News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headliner and trim related info

Started by v21hemicharger, August 17, 2008, 04:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

v21hemicharger

I am trying to establish a list of the parts needed to rebuild a 69 Charger.  The posts by shakey are very helpful, but sometimes the screws clips are not included.  I have a new camera that takes big pics and am trying to resize so lets hope it works.  Mike

So, I have decided to make a reference for my Charger since I have my Hemi Charger to restore next.  I have taken off every nut and bolt and now have to put it all back together.  So here is my plan.    Since I have restored most of my sub-assemblies, I will not deal with that in this post, like the dash and steering column, but will include the windows and regulators.  Since I needed to install the headliner and needed the trim pieces and clips, I will start there. 

v21hemicharger

So the pics work, here's what I wrote up.

Here are the headliner bows.  There are six larger and two small bows for the Charger.  On the ends of the small bows are clips that push in to the sail panel area.  See above pics.

The other trim I needed is the front headliner retainer and the side headliner trim.  I am not sure of the correct names for these pieces, so I will give "descriptions".

The side trim is held on by clips and screws at one end.

The front headliner retainer is held by screws that fasten to a special clip that is pushed in after the headliner is installed. 

v21hemicharger

The sail panel has a type of curved fiberboard that is clipped in.  I have also seen these with a type of nail used to secure them.  Here is the clip in my car.  The sail panels come covered and uncovered.  I used the originals for this car since I ordered covered replacements.

The headliner bows are held into the car with these next clips.  Two per bow.

v21hemicharger

Around the rear window there are four metal strips that are held by special clips and screws.  They attach to the body and the headliner hooks to them

There are also two wires that hold the rear headliner bow that are inserted into the body.  Also see next post.

v21hemicharger

Here is a shot of the rear retainer with the clips.

There is rear trim that is put on once the headliner is in.  New pieces are available from Trim Parts.  These are the screws that were in my car.  I am unsure of the finish as these appear to be painted.

The other things you will need are the coat hangers, rearview mirror, sun visors, dome light and seatbelt clips and the shoulder belt.  I have decided to delete all but the rearview mirror and dome light on my current project.  Here is the wiring that goes up the A pillar for the dome light.

v21hemicharger

So there are the pieces and parts that are needed to put in a headliner and trim it out.  Besides the screws for the front, rear and side headliner trim I believe I have covered them all.

Next up will be the doors and quarter.  It will be a few days so hang tight.

Also, should I keep it in one post or make new ones?

Mike

tan top

good details   :yesnod:   ....    headliner bows are color coded  :yesnod:
   with paint on the  last 3" s on the passenger side   
 FRONT     

1  TAN
2  SUBLIME
3  BLUE
4  PINK
5  VIOLET/LAVENDER
6   BARE METAL /OR BLACK

thought this would be of use   for referance
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tomdroptop

WQW cool post I must say. I am actually in need of the one side of the rear bow with 2 clips that looks like this

if anyone has 2 clips & the small bow I will buy it.
Only need 1 bow & 2 clips as I have one side now.

Shakey

Very cool post indeed!

Thanks for sharing all of this.   :cheers:

tomdroptop

Be even cooler If someone had what I need, LOL

Dodge Don

On a 70 Charger there are 6 full length bows and 2 short sail panel bows (1 per side). The 6 passenger side bow ends are colour coded to keep them organized...the furthest front one is yellow...then moving to the rear they are green, blue, pink, purple and black...in that order. The sailpanel short bows are not colour coded.

tomdroptop

Shakey

How about a checklist of all of the items that need preparation prior to installing the headliner?

I am thinking about having the coat hooks on hand, not sure if the seat belts (shoulder) need to be installed at the same time or the sun visors for that matter.

Has anyone found out the hard way what should have been addressed before installation takes place?

:popcrn:

v21hemicharger

The only things that I didn't picture were the headliner clips that I put on the sides at the seams, and the package tray.  Again, I left off the coat hooks, sunvisors, shoulder belts and the shoulderbelt clips that attach at the sunvisor mounts, but those are the only items that would be needed as far as I can tell.

Back N Black