News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Opinion on future value of classics as new electric cars emerge?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, August 12, 2008, 12:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

This has been bugging me for awhile.  I can't seem to get a confident feeling on this subject.  The new Camaro is due next year, then the Fantastic Chevy Volt.  This is the beginning of electric cars as I see it.  This is big, real big.  Soon after the volt other companies will be introducing the all new plug in cars, with generator back up.  The Honda FCX Clarity now roaming the streets of CA on Hydrogen might also be common in our future?  Big question is , what will this do for the old Dinosaurs we are driving ( sorry ).  That along with the fear of collecting dying off as we die off, Or will these take the other turn and become huge Americana collectables of a time now past?    I think when most people have quiet electric cars in one bay, the classic in the other will be worth even more.  What are your thoughts and have you thought about this also?   :shruggy:  It seems the new Challenger hasn't hurt prices for the originals at all?  I would think a sharp looking Camaro SS conv or 2 dr Charger would be the same case, just proving that a more modern version was created because of the deep respect for the original.  Yes?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Brock Samson

i think your worrying for no reason.
sure things are changing but jumping on whatever bandwagon comes along is not a smart way to proceed.
you'r better off buying a regular high mileage Civic or even an older chevy Metro if saving gas/$ is your goal.
these electric hydrogen vehicles have still to be sorted out and there really no infrastructure for them yet.
wait to see what the Tesla sedan will be like...
by the time that's actually on the market we'll all have a much better indication of the best course of action.

remember when mobile phones first came out, they were the size of a briefcase and cost many thousands of dollors.

Don't be going all green on us now...

Harlow

Even with the invention (or maybe even perfection) of other alternative fuel cars I don't see the use of gasoline powered cars dying out very soon at all. It will decline but I don't see everyone in the United States throwing away their current or older vehicles (work trucks come to mind) in the near future. Its definitely going to get more and more popular as they become more affordable and well established. 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 12, 2008, 12:30:08 PM
i think your worrying for no reason.
sure things are changing but jumping on whatever bandwagon comes along is not a smart way to proceed.
you'r better off buying a regular high mileage Civic or even an older chevy Metro if saving gas/$ is your goal.
these electric hydrogen have still to be sorted out,..
Don't be going all green on us now...
Don't worry about me, I ain't going green.  In fact I brag to all my buddies how they should thank me for spewing out tons of poisonous fumes doing my job to keep global warming active.  CT is getting warmer each winter,  :icon_smile_big:. Between my gas guzzling BB Charger and winter coal burning stove I'm happy to help keep my neighbors warm. :laugh:   Just curious if theses classics will go up or down as the automotive evolution continues on.  I think it's closer than you realize.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Brock Samson

I live in the land of the Prius, every fouth car here is a hybred or smart car...
that's fine for them,.. but not me.
now I may reduce my herd down to two vehicles, perhaps my eveyday ride will be a neo Chally SE stick in a couple years but i doubt I'll ever be able to part with my Parade Float...
even if i have to keep her in the garage and sit in the drivers seat making varrrooom varrrooom noises...  :shruggy:
it's value is to me pricless. and from the reaction it gets out on the street most folks think so too, they stop and swivel their heads, point wave and say something appreciative. I don't even think new Ferraris and Aston Martins get the props my Skunk does.

:wave: :wave: :wave: :patriot: :wave: :wave: :punkrocka: :wave: :patriot: :METAL: :no: :wave: :wave: :faint: :wave:  :drool5:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 12, 2008, 12:47:18 PM
I live in the land of the Prius, every fourth car here is a hybrid or smart car...
that's fine for them,.. but not me.
now I may reduce my herd down to two vehicles, perhaps my everyday ride will be a neo Chally SE stick in a couple years but i doubt I'll ever be able to part with my Parade Float...
even if i have to keep her in the garage and sit in the drivers seat making varrrooom varrrooom noises...  :shruggy:
it's value is to me pricless. and from the reaction it gets out on the street most folks think so too, they stop and swivel their heads, point wave and say something appreciative. I don't even think new Ferraris and Aston Martins get the props my Skunk does.

:wave: :wave: :wave: :patriot: :wave: :wave: :punkrocka: :wave: :patriot: :METAL: :no: :wave: :wave: :faint: :wave:  :drool5:
The Prius thing is my point.  Trust me when The sharp looking Volt hits the streets with super fuel economy to boot, things will change , fast.   I hear ya on the reaction thing.  Everytime I make a run in my car I end up having long great conversations with people I meet.  " Sit in the car and go VVvvrooom"  That's funny.  ;D

Aero426

As far as being able to use our cars, this is a total non issue.  We are a LONG way from gasoline being unavailable.   And even it if was, there will still be technologies developed to keep old cars running.

