get some pics of this rolling abortion)
A year or two later we are again having the annual garage sale again and guess who shows up! The 70 Charger guy, but without his car. I still had my Demon and some Mopar parts for sale and he starts telling me he has a "one of 4" 70 Daytonas!!!!! The guy did not even remember bringing the car over, and that I have seen his fender tag!!!!!
But he is convinced that it's real because he has read so much about the 70 Daytona controversy on the Internet. I saw the car again a few years later (1998/1999 or so) at a local show with better paint (at least smoother), and  a new interior (not correct but a cloth "homemade" look). And sporting the black wing, but still no nose.
Fast-forward another few years to 2006. I have just moved back to Central Illinois, have a Superbird, and am at a local car show, when who would walk up and start talking about his "Daytona" but the old guy from Peoria Heights with the purple Charger! He starts comparing notes with me on how his Daytonas nose is a little different here and there, but looks a lot like mine. He doesn't take it to shows anymore because of all the flack he gets for it not being "real"! I actually believe that he honestly thinks his car is the real deal. He still can't put two and two together and realize that I saw his car at my house (pre-nose) and know he is full of s**t.
That would have been the end of my story except that about a year later there are two guys putting vinyl siding on a house next to mine and I happened to have the garage door open and the tail of the 'Bird in view of the public. The two guys come over and one starts talking about his V8 Monza, and other car stories, when they start talking about the Charger their dad just sold for $45,000!!!!!  Turns out it was a Purple 70 "Daytona" with the same big wing that I had on my Roadrunner.
Yes, it was the two sons of the old guy in Peoria Heights again!!!!!! They confirmed that this guy had a body shop fab up the nose and paint it. I saw the feature in MCG later and just laughed out loud! This is not a Daytona! I still amazes me how someone can just bolt a wing on a Charger probably at least 30 years ago and people still talk about this Frankenstein car like it was anything but a 1970 Charger with a big block!!! And a borrowed Daytona wing.
If I remember correctly it was a nice solid car, a 440 R/T, and it was a factory Purple car. Very nice indeed except for the "custom' nose and stitched interior.
Bottom line: Nice car! Goofy owner from early ninetys to a few years ago! I will also be at MMW and would love to see this car, as I have only seen pictures of the nose, but have never seen it in person.
OK this in now officially the longest thing I have typed since a college term paper and my two fingers are tired!
Than God for spell check or you probably couldn't even have read this far!
:brickwall:

you will have to , asked the current owner but he told me toronado nose hlp's buckets are what are on the car ?  just passing on his information   :Twocents: :Twocents:

hemigeno

That car was at the Jefferson City, Missouri Dodge Charger Registry meet (Wayne Wooten's group) back in 2006.  3--Daytona (Jim M.) and Jerry N. spent some time looking the car over and talking with the owner who had just purchased it.  IIRC, he was not convinced that Jim & Jerry were telling him the truth that the car was a clone.  I think it was represented as an authentic '70 Daytona by the seller, and the story 70Sbird posted doesn't surprise me at all.

I saw the car then myself, and thought the nose looked a little odd - especially when a regular Daytona nose is anywhere closeby for comparison.  With working headlights, they have accomplished something that many clones haven't conquered.   This car/nose is not my thing for certain, but the worst part of the whole deal by far is how the car was mis-represented as a '70 Daytona.

:Twocents:

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on August 05, 2008, 01:49:52 PM
That car was at the Jefferson City, Missouri Dodge Charger Registry meet (Wayne Wooten's group) back in 2006.  3--Daytona (Jim M.) and Jerry N. spent some time looking the car over and talking with the owner who had just purchased it.  IIRC, he was not convinced that Jim & Jerry were telling him the truth that the car was a clone.  I think it was represented as an authentic '70 Daytona by the seller, and the story 70Sbird posted doesn't surprise me at all.

I saw the car then myself, and thought the nose looked a little odd - especially when a regular Daytona nose is anywhere closeby for comparison.  With working headlights, they have accomplished something that many clones haven't conquered.   This car/nose is not my thing for certain, but the worst part of the whole deal by far is how the car was mis-represented as a '70 Daytona.

