News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Universal Parts direct fit big block Mopar aluminum radiator

Started by 1970440RT, July 27, 2005, 03:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970440RT

I just bought a Universal Parts ( Ebay store ) aluminum radiator including the shroud and 2 electric fans for around $500.00.  This rad was the direct fit style for mopar Big Blocks.  This set up was purchased to replace a Griffin Aluminum radiator ( universal fit ) that I bought 4 years ago and have spent countless hours trying to get right.  With my original factory rad, cooling my eddy headed 440 was hopeless so I bought the generic Griffin aluminum one, figuring cooling with that would be easy.  Boy was I wrong.  I couldn't get a shroud to mount correctly to do its job ( went through many junkyard shrouds, cutting and patching, with no luck ), not to mention the many clutch/ mechanical / electric fan combos.  Can anyone say do it right the first time?  I was finally fed up enough to plunk down the green to buy the one from Universal Parts.  This set up is great.  The fit was perfect, shipping was quick, and the best thing is that it works!  It has been 90 to 100 degrees with about the same % humidity here in Steelerland and never over 200 deg. water temp.  ( even with gratuitous burn outs! ).  The only thing the kit did not come with was an adjustable thermostatic fan switch which Advance Auto had in stock for $25.00.  Here are some pics:

1970440RT

A couple more pics:

and yes it is in a Challenger, that car has 7 years seniority over my Charger ( but it is next in line to get one! )

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looks like a nice, clean install.    Thanks for the heads up!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

rebby

Does that have the cooler setup for the auto? What hoses did you use?
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

1970440RT

Reb, yes the rad comes with an internal tranny cooler.  I didn't use it because I already had an external tranny cooler as a result of using the Griffin.  You would need to buy the fittings though because the rad has threaded holes to receive them. ( not nipples like the stock rad. )  The hoses were stockers that were cut and aluminized pipe inserted to give me the length I needed.  You can see the top hose in one of the pics.