Value?  Who knows.  For the short term, 20-30 years, I see no problem at all.   Cars like the Charger will always be good looking and in demand to some degree.   We are a society that lives on nostalgia.

WingCharger

I have several different theories on what could happen:

1. The volt is so popular that it becomes the most popular car, and classics are forgotten.

2. Classics skyrocket when more fuel efficent battery cars become common.

3. Classics are outlawed by the goverment to conserve fuel and save the enviroment. :'( (Please note: Many crazy enviro groups are trying to outlaw muscle cars. REALLY! Straight from a groups speech I saw on TV: "Me must outlaw and remove all performance vehicles built before 1974!! They are polluting monsters!)

Oh, I heard a prius yesterday. Guess what they sound like? IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GAY... :smilielol:

They Volt is actually pretty cool looking, and im sure some green group will bash it for being to wide. :slap:

Aero426

Quote from: WingCharger on August 12, 2008, 04:49:26 PM
I have several different theories on what could happen:

1. The volt is so popular that it becomes the most popular car, and classics are forgotten.

2. Classics skyrocket when more fuel efficent battery cars become common.

3. Classics are outlawed by the goverment to conserve fuel and save the enviroment. :'( (Please note: Many crazy enviro groups are trying to outlaw muscle cars. REALLY! Straight from a groups speech I saw on TV: "Me must outlaw and remove all performance vehicles built before 1974!! They are polluting monsters!)

Oh, I heard a prius yesterday. Guess what they sound like? IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GAY... :smilielol:

They Volt is actually pretty cool looking, and im sure some green group will bash it for being to wide. :slap:

Wing,

The thing to remember here at your age,  is that in a few years, you will have the ability to help choose who leads the country.   You have the ability now to lead your peers away from the green Kool Aid being served up for your generation as the "in thing".    Alternative technologies are certainly needed for the future, but there needs to be a realistic balance.

hotrod98

Back in 1980, we were told that we would never see fuel with ratings above 87 octane again. I sold several big block cars that would be worth a lot of money today because I believed the government. Won't happen again. I just don't believe anything they say. I drive my cars and it hurt like hell to see them sitting in the garage and the driveway and thinking that they had become relics. I tried octane booster and anything else I could think of just so that I could drive them, but nothing worked. It was a dark period in my life.
I've already converted some of my e-bodies to late model drivelines and who knows, one of them may end up with an electric or hybrid driveline some day. Never say never.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

RD

Quote from: WingCharger on August 12, 2008, 04:49:26 PM

what they dont realize is that a honda civic with a bad O2 sensor will spew out worse pollutants than a finely tuned muscle car... stupid people come up with many reasons as to why these cars need to be gone.  what they dont realize is that all the cars 74 and below that actually participate in putting CO2 into the air is less than 1% of all the vehicles in the US.  Again, stupid people come up with many reasons as to why these cars need to be gone :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

CharcoalCharger

Jay Leno once said it is better to drive an old car than a new one.  He said if you take the energy used to build a car today, and some people buy a new one every few years, the factories pollute more than his 40-50 year old car.  Plus you have all these used cars sitting around.  I think our cars value will hold fairly steady.  The real expensive cars may come down, but for the most part they will be worth something to someone.    :Twocents:

six-tee-nine

That's also true but do not underestimate the power of the car induestries. They don't care about the environment but they wanna sell as much cars as they can.

What worries me the most these days are the things like i hear of some tree hugging guys : they wanna make everyone pay extra tax for cars older than 5 year because they pollute more than younger cars.
But they don't care if you can afford a new car every five year (maybe thats a stupid thing to say when you spend $ 50.000 on the resto of a vintage car) but heck you know what I mean.
And i does not make sence..... I know sales people driving 150.000 miles in 4 years then they get a new car (Ok according to the hugger guys)
Me, I'll do 100.000 miles in 15 years......then my decent Diesel burning economical VW still is'nt worn out..... but still i'll be the big polluter since I drive a 15 year old car......

Oh boy don't get me started.......Too late I'm angry now :flame:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

bull

I'm happy to finally see some variety in the automotive industry's propulsion choices. Comepetition is good. Variety is good. Investment diversity is good. Therefore it's good to have gas-powered cars as well as hybrid cars, fuel cell cars and electric cars.