:Twocents:
He tells me he knew it was a clone from day one , but from your story maybe he is now just trying to save face? he is a super nice guy. I hate to think he was duped but sounds like that is the case . I met him for the first time last year at the 07 charger (TDC meet ) at jefferson city . then again at nebraska city tdc meet , then again last weekend.    He said he did trade an old mustang for it but it wasnt a shelby like the MCG mag article stated ,but the could be saving face also no idea ?

moparstuart

:popcrn:  The guy in the red shirt orange cap,with his wife in green next to him is the owner of the car .

Chris G.

Quote from: Drache on August 03, 2008, 09:24:36 PM
Now Dodge said it wasn't them but it was dealers using left over Daytona parts. Now if that DOES make them real Daytonas is up to who you ask,

Who you ask?

Why in 2008 are people still wondering if there were Factory 1970 Daytona's? There were not. A dealer conversion does not qualify a car as being REAL. Why is this so hard to understand by some???  :shruggy:

They are cool cars with great history, but not real Daytona's. As soon as there is proof on the table, you can all tell me to go to hell. Until then...well...you can still tell me to go to hell, but it better be for a different reason.  :P

moparstuart

Quote from: Chris G. on August 05, 2008, 04:21:39 PM
Quote from: Drache on August 03, 2008, 09:24:36 PM
Now Dodge said it wasn't them but it was dealers using left over Daytona parts. Now if that DOES make them real Daytonas is up to who you ask,

Who you ask?

Why in 2008 are people still wondering if there were Factory 1970 Daytona's? There were not. A dealer conversion does not qualify a car as being REAL. Why is this so hard to understand by some???  :shruggy:

They are cool cars with great history, but not real Daytona's. As soon as there is proof on the table, you can all tell me to go to hell. Until then...well...you can still tell me to go to hell, but it better be for a different reason.  :P
agree totally but you can still go to  #$#)  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:   just joshing 

Chris G.

Quote from: moparstuart on August 05, 2008, 04:36:08 PM
agree totally but you can still go to  #$#)  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:   just joshing 

:smilielol: It's gonna be hot down there.  :flame:

69_500

Gotta join in this one sooner or later right.

So just for arguments sake, what is the difference in a 1970 dealer conversion to a Daytona, and Creative Industries conversion to a Daytona in 1969? Neither one was the factory right?

Okay so I don't buy the whole 3 1970 Daytona's story either, but I will admit that Jerry's Purple Daytona was a dealer conversion done VERY VERY VERY Early, and to me is as legit of a wing car as the rest of them.

Blown70

Quote from: 69_500 on August 05, 2008, 04:44:00 PM
Gotta join in this one sooner or later right.

So just for arguments sake, what is the difference in a 1970 dealer conversion to a Daytona, and Creative Industries conversion to a Daytona in 1969? Neither one was the factory right?

Okay so I don't buy the whole 3 1970 Daytona's story either, but I will admit that Jerry's Purple Daytona was a dealer conversion done VERY VERY VERY Early, and to me is as legit of a wing car as the rest of them.

I would think that Chrysler licensed Creative to Make the daytonas.    Would it have been right for them to continue after Chrysler said stop?  The nijias would have show up like at PA..... (hehehe sorry could not help it)

Deal converstion is just that, not an original..... at least that is my opinion, as to me the value should NOT be significantly higher on a 70 dealer conversion.... AGAIN my opinion.

moparstuart

one different is they were factory commisioned and had factory standard for uniform construction ( they all had the same body parts installed ) in 69

if it was dealer done they could have just half made them or just made to what extent the customer requested  (clone)

Chris G.

Did standard Chargers have XX VIN's? What did XX stand for?

QuoteOkay so I don't buy the whole 3 1970 Daytona's story either, but I will admit that Jerry's Purple Daytona was a dealer conversion done VERY VERY VERY Early, and to me is as legit of a wing car as the rest of them.

The biggest problem with how legends and tall tales get started, are because of comments like that. Who cares if something was done in 1971 or 2008? It was still modified after it was purchased as a 1970 Charger R/T (chrome bumper and all). I can't stand guy's that had a paint job back in the 70's, and all of a sudden it's accepted as original, or some guy saying he added a nose and a wing way back before cars were cool. Why does that all of a sudden become accepted as "original"?

Sure Creative did the conversions on the 69's, but did they leave the dealerships as R/T's and then the owners drive into Creative to have the car done? Nope...but that's how Jerry's car came to what it is.

70Sbird

Hello again,
I just wanted to clarify that I am not doubting that a Toronado nose could have been hacked up and "adapted creatively" to this Charger, as I re-read my post I may have sounded like I was saying it was not. I just remember the guy's kids saying that the first attempt to create a nose for this car was out of fiberglass and wood. I guess that didn't work out so well and the guy had a bodyman create another nose. If you compare the pictures above it does look like the center section and headlight are straight off a Toronado.
As I said also in the above post I'm still amazed that anyone in this day and age would actually think that this was a Daytona, including the old guy who used to own the car. He fabricated the whole nose and story based on the fact that the car had a wing bolted to the quarters, and some stories on the internet. The sad part is that I really think the guy believed he had a 70 Daytona.
I also would have to wonder in this day and age why someone would spend large money on a car like this and not have it checked out. Even if they are not Mopar savvy, there are plenty of resources (such as this and other forums) that can help with information.
I'm looking forward to seeing the car in person.
:cheers:

Scott Faulkner

70Sbird

Here is the page from MCG with a funky front bumper like the "watermelon" Daytona
apparently the old guy read MCG too!
:scratchchin:

Scott Faulkner

Drache

Quote from: Chris G. on August 05, 2008, 04:56:50 PM

Did standard Chargers have XX VIN's? What did XX stand for?

QuoteOkay so I don't buy the whole 3 1970 Daytona's story either, but I will admit that Jerry's Purple Daytona was a dealer conversion done VERY VERY VERY Early, and to me is as legit of a wing car as the rest of them.

The biggest problem with how legends and tall tales get started, are because of comments like that. Who cares if something was done in 1971 or 2008? It was still modified after it was purchased as a 1970 Charger R/T (chrome bumper and all). I can't stand guy's that had a paint job back in the 70's, and all of a sudden it's accepted as original, or some guy saying he added a nose and a wing way back before cars were cool. Why does that all of a sudden become accepted as "original"?

Sure Creative did the conversions on the 69's, but did they leave the dealerships as R/T's and then the owners drive into Creative to have the car done? Nope...but that's how Jerry's car came to what it is.

It was said that these cars were purchased WITH the Daytona parts already on them, so it wasn't buying a R/T and then driving it into Creative to the car done, the cars were driven off the lot already done up as Daytona's....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Chris G.

Quote from: Drache on August 05, 2008, 05:42:35 PM
It was said that these cars were purchased WITH the Daytona parts

Drache, it was said where?

Drache

Quote from: Chris G. on August 05, 2008, 05:47:29 PM
Quote from: Drache on August 05, 2008, 05:42:35 PM
It was said that these cars were purchased WITH the Daytona parts

Drache, it was said where?

It was a website devoted to one of the so called "70 Dayontas". I had posted about it on the old forums and it started a huge debate there....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Chris G.

Quote from: Drache on August 05, 2008, 05:50:18 PM
It was a website devoted to one of the so called "70 Dayontas". I had posted about it on the old forums and it started a huge debate there....

Well here's an update...all cars were found to be converted after being sold to the public. Take that however you want, but that's reality.

There's no debate, No "what if's", it's a slam door closed case. 

Drache

Quote from: Chris G. on August 05, 2008, 05:54:21 PM
Quote from: Drache on August 05, 2008, 05:50:18 PM

Well here's an update...all cars were found to be converted after being sold to the public. Take that however you want, but that's reality.

There's no debate, No "what if's", it's a slam door closed case. 

wow someone is cranky....

I was only putting forth what was read....

Might not have been true but that was for someone to come forth and explain it.....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Troy

Quote from: moparstuart on August 05, 2008, 04:52:54 PM
one different is they were factory commisioned and had factory standard for uniform construction in 69
hahahahaha... "uniform construction". :D Have you looked at these things? (rhetorical question) Just hanging out with Danny, Gene, Doug, Jim, etc. I have learned that very few of these cars followed the instructions to a T. Quality control seemed to be an afterthought - if a thought at all. But, that's one of the things that makes these cars so cool (and so hard to duplicate).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

70Sbird

Troy,
I had never thought of it that way but you are correct!
Maybe if there was some uniformity back then, the scissors jack and hold down plate that took me a couple of years to buy might actually fit into the car without me having to relocate the hold down stud that I so carefully "preserved" when I replaced the trunk floor! :RantExplode:

I do agree with Chris G, if the car was sold as a Charger (1969 or 1970) without such things as a window plug, wing, or a nose, It is not a "real" Daytona.