That said I believe there will always be gas. It may not be available on every corner someday like it is now but it will always be there. I can see the possibility of it getting as scarce as racing gas is now but that's decades away IMO. How long has it taken the industry to come up with a semi-viable electric car? How much longer will it be before they build one that the average Joe can afford and transport his family in? I think it's going to be a win-win for new technology and classics.

WingCharger

Quote from: hotrod98 on August 12, 2008, 06:33:01 PM
Back in 1980, we were told that we would never see fuel with ratings above 87 octane again. I sold several big block cars that would be worth a lot of money today because I believed the government. Won't happen again. I just don't believe anything they say. I drive my cars and it hurt like hell to see them sitting in the garage and the driveway and thinking that they had become relics. I tried octane booster and anything else I could think of just so that I could drive them, but nothing worked. It was a dark period in my life.
I've already converted some of my e-bodies to late model drivelines and who knows, one of them may end up with an electric or hybrid driveline some day. Never say never.

I have always wondered what will happen to classics when gasoline is phased completly out? :-\
Maybe some smart feller will invent a conversion kit for MOPARs to run them on electric or hybrid.

1969chargerrtse

I've been commenting on the future of Hydrogen cars for some time now,and people kinda shrug it off like it's far in the future.  Well I took a coffee run in the Charger this morning and low and behold on the front page of the paper was an article about how there was a Hydrogen car convoe yesterday throughout our state and how we are building the first station next year and the town of hamden in CT will run town vehicles and on and on.  Wow, this is exciting.  It stated there were 60 stations in the US at the moment and how Hydrogen is not only clean but unlimited.  With the Honda's running around in CA, and several stations there, IT"S COMING FASTER THAN YOU THINK, and I'm super excited to be heading in a direction that will allow us to finally have an unlimited supply of fuel for our cars, and not from people that live in caves and want us dead.  YA HOO!  I'm leaving for the day, but I will read the article again and give more info on it.

moparstuart

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 13, 2008, 08:17:04 AM
I've been commenting on the future of Hydrogen cars for some time now,and people kinda shrug it off like it's far in the future.  Well I took a coffee run in the Charger this morning and low and behold on the front page of the paper was an article about how there was a Hydrogen car convoe yesterday throughout our state and how we are building the first station next year and the town of hamden in CT will run town vehicles and on and on.  Wow, this is exciting.  It stated there were 60 stations in the US at the moment and how Hydrogen is not only clean but unlimited.  With the Honda's running around in CA, and several stations there, IT"S COMING FASTER THAN YOU THINK, and I'm super excited to be heading in a direction that will allow us to finally have an unlimited supply of fuel for our cars, and not from people that live in caves and want us dead.  YA HOO!  I'm leaving for the day, but I will read the article again and give more info on it.
there was a guy back in the 70's and early 80's here in blue springs missouri (roger billings)  who build hydrogen cars and everyone laughed at him !!!      These sound like the way to go with only water as a byproduce/ehaust emisison .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

WingCharger

I had seen on TV, that you can run a carbureted gasoline engine on hydrogen. They did it using a hose and tank, and shot it directly into the top of the carb.  :yesnod:
It was a late 70's Monte Carlo, and it ran like a bat out o hell! It had to be started with gasoline, but it ran on hydrogen. The way they did it wasnt practical, but it proves a point!

Oh, does Chrysler have a vehicle in development like the volt? If they dont, I hate to say this, they better get their asses going!

dodgecharger-fan

I still can't get passed the idea that the pursuit of these alternative propulsion systems is like trampling through an uncharted piece of the rain forest, stomping on all the previously undiscovered plants and insects, to save the last monkey known in the area.

The end doesn't necessarily Justify the means.

Yes, the end result is a vehicle that produces less pollution, but at what cost, in terms of pollution and energy consumption, does it take to create that vehicle?

There just seems to be a lot of information that says it takes a lot more energy, and creates a lot more - and nastier - pollution to create these cars.

For me the jury is still out.

If I could get a vehicle that pollutes my immediate neighbourhood less and saves me a buck or two in the short term, I'd be happy to call the whole pollution thing a wash - less emissions in my driveway cost more emissions at the factory = the same overall pollution factor. I'm not saying it IS that, I'm saying I'd be less inclined to dismiss the new propulsion systems if this were the case. If everyone made their own little piece of the world a cleaner place, then the whole world will benefit. Stop trying to fix the globe, just fix your immediate space.