Just my :Twocents:

Scott

Scott Faulkner

69_500

I wasn't intending to start a whole debate, just throwing out a comment. Jerry's car is a known dealer conversion, its as simple as that. However it was done in 1970 not 2008, and it was actually converted before the original owner ever picked the car up. So yes there are differences in that car than say something that someone is building today. Does it make it worth $1M , NO. Does it make it unique, YES. 

Oh and side note, not all of the 500's have XX on the dash vin either, just had to point that one out. There are at least 4 know 500's that don't have XX on the dash either. But they are still 500's.

Troy

Quote from: 70Sbird on August 05, 2008, 06:51:46 PM
Maybe if there was some uniformity back then, the scissors jack and hold down plate that took me a couple of years to buy might actually fit into the car without me having to relocate the hold down stud that I so carefully "preserved" when I replaced the trunk floor! :RantExplode:
:D Exactly! You aren't the only one with that particular issue either. These cars don't appear to have been assembled by "professionals".

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hotrod98

I for one feel that there was at least one car built at the factory with the Daytona components. I think that once the daytona deal was deemed dead, the car was either destroyed or converted back to a regular charger. Don't know which, but either way is plausible. No, I don't have proof, but there is some evidence that can't be explained away.
I don't think that there were any 70 Daytonas sold to the public other than dealer converted cars for the late-comers that still wanted a wing car.  :Twocents:

Charles Addams

Drache

Quote from: hotrod98 on August 05, 2008, 08:32:46 PM
I for one feel that there was at least one car built at the factory with the Daytona components. I think that once the daytona deal was deemed dead, the car was either destroyed or converted back to a regular charger. Don't know which, but either way is plausible. No, I don't have proof, but there is some evidence that can't be explained away.
I don't think that there were any 70 Daytonas sold to the public other than dealer converted cars for the late-comers that still wanted a wing car.  :Twocents:

Please dont think Im being sarcastic! What kind of evidence, Im truly interested! Feel free to PM me so we dont start any sort of debate of this  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

moparstuart

Quote from: Troy on August 05, 2008, 06:12:49 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on August 05, 2008, 04:52:54 PM
one different is they were factory commisioned and had factory standard for uniform construction in 69
hahahahaha... "uniform construction". :D Have you looked at these things? (rhetorical question) Just hanging out with Danny, Gene, Doug, Jim, etc. I have learned that very few of these cars followed the instructions to a T. Quality control seemed to be an afterthought - if a thought at all. But, that's one of the things that makes these cars so cool (and so hard to duplicate).

Troy

well i meant loosly uniform not like a guy going into a dealership and having them covert a car them ship it to the local corvette shop down the street to have a bumper installed and so forth . I'm just saying there is a big difference between a factory air conditioning car and a hack job dealer installed set up right ?

A383Wing

OK...not to start a big argument here....what about the so called '70 Daytona with the loop front bumper sitting in front of the Chrysler place with the snow on the ground?

Bryan  (just askin'....)

moparstuart

Quote from: Drache on August 05, 2008, 08:38:35 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on August 05, 2008, 08:32:46 PM

Please dont think Im being sarcastic! What kind of evidence, Im truly interested! Feel free to PM me so we dont start any sort of debate of this  :icon_smile_big:
I believe he's talking about the watermelon car that was pictured At chrysler but the car was not seen again to our knoledge after 70

Ghoste

As far as any real evidence to date, it's a clone that was somehow photographed on the property.  Chrysler says they didn't do it and no one has brought anything forward except those pics to say differently.  All it means is that someone had access to the car and property.

Drache

Quote from: Ghoste on August 05, 2008, 08:46:24 PM
As far as any real evidence to date, it's a clone that was somehow photographed on the property.  Chrysler says they didn't do it and no one has brought anything forward except those pics to say differently.  All it means is that someone had access to the car and property.