All that said, I'm fairly certain that I'm not the only person thinking this way and I'm 100% certain that there are others that don't want to give up gasoline. So, gas will be around for a long time to come.

I do sincerely hope that some of these alternatives to gas are successful and that the world is a better place because of them, but for now, I'm just not convinced that they've got it right. We've got to start somewhere though.

Brock Samson

PocketThunder

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on August 13, 2008, 09:53:59 AM
I still can't get passed the idea that the pursuit of these alternative propulsion systems is like trampling through an uncharted piece of the rain forest, stomping on all the previously undiscovered plants and insects, to save the last monkey known in the area.

The end doesn't necessarily Justify the means.

Yes, the end result is a vehicle that produces less pollution, but at what cost, in terms of pollution and energy consumption, does it take to create that vehicle?

There just seems to be a lot of information that says it takes a lot more energy, and creates a lot more - and nastier - pollution to create these cars.

For me the jury is still out.

If I could get a vehicle that pollutes my immediate neighbourhood less and saves me a buck or two in the short term, I'd be happy to call the whole pollution thing a wash - less emissions in my driveway cost more emissions at the factory = the same overall pollution factor. I'm not saying it IS that, I'm saying I'd be less inclined to dismiss the new propulsion systems if this were the case. If everyone made their own little piece of the world a cleaner place, then the whole world will benefit. Stop trying to fix the globe, just fix your immediate space.

All that said, I'm fairly certain that I'm not the only person thinking this way and I'm 100% certain that there are others that don't want to give up gasoline. So, gas will be around for a long time to come.

I do sincerely hope that some of these alternatives to gas are successful and that the world is a better place because of them, but for now, I'm just not convinced that they've got it right. We've got to start somewhere though.

I'm with you dc-f.   The Hydrogen doesnt just get pumped out of the ground and delivered to the filling station.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_production
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

suntech

There are always radical enviremental freaks that think they have the answer on everything.
At least here in Norway, and i guess that goes for most of the world, most of them are young, urban people, that think that all travelling tasks can be solved by using train and buses etc. They have never had to own a car, since they live in the middle of a big city, so they have never faced the tasks that needs to be handled if you live on the country-side. Force them to move out to something they would call "middle of nowhere", and force them to use their solution of handling normal everyday tasks, like getting groceries, getting kids to school and different activities, in a place with no railway system, and 2 buses a day......... That would teach them a lesson!!!
These people seems to think that electricity also is something that you automatically get, when you plug in to the wall, and don't realize that it has to be made. They are of cause against nuclear plants, so we will need a few thousand Hoover Dams!!!! Then, when electricity prices are going trough the room, due to lack of it, they will be the first ones to bitch about it, because they are "enviremental friendly" and should not be penalized for that!!!
Here in Europe, we where inspired by our governments to buy diesel cars, with cat. and particle filters, to be enviremental friendly,and the next thing they do, when a big enough crowd has done so,  is to raise the price on............Diesel!!!
E 85 is supposed to be environmentally friendly, but it affects the corn prices!!!!
But........................ all this is about the things we do to handle what needs to be done on daily bases, and not really the hobby part of our lives IMO.
I do not think Nascar, World Rally Championchip, Formula 1 etc. will suffer from gas prices. Nor do i think the Classic cars will suffer from it. You might drive it a little less, if you used to drive it every day, but in most cases it is the #2 car anyway, so there is another, less thirsty car sitting beside it in the garage. There will always be people that loves classic cars, and i have a very hard time to believe that this stuff will affect their value in a negative way.  :Twocents:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 13, 2008, 10:11:36 AM
  The expression is, Think Globally, Act Locally,..

That's it. However. I think that expression has caused a lot problems. Most people can't think globally. It's too abstract.

The message needs to be more concrete and to do that, it needs to address the local aspect directly. Never mind that it will help things in a global scale, just get them to focus on something that they can do locally and make it specific and concrete and the message will stick a whole lot better.

dodgecharger-fan

Suntech, if you drag them out in to the middle of nowhere, they'll find a lot less pollution than they are used to in the big city (where all the buses are) and start to wonder what all the fuss is about. You'll burst their big city bubble and crush their tree huggin hearts.
Whatever will they bitch and moan about then?  ;)  :smilielol:

suntech

QuoteWhatever will they bitch and moan about then?   

Hehe, i´ll bet good money that they would find something!!! maybe the sound of the neighbors tractor??? :smilielol: :smilielol:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!