Three words: Mod Top Daytona  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on August 05, 2008, 08:46:24 PM
it was picture in the design lab also for years ?

hotrod98

Charles Addams

moparstuart

its great there hasnt been this much action and debate in the wingcar section in a while    :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :Twocents:

A383Wing

Didn't mean to cause a debate....  :popcrn:

Bryan (sounds like a few people here got their Cheerios pee'd in)   :smilielol:

Ghoste

Drache, I was quick to apologize to you for doubting the existence of the Mod Top Daytona but let us keep it in perspective to this discussion by remembering that it was not a factory Mod Top.
When evidence appears that the Watermelon Daytona is legit, I'll apologize for doubting it as well.  Until then, I'm still waiting for somebody to prove it.  Beuhler?  Beuhler?

BigBlockSam

Quotesounds like a few people here got their Cheerios pee'd in)   

:smilielol: :lol:   you made me spit my drink out , i needed that .
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

Quote from: moparstuart on August 05, 2008, 09:22:23 PM
its great there hasnt been this much action and debate in the wingcar section in a while    :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :Twocents:

That's cuz Larry's off boating.

Drache

Quote from: Ghoste on August 05, 2008, 10:42:56 PM
Drache, I was quick to apologize to you for doubting the existence of the Mod Top Daytona but let us keep it in perspective to this discussion by remembering that it was not a factory Mod Top.
When evidence appears that the Watermelon Daytona is legit, I'll apologize for doubting it as well.  Until then, I'm still waiting for somebody to prove it.  Beuhler?  Beuhler?

Wasn't me who you talked to about the Mod top daytona, I didnt even know what a mod top was until a couple months ago  :icon_smile_big:

The reason I said it was BECAUSE it was not a factory top! No 70 Daytonas were made like that from the factory!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

pettybird

i'm gonna paint my '93 Ranger's hood black, throw a couple Home Depot-sourced "T" letters on it and call it a long lost Talladega. 

If it didn't leave the factory as a real car, it isn't real, unless it goes to a dedicated shop that has a constructor's license, such as Saleen, or the dealer's reputation is what makes the conversion special (Mr. Norm's, Nikkey, Yenko, etc.)  Then, though, it's a true dealership conversion and NOT built by the manufacturer.

need a better example?  the blue Hemi 500 from Florida that's been wearing Daytona sheetmetal since the 70's.  it sold for what, 80 grand?  that was a TRUE XX car, a TRUE Hemi car, but it wasn't a true Hemi Daytona!

70Sbird

OK Doug,
But isn't your Marty Robbins Daytona a rare original factory color option????
:nana:

Scott Faulkner

Ghoste

Sorry Drache, I got you mixed up with someone else (Charger Punk) there.  It's that west coast thing I guess.

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on August 05, 2008, 11:04:31 PM
i'm gonna paint my '93 Ranger's hood black, throw a couple Home Depot-sourced "T" letters on it and call it a long lost Talladega. 

If it didn't leave the factory as a real car, it isn't real, unless it goes to a dedicated shop that has a constructor's license, such as Saleen, or the dealer's reputation is what makes the conversion special (Mr. Norm's, Nikkey, Yenko, etc.)  Then, though, it's a true dealership conversion and NOT built by the manufacturer.

need a better example?  the blue Hemi 500 from Florida that's been wearing Daytona sheetmetal since the 70's.  it sold for what, 80 grand?  that was a TRUE XX car, a TRUE Hemi car, but it wasn't a true Hemi Daytona!

not to mention , All daytonas and 500's came out of creative with rear window plug and shortened decklids,
  Thats the uniform  standard for these cars. If anyone comes on here with a clone with out a plug thats the first thing they get roasted for .
The dealership/ paying customer didnt want to do the body and paint work involve to make these 70 clones even look correct !

Cool history having the earliest clones thats for sure but not real factory cars ! 

62 Max

Ah,the joys of having a real car!  :popcrn:

pettybird

Quote from: 62 Max on August 06, 2008, 07:39:47 PM
Ah,the joys of having a real car!  :popcrn:

+11110298434636098252091743245098243765234509128375124234346985674596783245

moparstuart

I think the nose looked much better with the loop bumper and without the awefull strange shaped grille cut out .